what to look for when buying?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 510 guru friend told me to make sure it runs when I got mine, check the floors,rockers, and trunk for bad cancer and rust

Yes, running is the key factor. My 15 year old has found a few non runners around here and asked if we could put a porsche 928 motor, and trans-axle in them since they don't run. And of course checking for cancer in the obvious areas, but i expect some since i live in Missouri. And i've read up about the car, some people think they are fragile death traps and others say you just can not hurt them. But anything else besides bent frames, rust and such? Beacause i was looking for a bit more on information from a mechanical standpoint.

Make sure you're buying a Datsun.

:rofl: ... Micro... sersiously... i like seeing your name pop up on threads.. allways good for a laugh

but back on subject...

wiring.... some datsuns have spent time with teenagers that want a "bangin" stereo, and the go around and hack all the wires to hell... well that actually goes for any teenager owned car...

Please dont do a porsche motor. V8s are no fun in these cars (too much front weight). Also there are a myriad of other motors, lots of them being nissan, that will work alot better. If you want power, SR20DET. For a 15 year old. KA24DE with plans to turbo eventually.

It really comes down to budget...Id suggest you get a 4 door with all the typical shit everyone looks for..jack it up check tires,brakes,brake rubber lines,wheel bearings,steering slop,shock rebound..etc..then when the engine is cold and hasnt been started have the owner start it up while you stand near the tail pipe..watch for smoke and listen for smoothness of idle.When the Owner cranks the engine over listen to the intervals for even compression against the starter as it cranks over..if the motor cranks over with an even crank crank crank sound its an indicator that the cylinders all have comparable compression.open the hood and check the coolant condition and smell the oil for a fuel smell.Next get into the car and while the engine is running turn the heater on and check the floor ender the heater core.Next pull back the carpet or rubber mats around the steering column and pedals and check for wetness on the inner firewall around the brake master and clutch master.After doing that ,push the clutch in,put it in gear and slowly let the clutch out and see how high the pedal is before the clutch begins to enguage..Now for the test drive assuming its warmed up..ALWAYS warm these engines up before putting too much load to them..On your test drive listen for rear end noise and trans noise..Hit the breaks does the pedal pulse or does the car pull one way or the other?.Try to find one that hasnt been sitting too long.

Hope my short story helps :-)