Diff Narrowing

mklotz70

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! Not until after Canby!

since morrisun bought the beam, we're going to see if we can pull off straightening the housing. If we can figure out that, I'll be more open to the idea of doing more :)

Doug came over.....we got everything straightened out!! I'm really pleased with how it turned out....Doug was really worried.....I wasn't..it's not my rearend! LOL!!! Anyway.....here's some pics and a couple of vids :) Oh...for the guys that are interested in having us do this....contact morrisun...he's going to handle any arrangements :)

100_0674.jpg

100_0675.jpg

100_0676.jpg

100_0677.jpg

100_0678.jpg

100_0679.jpg

th_100_0682.jpg

100_0683.jpg

100_0684.jpg

th_100_0685.jpg

th_100_0686.jpg

Very cool Mike. I really love how you do everything yourself. It really is the best way to learn. Another method I have heard of for straightening axles bend from welding is to run a weld bead along the other side of the axle tube. The distortion will straighten the housing out.

Thanks :) It's sooooo much easier to figure out and learn this stuff these days with the internet available. When I was a kid.....trial and error was a mother!! LOL! But....I grew up in a hands on, manual labor age.....young people today have grown up in a service age....it seems that few have had to actually deal with callouses. :) I'm not saying that in a derogatory way....it's just that the world is a different place now.

I like to share this stuff in a way that helps them to realize that it's not completely out of their abilities....just out of their experience range.....which can be changed :) Now if I could just figure out how to make a living at it!!! :)

If I didn't have a torch, we would have had to do it that way. His housing is actually thin walled such that we could have done it with a couple of propane torches.

• 4 years later...

i ask because i now own a 84 rx7 gls-se lsd, disk break rear end

had noticed the splines look a bit taller than the rest of the axle shaft, dont have a micrometer where im at, and wanted some experienced advice before, bringing it into a shop and

saying cut these and such and not knowing if it would work, i heard some cut out the middle of the axle shaft and welded back together... that sounds so much more expensive than re spline.

and when i say taller, thats a fairly quick look and with shitty contrast 

You cannot weld a axle shaft period when i have the toyota axles cut and resplined you have to do your homework. Beacause the shaft itself has to cut where the taper starts right before where its splined. Which means you cant just narrow any diff you please you have to have long enough shafts to be resplined in the case of toyota diffs i have to use a early 79 to 85 housing with 85 and up to tacoma width axle shafts to give me enough axle shaft to cut and respline or pop for custom shafts that dutchman quoted me 550 for

You cannot weld a axle shaft period when i have the toyota axles cut and resplined you have to do your homework. Beacause the shaft itself has to cut where the taper starts right before where its splined. Which means you cant just narrow any diff you please you have to have long enough shafts to be resplined in the case of toyota diffs i have to use a early 79 to 85 housing with 85 and up to tacoma width axle shafts to give me enough axle shaft to cut and respline or pop for custom shafts that dutchman quoted me 550 for

and than you fit all that into an rx7 housing ?