stock radios? oics please

ive got 2 different radios and im sure that one of them is original.... id like to know which one so i can have that stock look. the one im swaying towards is an empi... a vw brand but it looks like its never been out of the dash, still had the aluminum plate on it. any help wood be awesome

erich

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "stock radio" in the RL411 was the radio delete plate. That said, I bought a 1968 version of an aftermarket AM only radio because it had a horizontally embossed front plate that resembled the delete plate. The radio was of the variable inductance type, not the "normal" variable capacitor type. It eventually failed, vibration cracked one of the cores. I bought a Radio Shack AM=FM at a swap meet and switched the bezel and front plate from the non-original radio onto the Radio Shack unit. "Looks" semi original and works.

acbuq8.jpg

well i didnt have them untill about 2 hours ago so now i will. after looking at them i think they might both be stock but one might be 510 or something

the new one i just got

SNC00101.jpg

the one i got with my car

SNC00103.jpg

well i cood swear that some came with radios as all 3 ive seen have had the same mono speaker behind the parcel tray under the dash

and the one from the unite thread listed on ebay looks like mine

6957e55_20.jpeg

The stock wiring of the RL411 did not include provisions for one or two external speakers. Both aftermarket radios that I used were of the speaker in the top panel variety. Tinny sounding [unless the radio has excessive bass boost] but no sweat to install.

well i didnt have them untill about 2 hours ago so now i will. after looking at them i think they might both be stock but one might be 510 or something

the new one i just got

SNC00101.jpg

The face plate looks very similar to mine. My plate is stamped metal, not extruded, so it has a "picture frame" all around it. I think this "new one" is of 1968 or so vintage and would be a good contemporary if not dealer installed option look alike.

The stock wiring of the RL411 did not include provisions for one or two external speakers. Both aftermarket radios that I used were of the speaker in the top panel variety. Tinny sounding [unless the radio has excessive bass boost] but no sweat to install.

well the wiring for the speaker is not part of the dash harness it is on the radio itself and it used datsun plugs on it? i just find it odd that i have now come across 4 411s that all have the exact same speaker in the exact same spot on the firewall behind the parcel tray, if they are after market then there must have been a kit or something that all these 411s got.

The face plate looks very similar to mine. My plate is stamped metal, not extruded, so it has a "picture frame" all around it. I think this "new one" is of 1968 or so vintage and would be a good contemporary if not dealer installed option look alike.

its out of a 410 i beleive a 65, its the one drewsdime posted about in the junkyard.

ill pull the radios tomorrow and get some better up close pics of them and the speakers

well the wiring for the speaker is not part of the dash harness it is on the radio itself and it used datsun plugs on it? i just find it odd that i have now come across 4 411s that all have the exact same speaker in the exact same spot on the firewall behind the parcel tray, if they are after market then there must have been a kit or something that all these 411s got.

Most likely a "dealer installed option" kit. Easier to install than the cigarette lighter, clock and glove box lock. Except for strictly Production Sedan Road Race versions [and possibly Hawaii] the "optional" heater was "standard option". Dealers had to drive up their prices some way! I drove mine off the lot, sales price taxes license and title for $1700. Best $1700 I ever spent.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i want a dash clock too. i only know of one person with one. lol maybe i can talk him into selling it........ prolly not lol

Meanwhile you can fake it like I did. Get a battery powered travel clock, go to a stationary store and buy an Accopress loose leaf edge binder metal clasp. Throw away the thin part, cut the part that the thin piece fits through in about 1 inch from the slotted hole. Epoxy to the bottom of the clock and bend the slotted end to a lip and fit under the ash tray.

acbuq8.jpg