Piston rings not sealing?

MicroMachinery

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well that's the part i don't want to say    :sick: ,  it was because i fucked with the expander before hand..... 

its faint but i remember it not compressing in the ring compressor, so i nipped a groove off and it compressed, keep in mind i did not do this without first searching... well i read some bad info and made a costly mistake and hope this saves someone some time and money!   

• Like 1

The two oil control rings act like squeegees and other than they are thinner, are just like the other two top rings. That middle wavy part is called an expander in that it keeps the two rings equally spaced (expanded) apart from each other. It does not force the rings outward against the cylinder wall. That is a function of the diameter of the rings being larger than the bore and being compressed when installing. They should normally be free to move laterally against the bore.

If those two thin oil control rings were jammed, it will almost certainly be that the ring land was damaged or the expander was damaged/faulty, or both.

• Like 1

all ring end gaps were spot on with measuring closer to the tight end of the clearances,  top, second and oil ,  on the old rings

on all 4 cyls. 

everything moved freely, no damage to any of the rings or pistons

soooo i dont know anymore if that will even fix the oil consumption .....thanks miike    :poop:  <_<

but what i'm saying is the expander and the two thin rings could move any way they wanted, with fucked up expander,  with new un fucked expander all three move as one ring essentially 

• 1 year later...