Project:411 SSS R16 to KA24e Swap

Datsun411SSS

ok, i figure u are experienced enough to do this if u undertaking it, but if u come up wondering on anything hit me up i do full babrication for a living and id be happy to lend a hand or knowledge

awesome, i will definately keep you in mind if I get stumped somewhere. so far I havent ran into major issues... i believe i will be running a side mount turbo manifold in order to route the exhaust back into the fenderwell... there is no other room whatsoever to run it any other way..

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

funny u shood mention that. pretty soon i will be working on a new subframe for the 410/411 that is going to be rack and pinion and i will have it setup to be either rhd or lhd and it is going to have plenty of room to send the exhaust down thru the bottom. i just dont know a completion date.

really? dang nice... let me know when you complete it.. im definately interested on this..

on a side note, does anyone know where i can get a side mount turbo manifold for the single cam ka24 already made for cheap? I found one on ebay but they want $250 plus shipping for it...

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Finally the weather cleared up and I got a chance to work on the car some more.... the motor and transmission are bolted on in place after some custom fabrication.... see pix below..

the flipped crossmember idea did not work... so we came up with this..  We had to cut the top portion of the pipe in order for it to clear the rear of the oil pan:
IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

Underside angle:

IMAG0013.jpg

Test fitting:
IMAG0015.jpg

Sidemount Turbo manifold:
IMAG0002.jpg

Thats all for this weekend.... next weekend i will bolt on the intake manifold back up along with the starter and other accessories... I should also be running the new fuel lines..

feel free to ask any questions or comments ;-)

curiosity killed the cat. but what was the decision on puttin this motor in rather than a z24, the later hardbody motor. just that you picked it up cheap or was it that it would fit better in the car. your motor swap is inspiring me to want to do one in my 411. :) im not gonna jump into it right yet but just getting ideas for the future.

Well, that pipe puzzle reconnects (sorta) the front cross-member, but what about engine mounts?

Pete

Yeah its somewhat of a puzzle but no other way to reinforce the cross member.. it worked great and it is not binding or anything... the oil pan sits inside the "square"... as for the motor mounts, they were just relocated a little further back and rewelded....i will be using the stock motor mounts welded on to the ka24 oem brackets. i will try to get pictures this coming weekend.

curiosity killed the cat. but what was the decision on puttin this motor in rather than a z24, the later hardbody motor. just that you picked it up cheap or was it that it would fit better in the car. your motor swap is inspiring me to want to do one in my 411. :) im not gonna jump into it right yet but just getting ideas for the future.

Well i got a good deal on it and am more familiar with this motor... my brother had done this swap on his 510 which didnt seem too difficult... most of the fabrication is now completed... i just need to get the driveshaft cut and balanced and reweld the exhaust to the new manifold bracket... then the electrical portion will need to be done.

i was kinda wondering about the tranny. from the pic underneath the car it looks pretty bulky with how low the car sits already from the pics. lol i was like damn that thing is gonna hit gnarly on the floor. do u have pretty good clearance with that or did u have to find a smaller one. if that makes any sence at all :/

Ha! Good one, Erich.

I still have the original shareware program, Oil Leak, on a 5-1/4 floppy.

5 1/4 floppy, so u played it on a green and black screen lol, i havent seen one of those since like first grade!

• 2 weeks later...

everything got bolted up.. starter... turbo exhaust manifold, intake manifold, radiator... i havent updated since i forgot to take pictures this last weekend i worked on it...

To do list:

Run new fuel lines

Install inline fuel pump

Run wiring harness/ECU

Have driveshaft shortened and rebalanced

install cooling fans

Take car to exhaust shop to do the exhaust

I think that is it... Oh yeah, after the car is running, i will be throwing in the R4 cam... I think that is it.. most of the difficult stuff has been done... I can only work on it once a week so i usually go at for 8 hours for that day..

I say it should be done and running by June or so... Will be taking it to JCCS this year again if possible.

Worked on the car today for a bit... Transmission is bolted on to original cross member, removed original fuel lines and fuel tank, upper radiator hose installed .. here's a few pictures of how the car looks as of today...

Hood clearance for valve cover... I have about 4 inches of clearance..
IMAG0024.jpg

Undershot of ground clearance or oil pan..(original license plate frame from dealer =] )
IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

To do:
waiting on can/am easy wiring box so i can start wiring
run new fuel lines and install inline fuel pump
put in lower radiator hose

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I dropped off the driveshaft to get shortened and balanced.. should be ready by tomorrow. Also picked up mass airflow and intake tube... I'm off work Thursday so I should work on it some more that day... I'll post more pictures ..

Also received can/am easy wiring box from icehouse... Thank you ! Wiring should begin soon