New 67 411 SSS owner

gwb

Bought this a week ago and started doing basic things on the car. Just ordered a new coil, caps, rotor, wires, etc... today. I know she's rough, but she's not as bad as she looks. See below for pics. Apologizing in advance if the pictures are too large

img3009c.jpg

img3014ep.jpg

img3008r.jpg

img3011lt.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MORE!!!!! :D

EDIT: oh yeah, welcome to ratsun. :rolleyes:

now go take more pics and give us some info on your datsun

Thanks!

Unfortunately at some point during her life, the owners removed the dual carbs and jerry rigged a 1barrel Carter on it. Can you guys tell from the pics if the stock dual carb manifold is there? Also looking for a high res image of how the lower radiator hose is supposed to route.

img3037m.jpg

img3038f.jpg

img3041dq.jpg

She's got the typical rust on the the rockers

img3039.jpg

Nice !!! welcome to ratsun. I cant wait to see this one evolve!!

Awesome car!! I'm sure you'll find a wealth of helpful knowledge and helpful people here on Ratsun! I know I have...:thumbup:

Welcome to Ratsun. Love the car. It looks like the intake is there. If you need pictures of items PM me and I will be glad to help

Thanks all, much appreciated! I plan on putting the new ignition stuff in tomorrow and then give a shot at starting her. I'll post results later!

gcmustang, much appreciated! I'll have to take you up on that offer!

Good starting point for restoration! Small items.

The driver's outside mirror was round on the original, not rectangular. Replacement mirror sets sold in Kragen, O'Reiley [by whatever name it goes by after all the consolidations] look almost identical to the factory unit.

The interior rear view mirror is going to be a problem. Most mirrors are windshield mounted, these are not. I have been told that some early Maxima mirrors are window frame mounted and that the bolt pattern matches the 410/411 one but have not personally checked that out. If the actual mirror is OK without oxidation blotches you might try rebuilding the rotted out rear of the housing with light weight Bondo, sandpaper, primer and the same color paint that is on your left front fender.

Get rid of those Pinto hub caps if you can.

Good luck!

Progress is progress is progress

Goodies came in this morning

img3079p.jpg

So the alternator is on the wrong side of the engine?

img3080s.jpg

Another shot

img3081i.jpg

Custom alt. mounting bracket

img3085ys.jpg

Overview

img3086n.jpg

The beast

img3087tr.jpg

Off of a Chevette?

img3088g.jpg

So now we're looking for some shots of how the stock alt. is supposed to mount and of the wiring around the fuse box.

Thanks to Datsun411SSS for some pics of the rad. hose!

Are you changing out alternator because it doesn`t work. Or is it catty- wompus in there because if it is already wired in and sets correctly maybe just take bracket out and grind & add metal to look better. GM internally regulated alternators are cheap real cheep

Are you changing out alternator because it doesn`t work. Or is it catty- wompus in there because if it is already wired in and sets correctly maybe just take bracket out and grind & add metal to look better. GM internally regulated alternators are cheap real cheep

We were originally taking it out to get to the lower radiator hose. After we removed it we thought we'd install it on the correct side, but we don't know how to mount it

I see now ...that hose looks like it`s 4ft long. maybe make your own with a few pre formed hoses with thin wall ( muffler type) pipe between the pieces.You may be surprised how well you can tuck hoses with enough bends and how custom it looks.

I see now ...that hose looks like it`s 4ft long. maybe make your own with a few pre formed hoses with thin wall ( muffler type) pipe between the pieces.You may be surprised how well you can tuck hoses with enough bends and how custom it looks.

Gates and Goodyear make a replacement radiator hose that with one cut can replace both the upper and lower factory radiator hoses. One of them [can't remember which at this moment] even has a braided cover that looks stock and a wire coil insert to prevent hose collapse. If interested, I can open my trunk where I keep all this info scribbled down in a book and forward the part numbers.

Alternator mounting.

Get in touch with Tana the Datsun Lady [Vindats] on this site. You need the pivot mount that mounts on the lower front of the block to secure the "rib" on the factory alternator [my guess is that it may fit the GM type]. The bar that you have the current alternator fastened to looks like it will bolt up to the engine block and be OK for the proper position.

Ithink this photo may show enough of the alternator mount, it has been a while since I opened it.

Engine

2yowv86.jpg

Sorry, just shy of the alternator but this is how the upper Gates or Goodyear hose looks. The alternator is hiding behind the upper hose.

Thanks for the info! I would appreciate it if you could locate that part # for the lower radiator house, that would be great!

Right now I just need some pics of the wiring, specifically the resistor/ coil part as on mine it looks rigged and some pics of how the alternator is supposed to mount.

Thanks all!

Yep, I got a member who is going to sell me some SUs and the airbox for her :)

If your stock intake has been damaged by the "conversion" let me know. I have several that I found in a box of what was supposed to be 510 parts. Im quite sure they are all for the 411,the guy i got the parts from had a couple 411s. Im keeping 2 spares,one Ive polished,the other as a back-up.

If your stock intake has been damaged by the "conversion" let me know. I have several that I found in a box of what was supposed to be 510 parts. Im quite sure they are all for the 411,the guy i got the parts from had a couple 411s. Im keeping 2 spares,one Ive polished,the other as a back-up.

PM sent, thanks!