J13 front cover

boxboy

Does anyone out there know if there is any possible way to remove the front cover without removing the water pump? Or the radiator for that much? I just want to replace seals and gaskets on the front cover. The water pump looks fairly new. But from what I am seeing I will have to remove the water pump just to get at one bolt on the front cover. If there are tricks to get around this let me know. I have the fan off, but haven't taken the radiator out or drained it yet. I was hoping to avoid it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured as much. I was wondering if anyone can confirm for me that a J15 front cover will fit on my J13 engine. I am assuming it is the same bolt pattern and all. What I am after is the neoprene seal over the felt I have now. I know where I can get one and would like to do it if it is just a bolt up swap.

So I have the radiator out fan off and grill out too just to make things easy. (well, I have to buy new bolts for the grill since the others were rotted.) I have found that I can indeed get to the front cover without removing the water pump. Not so worried about the gaskets as I have them, just that the pump looks pretty new and i would rather leave well enough alone at this point. Anyway, still wondering if what i am thinking with the front cover swap is a good idea. I have a felt seal from my Victor Reinz gasket set, but really would feel better about a nice rubber seal. I just don't want to spend $40 bucks on a cover to find out it doesn't fit.

Thank Brian. However, all I see is the felt seal in that catalog. I called Nissan Wilsonville about a month ago to find a felt one and they never got back to me. Norlift has the seal for the J15, but they want $27 for it. Doesn't that seem like a lot? Or am I just cheep?

I have a felt seal. I got it with my complete set from Victor. It is the rubber one that i want. Nissan W-ville says they have it. Just going to be expensive. It will have come from Japan. Although he did say if I got him measurements he thinks he has one from another application that will work.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no luck finding a Nissan felt seal. Like I said above, if you can find a Victor gasket set, it will be included. I am going with the new front cover because I have heard that the felt seals don't hold in the oil for very long. A cover came up for sale that had a neoprene seal and I jumped on it. I believe the front covers were only on the J15's, or J13 that were produced after 1970 in overseas markets. You might try a used forklift dealer or wrecking yard, or watch ebay. As for the felt seal, someone on here like Zed1 or others may know if one of the MG seals will work and where to get it. Good luck.

I purchased both the Nissan and (BMC) Metro felt seals. The Nissan was a little thicker, so I installed that one. My local Nissan dealer ordered me the neoprene 13042-B3000 seal. I have yet to pick it up from them. Once I get it home I will take some measurements to ensure it will fit. I'll post the results.

Keith

Today I received my front seal in the mail and installed it in my new timing cover that is machined for the rubber seal. I put a thin coat of sealant on either side of the gasket and installed the cover, snugging the nuts down with a 1/4 inch drive socket until I could see a little of the sealant squeezing out. The book says 4 pounds, and I don't have a torque wrench that reads that low, so I just did it by feel.

Anyway, my new problem is, when I went to install the pulley, I noticed that the new covers timing pointer extends out over the entire pulley. So I can't see the timing marks that are on the inside edge of the pulley. I guess I need to get a Dremel and cut her back a bit? What do you guys advise?

No pics at the moment. I can get some this afternoon. Really not hard to visualize though. The original pointer is short and points to the inside rim of the pulley and the new pointer is long and extends out over the entire width of the pulley. They are in the same location though as far as I can tell.

There is a washer that bends up and holds it in place, plus the engine turns the opposite direction, so it shouldn't ever come loose. It took a couple of mediocre blows with a rubber mallet to the end of the wrench to get it off, so I don't feel like it was very tight. 80ft/lbs sounds like a lot. I couldn't find the spec in the manual, but I can check again.

• 2 weeks later...