New 67 411 SSS owner

gwb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun.

In case you don't know, the 411 SSS (aka RL-411) got the R16 motor from the roadster. Couple things done to make it fit the smaller 411 engine compartment (exhaust through the fender, tilted intake manifold, shorter water pump, etc, etc), however, the basic R16 is still the later 5-main bearing R16 that came in the later roadsters.

My point is that you'll find tons of info regarding the engine from the roadster folks on 311s.org and the roadster mailing list.

The alternator was mounted on the passenger side on the early roadsters, and the driver's side on the later ones starting in 67-1/2 or '68....near the exhaust so they can fail faster. /rolls eyes. Common upgrade is GM alternator mounted on passenger side. I did it on my '66 roadster, but not sure if there's space in the 411. Them Chebbie alts is mitey beeg. You might investigate using the smaller Saturn or KA alt.

Pete

Welcome to Ratsun.

In case you don't know, the 411 SSS (aka RL-411) got the R16 motor from the roadster. Couple things done to make it fit the smaller 411 engine compartment (exhaust through the fender, tilted intake manifold, shorter water pump, etc, etc), however, the basic R16 is still the later 5-main bearing R16 that came in the later roadsters.

Pete

The version of the 1600 mid cam push rod type R engine used in the RL411s is the basic 3 main bearing SAE fastener engine, not the late 5 main bearing metric fastener engine. The 5 main bearing engine first appeared in the '1968 and a half" Roadster. There are some RL411s with "production dates" purporting to be 1969 and later with versions of the metric engine but I have no confidence in their authenticity. It's too easy to get a forged ID plate these days.

Some pics of my wiring

img3089s.jpg[/url]"

This is the headlight relay and from the looks of the corrosion on it you are in trouble.

"img3091n.jpg[/url]

This is the automatic transmission starter relay.

"img3092.jpg[/url]

Not the original fuse block!

"img3093jy.jpg[/url]

Why is the coil resistor floating over the windshield washer reservoir?

Thanks for the info! I would appreciate it if you could locate that part # for the lower radiator house, that would be great!

The Goodyear part number is 61572. It is a plain black rubber unit but can be covered in slip-on nylon braid to simulate the OEM unit. It has the distinct advantage of being able to provide both the upper and lower hose with a single well placed cut.

The "possibly Gates" part number is (D)71379. A reasonably literate parts counter employee should be able to cross reference it. It is fully braided and has an internal spring to prevent collapse. It would be possible to get both upper and lower hases from one unit, but they will be a bit too short and so under tension. It is better to use 2 hoses and trim the ends and cut to exactly fit. Looks absolutely stock when assembled.

I am going to post this as a separate subject since I think others may be interested also. Good luck!

The Goodyear part number is 61572. It is a plain black rubber unit but can be covered in slip-on nylon braid to simulate the OEM unit. It has the distinct advantage of being able to provide both the upper and lower hose with a single well placed cut.

The "possibly Gates" part number is (D)71379. A reasonably literate parts counter employee should be able to cross reference it. It is fully braided and has an internal spring to prevent collapse. It would be possible to get both upper and lower hases from one unit, but they will be a bit too short and so under tension. It is better to use 2 hoses and trim the ends and cut to exactly fit. Looks absolutely stock when assembled.

I am going to post this as a separate subject since I think others may be interested also. Good luck!

Thanks for the help Mike!

Welcome!! I remember this thread from IA! lol (I'm metalmatt)

Let me know if you ever need a hand with her cool.gif I'd be happy to help.

Haha hey man, thanks for the offer! I know I'll be needing some help down the line

Just got the serial no. RL411006130

State of GA 08814

Where can I find the date code?

What date code are you talking about? Should be on the VIN plate.

Pete

Where is the VIN/serial plate located? There was a Georgia issued on on the driver's side door jam, but that is all I could find. The vin should be RL411006130, but that does not tell me the date

Okay, so the VIN plate is missing. The tail lights and grille mean it's April 1966 or later. I'm guessing the title and/or registration say 1967.

What date are you specifically looking for?

What's the engine serial number? It's stamped onto a small flat area on the front, passenger side of the block, near the head.

Pete

Okay, so the VIN plate is missing. The tail lights and grille mean it's April 1966 or later. I'm guessing the title and/or registration say 1967.

What date are you specifically looking for?

What's the engine serial number? It's stamped onto a small flat area on the front, passenger side of the block, near the head.

Pete

Pete, thank you for the info. I am trying to verify that it is a 1967 car. The number of the engine block says R32277

Thanks

Pete, thank you for the info. I am trying to verify that it is a 1967 car. The number of the engine block says R32277

Thanks

According to Nissan, these are the R16 engine numbers starting each model year:

1966 R-02000

1967 R-18000

1967.5 R-40000 (beginning of 5-main bearing engine)

1968 R-58000

So, you definitely have a 3-main bearing engine. Highly likely it's a gen-u-wine 1967 if that's the original engine.

Pete

According to Nissan, these are the R16 engine numbers starting each model year:

1966 R-02000

1967 R-18000

1967.5 R-40000 (beginning of 5-main bearing engine)

1968 R-58000

So, you definitely have a 3-main bearing engine. Highly likely it's a gen-u-wine 1967 if that's the original engine.

Pete

Your numbering appears to be correct for the roadsters. My 1967 RL411 has a 12xxx series engine number [which looks close to the chasis number]. RL411 engine and chasis numbers diverge due to dealer conservatiism. My dealer imported 5 sedans and a spare engine due to all the engine mods to fit the engine into the sedan [he didn't have full disclosure at the time he ordered as to the extent of modifications]. A few such orders can throw off the identical numbers ala BMW 2002 which had identical chassis and engine numbers before owners started switching the engines.