Valentine

skyblue

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

no real updates. put her to work today and picked up my bike from work in SF.

37792614926_33cc909445_b.jpg

23988511048_4f8594468a_b.jpg

There was, however, something troubling that happened. about halfway across the bay bridge i started hearing a rattling noise coming from below me whenever i let off the gas or accelerated. it was a loud metal rattle. i pulled over to see if the drive shaft was loose or something but found nothing wrong. so i limped her home at about 45-50mph and it would do it sporadically. sounded like it was coming from the transmission. *sigh* just when i think the truck is doing well some gremlin pops its head up and says fuck you. Maybe the load of the bike was too much for the old girl. I was on the edge of my seat all the way home just praying something didn't explode. Thankfully i made it home safe and sound. But now i have to investigate this cause it sounded real bad. 

• Like 3

*sigh* just when i think the truck is doing well some gremlin pops its head up and says fuck you. Maybe the load of the bike was too much for the old girl. I was on the edge of my seat all the way home just praying something didn't explode. Thankfully i made it home safe and sound. But now i have to investigate this cause it sounded real bad. 

Feel the same way man.  I don't have to drive this fucking thing, I choose to and sometimes I wonder why I do it.  Sucks wondering what broke, what is going to break or whether you are going to make it home. 

Hopefully its nothing major man.

• Like 1

Wayne, I thought it might have been the exhaust at first, but it sounded different than exhaust rattle.

d.p., haha. If it didn't look so cool I'd gotten rid of it a long time ago. Lol

Tanker, thanks. I hope it's nothing. But it sure does sound like something.

Mainer, I'll try that next time.

• Like 3

Get under it and start banging on things with your fist. If it's in the exhaust or some kind of bracket, you'll find it with just your fist.

The thing that worries me is that you say it happens on or off throttle. That says driveshaft or differential. With the added weight of the bike in the back, a failing u-joint could make a noise like that.

• Like 1

Get under it and start banging on things with your fist. If it's in the exhaust or some kind of bracket, you'll find it with just your fist.

The thing that worries me is that you say it happens on or off throttle. That says driveshaft or differential. With the added weight of the bike in the back, a failing u-joint could make a noise like that.

as soon as I get some free time that's what i'll do. I'm thinking u-joint too, but since i put the stock 2 piece shaft i put all new ones in there. they probably don't even have 1,000 miles on them. I have had diff problems in the past where the nut holding the flange came loose and made the Drive shaft rattle around. My big fear is the tranny got fucked up when the 1-piece blew up several months back.

When u let off? Possibly diff

you think so? Any tips on how to check if it's the diff?

• Like 1

Take the diff fill plug out and put your finger into the gear oil thru the hole, what color is the gear oil when you pull your finger out?

Black is not great

Silver is terrible

Metal grains visible is really bad

Amber, it is likely fine

If you cannot even feel gear oil, well you should have seen the leak

• Like 2

Take the diff fill plug out and put your finger into the gear oil thru the hole, what color is the gear oil when you pull your finger out?

Black is not great

Silver is terrible

Metal grains visible is really bad

Amber, it is likely fine

If you cannot even feel gear oil, well you should have seen the leak

i will check that for sure. thx

If the nut on your companion flange was so loose that your driveshaft was wobbling around, your ring and pinion aren’t going to look very good.

well that was like 3-4 Canby's ago. maybe it's been slowly fucking shit up.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So i drove the truck to busta nuts shop last week with no load. To my surprise it didn't make the noise. I even took it up to 65mph lol. nothing out of the ordinary so I didn't bother to put it on the rack. Maybe the bike was just too much weight for a lowered truck. either way I should take a close look underneath at some point because I plan to take it to Canby next year. For now she seems to be doing well.

38369802075_2d1e43f043_b.jpg

• Like 3

One common complaint with pickup truck owners is vibration while loaded up. The pinion angle is set with no load in mind, because that's the most likely scenario. When the suspension compresses, the pinion angle shouldn't change much, but it does change.

If you really want to fix the problem, you can get creative with a two piece shaft and a CV on the middle joint (like Toyota). Any driveline shop should be able to make you a custom setup, but you will have to verify or possibly reset the pinion angle to get the proper geometry.

I built a 63 Nova a couple years ago that rode on air bags. Since the customer wanted to be able to drive it at varying ride heights, we used a custom CV slip yoke on his driveshaft. No vibrations at all. I also use CVs on all of my offroad builds. It's just one of those details that gets overlooked by a lot of people.

• Like 3

One common complaint with pickup truck owners is vibration while loaded up. The pinion angle is set with no load in mind, because that's the most likely scenario. When the suspension compresses, the pinion angle shouldn't change much, but it does change.

If you really want to fix the problem, you can get creative with a two piece shaft and a CV on the middle joint (like Toyota). Any driveline shop should be able to make you a custom setup, but you will have to verify or possibly reset the pinion angle to get the proper geometry.

I built a 63 Nova a couple years ago that rode on air bags. Since the customer wanted to be able to drive it at varying ride heights, we used a custom CV slip yoke on his driveshaft. No vibrations at all. I also use CVs on all of my offroad builds. It's just one of those details that gets overlooked by a lot of people.

These trucks come stock with a 2 piece drive shaft. I think he converted to 1 piece out of a 520, plus dropping does not help either. Its fixed now, just had to unload the bike. Merry Christmas.

• Like 2

thats's a good idea. 

To fix this issue he could put small overload type airbags in the rear and when he loads it up put a little air in them till it has the proper stance.

I tried to install some air shocks a while ago, but they were too fat and would not clear the shock cross member. Maybe I'll do like jrock and relocate that cross member ti clear air shocks.

• Like 2

thats's a good idea. 

I tried to install some air shocks a while ago, but they were too fat and would not clear the shock cross member. Maybe I'll do like jrock and relocate that cross member ti clear air shocks.

So you are saying that when you tried to mount the air shock on the upper mount(eye type mount) the hood/sleeve of the shock hit the cross member the mounts are connected to?

Can you buy a lighter duty air shock that is not as large.

• Like 1

So you are saying that when you tried to mount the air shock on the upper mount(eye type mount) the hood/sleeve of the shock hit the cross member the mounts are connected to?

Can you buy a lighter duty air shock that is not as large.

That is correct.

At the time they where just some shocks busta nut had. a lighter duty shock is a good idea, ill have to look into it.

took her out shopping and stopped at in n out for lunch.

25455796728_ab4248bc3a_b.jpg

• Like 3