510 VH45DE swap?

co.dime

Hmm dunno but this just doesn't seem worth it for under 300 hp, a huge drop in weight/hp ratio and lack of upgrade options but hey it will look cool.

Check that....apparently its a bit over 300 hp, looks like a lot of metal for a little engine bay.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well if i remember right the VH45DE isnt much more wight than the L20, due to its alum. block and heads. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VH_engine and as far as the upgrades they are out there and the internals on that engine are fordged from the factory so it can hold up to alot of boost. Might want to youtube it and see for yourself. and its not just about the Hp is about the torque you get at lower rpm as well. And im pretty sure that in japan they take out the V6's and turbo engines to put in VH's and VK's because they like the power curves better....but what do they know right? they just design and build them...

2vh45de510.jpg

vh45de510.jpg

looks tight :D does alternator fit? hows the sump looking?

still got a long way to go but you're looking good so far. pretty sure VH's are quite a lot heavier than L's, alloy block doesnt mean its light, given the block is bigger than an L, its still got a larger crank, double the conrods and pistons, two twin cam heads, plus 3 more cams and the valvetrain to go with it

will see how it all goes though i spose, keep at it man!

all but one thing fits, and thats the sump, because the vh is front sump. but we got that figured out. just flip the crossmember and its good(we hope). all im saying about the weight is that im not adding that much more for the Hp and torque increase im getting. the 510 is pretty light as it is, and that L20 had what 100-120hp maybe at best. now im going up to some where around 300hp...i dont think the weight is going to matter, and we had it on the scales b4 the L series was taken out. and its going back on the scales when the VH is in its final resting spot. so ill post the numbers of the weight changes for each wheel...

sounds good man id love to know the figures, id dreamed of finding a VH/VK for my 620 some day after hearing about what some american stock car owners do with them. im keen on keeping it as is now though but would still be cool to know what sort of weight difference itd be in a 510

the weight itself isnt the issue though, its where the weight is going to go. hopefully it isnt enough to make it a bit of an pig around corners, understeer sucks :( it all remains to be seen though :D keep going!

yeah we are hoping to keep good balance on the car as well. and yeah if your doing a swap on a truck, i thinkt he vh or vk 56 would be nice. (5.6L nissan titan) engine. I almost picked one of those up last week to put in an old datsun PU when i get one. Im having trouble on what to do with the exhaust. So maybe you guys can help. should i go with a chrome side pipe (dynomax sideliner side pipes). or run them out the fender like the ratsun car? or i was thinking about running them like duals on the new TVR's that you can see the mufflers in the back. Help would be great or new ideals.

And you're going to put the radiator...where???? Obviously not in the engine bay.

You've got a TON of weight ahead of the front axle line, that's going to do horrible things for the handling of the car. Plus, with all you're torque, and it being that nose heavy, you're just going to burn tires.

With all the intake and front cover stuff on, I don't see how the hood is going to fit.

Just because other motor swaps have been done "too many times", doesn't mean they're bad. It just means they're easier. With the weight issue you're going to have, I guarantee a VG30, KA, or SR would have been a way better driver.

• Like 2

Don't know if the hood is going to fit but if not found a place that makes a 2" cowel hood. And the radiator issue will be addressed once the engine is mounted but as of now a thin radiator will fit. And the engine mounts on the vh are pretty close to working on the stock mounting location in the car.

Like to see this get completed.

But once/If running it will be sold in less than a year due to just not practicle.

Just saying but like to see this running.

You working on it or a shop is doing this$$$$$$$$ Yof yes YOu must be rich.

There wa s guy who was doing a Old Patrol with V8 extended body or something. shop fucked it up. was trying to sell later. Never completed.

hope not to loose this 510,look like a clean car.

a shop is doing the swap for me, only because i messed both my shoulders and back up in the Army. But im getting most of the parts of craigslist and discount sites online. so i dont have much money into it at all. and when its all done i think ill be under 8k including the price of buying the car.

well if i remember right the VH45DE isnt much more wight than the L20, due to its alum. block and heads. http://en.wikipedia....issan_VH_engine and as far as the upgrades they are out there and the internals on that engine are fordged from the factory so it can hold up to alot of boost. Might want to youtube it and see for yourself. and its not just about the Hp is about the torque you get at lower rpm as well. And im pretty sure that in japan they take out the V6's and turbo engines to put in VH's and VK's because they like the power curves better....but what do they know right? they just design and build them...

