Diff Narrowing

mklotz70

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's pretty much done....at least my part :) We were both really pleased with the results. As the final check, I stood it on end on a flat part of the floor and put one of my 4' straight edges on the top flange. Doug measured close to the housing and out about 3'. The measurements were within a 1/16". We only checked toe in, but if that was that close, there's no way the other direction was too far off :) Our length was actually dictated by the spacing of the leaf springs. The over distance between the wheel mounting surfaces is a bit narrower than stock, but the springs kept us from going any narrower. Good thing we checked that!!! :)

100_0184.jpg

100_0185.jpg

100_0186.jpg

100_0187.jpg

100_0188.jpg

100_0189.jpg

100_0190.jpg

100_0193.jpg

100_0194.jpg

100_0195.jpg

100_0196.jpg

100_0197.jpg

100_0199.jpg

100_0200.jpg

100_0201.jpg

100_0202.jpg

100_0203.jpg

100_0206.jpg

100_0207.jpg

100_0209.jpg

100_0210.jpg

100_0211.jpg

100_0212.jpg

100_0213.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, See My OIC For Reference:

lnfw5uz7.jpg

The Black Arrows Shows Where You Got Penetration, The Bottom Arrow Got Good Penetration As You Can See A Little Hump From The Weld Burning Clean Through

The White Arrow Is There You Needed To Get A Little Hotter, Maybe You Went A Little Faster Or Changed Your Angle Slightly

But The Bottom Arrow Looks Like There Was No Penetration At All

It Will Hold Great As Is, Just Food For Thought :D

• Like 1

My "out of position" welding certainly needs some practice :) The white arrows probably point to start/stop points. If I do this again, I'll probably stand it on end and weld it in that position. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

We worked on it a bit last week....on the diff saddles specifically.

I took more pics of last week, but things didn't go so well. I'm not against shows my mistakes, but I'm too tire right now :) Here's the end result...the carnage of last week. It also bent the drill chuck...yep, the machined main piece of the drill chuck itself! New keyless chuck is on it's way.

This week went much better!! :) Next week, we should be welding the saddles onto the housing. :)

100_0447.jpg

100_0448.jpg

100_0449.jpg

th_100_0450.jpg

th_100_0451.jpg

100_0452.jpg

100_0453.jpg

th_100_5787.jpg

I think we're about done with the housing work at my place. I think Doug will be finishing it up and posting the finished pics :)

We clamped up the saddles....lot's of measuring to make sure we were centered and spaced correctly. I used the digital level...I set the "alt zero" on the underside of the saddles, then we set the face of the diff housing for 4 degrees...90-4=86 :) Gave them some good tacks....then flipped it over and welded it.

100_0487.jpg

100_0489.jpg

100_0490.jpg

100_0491.jpg

100_0492.jpg

100_0493.jpg

100_0494.jpg

100_0495.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When Doug tried to put the rearend back together, it wouldn't go. We messed around with trying to straighten it. We figured out that the ends were bent down quite a bit. Until just now, when I got on here to post this and I saw the pics of the spring perches....it hadn't dawned on me.... the tubes shrunk when we welded the perches on!!! It's been driving me nuts trying to figure out what the heck happend. The housing was tweaked a bit fore and aft, which is what we were playing with in these pics. Once we put the axles in and saw what was going on, we decided it was best that he just pay the $75 to have Dutchman straighten it. They'll put in on a jig and heat it up. We could heat it here, but we can't accurately hold it. Oh well. Even though we didn't really get anywhere, I thought the pic with the port-a-power might give someone some ideas. :)

100_0550.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0554.jpg

great work. im doing the same thing to my datsun b210. i have an 85 rx7 rear end it came with disk brakes and lsd. i'm having my local axle shop cut it down and narrow it. is there any way that i could rent from you the cut pumkin and axle rod alignment pieces that you fabricated to have my local shop do my axle? they have never narrowed an axle like this. i will pay for shipping both ways and whatever you charge. im not going to narrow it till around this summer. any help is appreciated.

you can see my b210 right here.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/9755-ca18det-in-by-bee-oh-yah/page__p__129501__hl__%2Bca18det+%2Bin+%2Bmy+%2Bbee%2C+%2Boh+%2Byah%26%2333%3B__fromsearch__1#entry129501

We can chat about it....pm me sometime. I haven't paid attention to the mix/match of parts....you may want to chat with Doug too about if you have the same bearings and such. It might be best for you to buy the bar down there....it was only $65....probably going to cost about half that just to ship it one way because it's a weird shape.

When i made the swap in my b210 i just shortend the axle housing 4 inches( i think) and had a freind at woodys cut and spline my axles, i used a 85 gsl-se rear with disk and lsd, with the axle complete and the housing cleand of any bracketry i placed onto my leafs bolted it in and welded the leaf pads on, then i used the pan hard bar that came on the rx7 as a pinion snubber, when it was installed i towed it down to i-5 drive-line here in portland and he cut the drive line for me, i didnt mess with the pinoin at all and im woundering why you did? Just to make a jig for your outers? Great work by the way, you guys make a good team, i also tightend up my lsd by adding another disk, i didnt like how tight that made it so i took two disks and sanded alittle off of them, now its perfect exept i cooked my rear coolent seal in the old wenkel, time for a rebuild, again for the 3rd time since i got it