Interchangeable Parts

Joel

now we are getting somewhere.... 

I have a new thing to rant on thanks to you...

WHY THE HELL DOESNT ANYONE BUY THE FRONT BARS FOR THEIR SWAPPED CARS....LOLOL????

Thank you 'freak - I will shut up now...

Anyhow, we got on the topic because of parts interchange, and I wondered why a rear sump pan wasnt on the sortlist of interchange parts for swapped cars.... it wasnt really a 510 specific convo, as all the xmembers get flipped 5-6-7-10  etc... (or so I thought)

The thread was originally about making a "matrix" of sorts for all possible parts options... someone asked a question about why people dont do a specific trans, so I asked about the pans. 

It woud be kinda nice to have something like... if you are going to do this.... (swap for example)  you will need to make these parts... you will need to buy these parts.....and it will cost roughly this much.....here are the links to purchase, order the parts.... go for it!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know there is a front sump swaybar that is stock Datsun and the same width as a 510 or B210 and will fit with very minor mods to where the rubber bits mount. Datsunfreak even owns one...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I did my first swap there were only two known running KA 510s, so there wasn't too much "just do what everyone else did"... :rofl:

Some guys have talked about making a bolt-in mid-sump pan. It always came down to this: it would cost about $200-225 retail for a correct pan and all the cheap motherfuckers on this website said they'd never pay that. So that's where it ends.

Unless you can figure out how to produce one for less than the cost of a sway bar, it'll never fly.

Also, that only covers the KA24E/KA24DE into a 510. The SR20DE(T) will require a whole new pan as well. As would the CA18DE(T). Starting to see why most people would rather just buy a sway bar?

Well, Quickor makes a 7/8" bar that I used on both of mine. As I recall they were $245.

MadDat makes a 1" bar that works with the front sump pans, it's around $265. http://maddat.com.au/1600.php

McKinney Motorsports makes a 1" bar for $325. http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_DATSUN+510+SR-KA+mount+kit

Heck, here's a 1" on ebay for $265 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-510-FRONT-SUMP-1-INCH-SWAY-BAR-/200922884882

I could make pans all day, but just like you said a lot of cheap motherfuckers on here and it just wouldn't be worth it to make. Then have to ship it from Japan.

image-126.jpg

image-126.jpg

image-124.jpg

image-125.jpg

image-127.jpg

image-128.jpg

New to Ratsun I have a question about parts interchanging specifically using techno toy tuning tension control rods meant for a 510 on a 710. I recently acquired a '76 710 and it has a bent tension rod

FWIW, almost all of the stuff on a 510, B210, and 710 is either the same or VERY similar. My money is on yes. 

But in fact, it's your money, so...   ^_^

New to Ratsun I have a question about parts interchanging specifically using techno toy tuning tension control rods meant for a 510 on a 710. I recently acquired a '76 710 and it has a bent tension rod

I have adjustable T/C rods, made for a 510, on my 710 wagon. The stock 510 rods are the exact same length and shape as 710 rods.

9754183722_6d6a274a8f_c.jpg

You know there is a front sump swaybar that is stock Datsun and the same width as a 510 or B210 and will fit with very minor mods to where the rubber bits mount. Datsunfreak even owns one...

I'm waiting for the answer on this lol. 240sx bar is oh so close but no cigar

okay so i have a couple more questions.

one can i use 510 bumper mounts to put on a 610 bumper?

two does the shifter in the 73' 4 speed the same in the later years?

and three should i buy parts like the clutch master and slave with the line in between out of a 610 so i don't have to make one?

one can i use 510 bumper mounts to put on a 610 bumper?

Nope. 

should i buy parts like the clutch master and slave with the line in between out of a 610 so i don't have to make one?

No, you should buy them all new. It's all cheap stuff, and used stuff will either fail on install or shortly after. 

It's easy to just buy a premade brake line from the parts store and bend it yourself. Then get a new rubber line, clutch slave, and master from someone like RockAuto. And yes, order those for a 610. But they used the same stuff on pretty much everything RWD from '68 to the mid 80s. 

• 2 months later...

Oooo I want this list to be completed and stickied. I've been contemplating on tons of this stuff as far as interchangeable parts goes. I think interchangeable z car parts should be included. My guess is nearly the entire front suspension and crossmember is shared with the 510 platform. Had some questions about a few things.

710 crossmember- same bolt on and geometry as 510 and 240z?

710 control arms- same as 510? Do 280z arms fit as well?

710 steering knuckles/arms- same as 510? What about 280z and 240z (assuming using r&p)

710 ball joints- same across the board?

710 top hats or camber plates- same as 510?

710 TC rods- same as 510?

Idea- 240z crossmember+240z R&p+510 control arms+240zknuckles+240ball joints+280z struts plus+510 camber plates +240 tie rods +510 swaybar= will it work without interference of the TC rods and tie rods??

Or keeping the steering box and 510 crossmember and using the associated 510 pitman arms and knuckles with all the other 280 goodies?

No need to dive into how the steering column won't work with the 240z crossmember I'm aware.

My guess is nearly the entire front suspension and crossmember is shared with the 510 platform. 

In fact, almost none of it is.  :rofl:

710 crossmember- same bolt on and geometry as 510 and 240z?

510 is similar. 240Z is nowhere even close. COMPLETELY different. 

710 control arms- same as 510? Do 280z arms fit as well?

Again, 510 is similar, 280Z is totally different.