Wylder's 1985 720 KC 4x4 ST

Wylder1324

Sealik - I thought about the 38/38 but I was told the 32/36 was better in the mid RPM ranges and that the 38/38 was better for higher RPMs and speeds which isn't as usable as often ? You disagree ? Is the 38/38 a direct replacement now that I've installed the 32/36 ?

As for the brush guard I actually do have one of those with the light guards attached as well. Should have it installed this week sometime.

One of the next things on my list is headlight upgrade. Can't decide if I'm going to go H4/H1s or if I'm going to try LEDs.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 38 uses the same adapter plates as the 32/36

I had a 38 on that brown 4x4 in pic......got 29.5 MPH/highway miles.

All relative to how you put your foot in it....that said....there was an improvement in performance over the 32/36 on my stock Z24 engine

In most cases......More fuel equates to more power and a thinner pocket book....lol

Oh....you also need flares :)

Man.  I love your 720.  Have always had a thing for 720s... Especially king cabs.  This one is pretty awesome. Do like!  Can't wait to see the progress.  I was a little disappointed when I saw the post was from yesterday saying pics coming soon.  Was hoping to see the mods and upgrades now!  :lol:

Izzo - the pic I posted a few posts up is from a few days ago that shows the 3" suspension lift and new tires and wheels. The truck is in the shop getting the power steering reservoir repaired as it had a leak....should get it back tomorrow and I will get more pictures then.

Got her back this evening.  Still a work in progress but like where she's at.  Brush guard really looks nice on there.

photoPNG.jpeg

Engine is still a little dirty, going to get in there and clean up some of the dirt but the red and black theme is off to a good start.  I've got an aluminum valve cover on its way that will be powder coated black with some red accents.

705300A0-A1DB-4C4D-ABDE-144E6DBCFD9B.png

DE027ECC-EBC9-4878-B83C-7D6F848FC73F.png

• Like 1

Elmer - thanks for the love. It's been pretty cold here (for us) this week too in the 20s so it's slowed me down ha.

I haven't decided on what I'm going to do yet with the bed area.....I was leaning towards a camper top....but lately really been thinking about roll bar with angled spare tire mount and bobbing the bed....we'll see.

I actually already have side steps just kind of hard to see from the angles of the photos....I am however going to add another set underneath the rear windows for access to the eventual roof rack.

Truck has really come along. How is she for power with the carb/headers/cam and the bigger wider tires?

Is that snow in Texas? Talk about a cold day. Was is declared a state of emergency?

Speaking of snow here's how my poor 720 sits for the moment. I'm sure Sealik can relate.

1WdHVdL.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeti - sheesh now THATS snow. She feels like a different animal even with the bigger tires. I'm still planning to upgrade to KA piston maybe next winter to get even a little more oomph. We have had a strange winter this year....probably close to 10" snow fall which is crazy in this area.

I've been playing around some with plasti-dip with my interior plastic pieces on the 720. So far I've only done the console to see how it would turn out but I plan to also do the cupholder, A/C controls, under dash tray, ash tray, steering column molding and various others. I unfortunately forgot to do a proper before pic on the console so I will try to make an old photo work.

Before:

52FFCF21-D47D-43F4-ABC9-DE28CE5C69A9.png

After:

14D111AE-C27B-45A7-83BC-407641A460C9.jpg

5E0B4EF9-2436-4496-B7CE-D644718DB8FE.jpg

5BAFCF6C-E998-487F-ADD0-D20D919DDECD.jpg

I've got a really nice Italian leather Momo shift boot with red stitching that will clean it up too. I think I'm going to pull the shifter and do it black as well. I'm trying to eliminate all elements of

Chrome finish on the truck, inside and out.

I've used that stuff on a 75 blazer I used to own back about 15 years ago and it's definitely good stuff. I sprayed the original dash with it and it held up quite we'll.. Even driving all summer with the top off and getting rained on a few times...

That really woke up your parts, they look way better now.

• 1 month later...

The 720 is at the shop now getting a little work done. Torsion bars were worn out so getting them replaced and also having the bed "bobbed" or shortened just behind the leaf springs and then Line-Xed. Between this more aggressive shorter stance, the clean look of the bed liner and my lift finally sitting up where it should I'm excited to see how it turns out.