Wylder's 1985 720 KC 4x4 ST

Wylder1324

5F45E938-F11B-4351-A7A3-1228056CC3B0.jpg

I will try and keep the build list updated here in the 1st post so that it isn't required to go through the whole thread.

Exterior:

- Light Gray Primer

- Steel Tube Rear Bumper

- New Factory Front Bumper

- New Lenses on all Lights w/ LED Bulbs

- Factory Brush Guard

- Bronze Nismo Rays 16x7 Wheels

- BF Goodrich KM2 33x10.5 Tires

- Black Nismo Valve Stem Caps

- LineX Grill and Emblems Black

Interior:

- New Upholstery. Gray & Black Tweed/Leather

- MoMo Monte Carlo Steering Wheel (red/blk)

- MoMo Pedals (gry/blk)

- MoMo Shift Boot (red/blk)

- Nismo Black Leather Shift Knob

- Window Tine

- Powder Coat Shifter Black

- LED lighting

Power plant:

After much searching I finally found and purchased the 720 I was looking for. It is a 1985 KC 4x4 S/T. The Pros are as follows:

- New Engine

- New Tranny

- New Water Pump

- New Starter

- New Alternator

- No Rust

Cons:

- Few minor dents

- Could use paint

- Needs bushings

Here are a few pictures

720-1.jpg

720-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just got these pics from the painter, not the best pics but gives an idea at least. Decided to have them shore up any and all rust and shoot a coat of epoxy primer in flat gray with matte black accents (bumpers, window trim, nissan on tailgate, mirrors, wheels) this will be somewhat temporary for while Im using it as a DD in Hawaii. Upon returing back to the mainland in a couple of years I will likley go ahead and iron out the dents here and there on the body and get a real coat of paint applied, for now I think it looks pretty good.

100_4245-1.jpg

100_4243.jpg

100_4244-1.jpg

100_4242-1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Haven't done much in the way of posting updates for my 720 here so I suppose I will catch up.  Upon coming back to Texas from the mainland a few months back I had the truck shipped to Las Vegas to Las Vegas to High Impact Motorsports for a thorough inspection to shore up any and all mechanical issues the truck had, or might be about to have.  The tranny was also removed and rebuilt.  Since then I have for the most part just been enjoying the truck as a DD and it has performed admirably. 

What I have done is start my interior refresh.  So far I have had the front seats and the rear passenger jump seat rebuilt and reupholstered in black leather and gray tweed with red stitching.  The door panels were done to match.  I also installed a Momo black leather wrapped steering wheel (still trying to find a quality "Nismo" horn button) w/ red stitching and a black leather shift knob.  I removed the driver side jump seat as it is unrealistic to have more than a single person back there and I am having a custom locker fabricated that will be installed in its place to house valuables.  I also had the headliner and sun shades re-done.

The next phase will be removing all the carpet and Line-X the interior floors as well as up the rear side walls as all of the old plastic trim is pretty faded and will be even more obvious as the rest of the interior takes shape.  I will then install custom carpeted mats.  That should shore up the interior for the foreseeable future.  Here are a few pictures, i will post more as it progresses.

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

1C99AAA1-D9ED-44A9-A550-3D19DDB84D28-135

B1E2BE02-A7AC-4C97-88F5-35629DB0DDED-135

994C9B1E-1B5D-420D-8B64-2290F9FD59DF-135

• Like 1

Thanks for the love.  It is in fact one of those ebay ones.  I had to buy a Momo hub for it to fit.  I really had planned on getting a Momo wheel but couldn't find one that fit what I was looking for (red stitching, without TOO much red)  I want the red accents to be subtle, not overly flashy.  That said, I actually really like the wheel so I will keep it unless something of higher quality comes out that I like better.  The only negative is the horn button.  It is just a sticker with the "Nismo" label.  I would really like to find one of the higher quality buttons that has the Nismo insignia but until then I will make do.

As for the paint color it is actually still just an epoxy primer right now.  I will be painting it this summer or early fall in a dark gun metal gray and I am actually toying with bringing the black stripe back at the bottom when I do this.  I think the dark gray w/ black accents and a few hints of red along with the brushed bronze nismo wheels will look very striking when its all finished.

As I read the last post of the color thoughts, I painted a picture in my head, and my mind agrees. Not tooo much red, maybe just alittle. For you horn button, have you considered looking for the ST horn? if you want, I'll get some more pics of mine tomorrow and see if it may fit your needs. Which if it does, you'll be answering some of my questions of if the ST horn button will fit a ebay steering wheel. As cool as the ST wheel is, its much too large for my likings and sits too far up by the dash, so some dish and a quick release will put it about where I'll want it.

I had at one time actually really wanted the ST wheel but now that I have really put together my long term idea of how I want the truck to turn out I've decided I want to go with more of a Nismo theme.  (steering wheel, shift knob, nismo rays bronze wheels, and nismo off-road decals on rear of bed) essentially the inly interior red will be the stitching on wheel, seats, shift boot and door panels as well as the "O" in nismo.  My stereo also has a red backlight….I have seen some people go over board with the red accents in vehicles and its rather over the top for my liking.  As far as the exterior the only red will be the "Nissan" and "4x4" emblems on the grill, "Kingcab" emblems and  the "O" in the 2 rearly located Nismo Off-Road decals as well as the small "O" on each Nismo insignia on the Rays wheels…..so in my opinion just enough small details to really pop on the dark gray and black matte finish it will be painted in.

• 6 months later...

May buy the wife a 2012 V8 Pathfinder 4x4 soon and take her 09' XTerra 4x4….this would mean no more 720 as a daily driver……which means practicality is out the window.  I have been contemplating what I want to do with it power plant wise for a while now once it was retired from daily use…..obviously the KA swap is a popular one but I am wanting to do something a little more radical…..open to ideas (keep it Nissan) but as of right now I am really thinking about having the VG33ER supercharged engine out of the early Frontiers and Xterra….just a thought at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I've made some real progress with the 720. I blew a head gasket recently and decided to go ahead and spend some $ on the Z24 being that I'm just not ready to really think about an engine swap yet. While my mechanic was doing the gasket repair we went ahead and did the following:

- Weber 32/36

- Doug Thorley Headers

- Comp Cams Mid Range camshaft

- Stainless 2.25" exhaust delete catalytic & added magna flow muffler

- 8mm wires, cap and rotor

- 4x4parts.com 3" suspension lift

- Bilstein shocks

- Bilstein steering stabilizer

- Side Steps

- 285/75-16 BFG KM2 Tires

- Bronze 16x7 Nismo Rays wheels

This is how she sits now with more to come soon.

2A529BBF-8DB9-4EF9-8108-5D4EA366BAE7.jpg

• Like 3