This motor is close to 3 times more massive than the l20b.....Larger crank 3 times as much steel (all those cams and what not) twice as many rods pistons...

The L motor blocks really aren't heavy maybe 120-130 pounds tops.

I have a question though.....While 300 hp and 300 torque are nice, how much better is it than a sr20det/jka24det/fj20/SBC when even 250 HP is enough to spin tires in 3 gears. I mean it is a pretty cool idea but it will be like driving an 80's zcar with like 400 hp you'll be breaking the ass end free so much it will be scary.

well i guess ill just get the numbers from the scales at the shop so you can see how much weight was on each wheel with the l20 in it. and then once its running with the vh ill post those weights and we will see the difference. and if 300-400hp scares you then you should just buy a geo metro or sumthin. and if you set up your rear end the correct way and have good tires and throttle control it wont matter how much HP you got.

well i guess ill just get the numbers from the scales at the shop so you can see how much weight was on each wheel with the l20 in it. and then once its running with the vh ill post those weights and we will see the difference. and if 300-400hp scares you then you should just buy a geo metro or sumthin. and if you set up your rear end the correct way and have good tires and throttle control it wont matter how much HP you got.

300-400 hp 330 ft/lbs tq in a car with no frame, is engineered for a 300 pound 90 hp motor, can melt tires off the rims with 180 hp 150k mile motor, isnt an AWD JDM sports car. Sure people do have 400hp 510's but they do sooo much modding to the car to get it to where it has some ability to make use of the power. Even then its can't touch a modern car's traction.

My guess is that it will be pretty sketchy through corners but in a staight line it will be gnarley. A swap like this is more for wow factor than practicality, which is fine with me. When its done you gotta put a video up so we can hear it run-should be pretty mean sounding.

300-400 hp 330 ft/lbs tq in a car with no frame, is engineered for a 300 pound 90 hp motor, can melt tires off the rims with 180 hp 150k mile motor, isnt an AWD JDM sports car. Sure people do have 400hp 510's but they do sooo much modding to the car to get it to where it has some ability to make use of the power. Even then its can't touch a modern car's traction.

yeah i agree on that part but they are going to brace it up so that engine wont destroy the car. and the plan is to leave the rear stock suspension on if possible. but i did pick up a complete rear end off a 85 300zx turbo so they are putting some of those parts on. The build got a shorter time to complete than org. planned. becuse im getting out of the Army soon and we are moving back to Kentucky. I was looking for some suggestions on the exhaust but havent seen any yet. Do you think some chrome side pipes would be to redneck on it? My thought was they would fill up the empty space on the sides of the car.

chrome side pipes would be to redneck on it?

your kidding, right?????????????

If the car still has the stock look it will hold its value. hood scoppe ,sidepipes ect makes 510 look tackey and nobdody wants them thus becomming aunder 3k car EZ no matter how much HP.

Adding all the electric on here is going to be harder. Putting the motor in is maybe EZ. But radiator,fuel pumps set up, replacement clutch ect all will add up $$$$

Be honest I hope this gets done but Im leary, this will never be finnshed and sold.This is Ratsun and alot of people dont have money.Key is getting by helping each other out. But some projects are just so huge even if all parts are Free one dont have time to figure it out(resources), then they just give up.

The Dime Quarterly is full of I want to be different projects.In the for sale section.

key is keep us updated as we do like completed projects that actually make it.

chrome side pipes would be to redneck on it?

your kidding, right?????????????

If the car still has the stock look it will hold its value. hood scoppe ,sidepipes ect makes 510 look tackey and nobdody wants them thus becomming aunder 3k car EZ no matter how much HP.

Adding all the electric on here is going to be harder. Putting the motor in is maybe EZ. But radiator,fuel pumps set up, replacement clutch ect all will add up $$$$

Be honest I hope this gets done but Im leary, this will never be finnshed and sold.This is Ratsun and alot of people dont have money.Key is getting by helping each other out. But some projects are just so huge even if all parts are Free one dont have time to figure it out(resources), then they just give up.

The Dime Quarterly is full of I want to be different projects.In the for sale section.

key is keep us updated as we do like completed projects that actually make it.

This swap will get finished soon. and its deff. a budget build. ill have less than 8k in it, including buying the car, all the parts. wheels, tires, and labor. i should have some more pics tomorrow some time.