Propane powered Datsun??

For a couple years I've been thinking about converting one of my 620's to propane. I got the idea when I looked at a Datsun forklift. Forklifts don't seem to be very hard on fuel consumption. It looks like the datsun propane forklift uses a normal datsun motor, maybe 1.2L... i really don't know. I deal with L series motors and sometimes Z22's. I was wondering if anyone has tries something like this and if it would be worth it.

a75c_1.jpg

2ae0_1.jpg

2b4f_1.jpg

2bdc_1.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsun actually produced a few LPG sedans. It was an option on the L-series cedrics and glorias in some markets.

I've been thinking about a duel-fuel setup for the 620 after the 4x4 conversion. If you stick with carbs it seems like a fairly straight-forward mod.

That forklift has an H20 Datsun engine

Datsun had a factory 510 with propane sold in Japan.

There are lots of propane Datsun out there -- any gas engine will run on propane. A mixture of propane and butane used mainly as vehicle fuel is commonly known as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

Guest DatsuNoob

Boeing's shop trucks and service rigs back in the 70's-80's were boeing blue Datsun 620's converted to run on propane so they could operate within the bldg. Some old timer told me theres a place where they still have a few layin around.

Propane contains less energy so you will take a hit in power. You can't just convert them. There are certification rules usually. Tank and system must pass for sticker. Every year or two must be certified to get insurance. Propane runs cleaner and more efficient though.

mike is right... you will take a hit in power.. unless you do forced induction, and then you get amazing power gains...

my dads 78 f150 has a 250cu inline 6 thats been converted to propane.. he had an 82 toyota with a buick v6 swap that had propane on it too..

propanes starting to get spendy where im at tho...

The engine does not put out as much power with propane. The heavier a fuel refined from crude oil, the more energy is has per gallon. liquid propane is lighter than gasoline.

the second issue. Propane goes into the cylinder as a gas. Some gasoline goes into the cylinder as a liquid, believe it or not, and vaporizes on the compression stroke. Because the propane goes into the cylinder as a gas, it displaces some air that would go into the engine.

I have heard that a propane only engine can run a higher compression ratio, but I am not sure.

Propane is less efficient in energy potential and you have 2 results, less power and lower milage. You have to carry around great big steel cylinders too that are pretty heavy. I used to run a propane Chevy van with a 305, 2 big propane cylinders underneath for something like 130 litres of propane between them to get the same milage out of a 117L gas tank. Propane is a lot cheaper than gas up here though, Friday we where at US$4.99 a gallon of regular 87 :angry: !

Personally, I hate the exhaust smell of propane. Stinks like ass. That and yes, it's lower hp/lower everything. Great idea, but problems arise when looking for storage for extended mileage. For in town short trips it would be good though. I'd say just drive the forklift to and from work. :D

I have one of the factory propane carbs. It's a Hitachi, looks like the regular DCH340 just no floats or such. It's used, but it is as clean as the day it was built.

One thing I learned about the factory Propane setups is that a lot of them used a cast-iron head.

I'm always thinking of ways to change something. I have 3 620's... in my perfect world they would be dent and rust free with fresh paint and rims but my world isn't so perfect. My plans for them is 73, leave all stock with exception for the 5 speed and maybe someday restore. My 74, currently in restoration, started building LZ23 motor with 5 speed to be my all Nissan faster 620. My 77 kc, would like to sell it and get another 620 standard cab preferably 78 or newer with disk brakes, Ford 302 or 351 v8 with 5 speed. That way I would have it all, gas mileage and performance.

As for the propane datsun, its something I'd try... i would also consider diesel as well.