Automatic vs Manual 4x4 hubs

Lockleaf

HUBS - Manual vs Auto  

4 members have voted

1. 1. In 1985, there were two options for locking in the front hubs for 4x4. Which was better?

• Manual Locking
    • Automatic Locking

I currently have 2 1985 720s. One runs, one does not. On the dead one I have the factory style hub that lock themselves in, "On demand" or whatever it calls itself. My running one has manual hubs which work great. As I have never driven the dead one, nor used its locking hubs, I was wondering which is better and why you people think so. I am going to be making the dead one into the "nice" one over the next couple of months and mostly I am wondering if its worth the effort to swap the hubs between the two and keep it manual. I myself have always liked manual pretty much everything, but your thoughts on this are appreciated. so in short...

Manual vs auto locking hubs, whats nicer/better, why? thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is made worse if you are rocking back and forth to get unstuck. The autos will disengage backing up and slam into the lock position just when you give 'er hell. Nissan must have designed them for yuppies who open their garage door in the morning and use 4x4 to drive down their driveway to the ploughed street.