71' SR20VE 510

SyCK

No Hijack but I've been watching a thread on an SR20VET build since this guy in Australia started it last year.

Damn amazing!

S15 (Stage 2 SR23VET power) Mazworx SR23VET

Allot of VE info and such. Makes me want to do a VET build on my 510...

That would be the first here, even in the whole country.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job on the updates SyCK. I think you and I have the only ve powered Datsuns on this forum. Us ve guys need to stick together. :lol:

Any plans on taking it to the track (drag/circuit)?

Thanks, link me to some pics or a thread on your car right meow.

I plan on taking it to the drag strip soon, the retune free'd up some decent power so I am curious as to what it can do. I would eventually like to take it on a road course but there's still a few things I need to do on the car before I take that adventure.

No Hijack but I've been watching a thread on an SR20VET build since this guy in Australia started it last year.

Damn amazing!

Thanks for the link, actually my initial intention was to turbo this car. Though now I'm a bit undecided since the car is so fun to drive as it is. That and I think I'd go overboard, power wise, if I went down that road. I am of the school of if you're not breaking the tires loose at 60+ then you're doing it wrong... boost is such an addiction :frantics:

Damn amazing!

Note haha. A small shop in the nw is doing one

So these updates are a result of a domino effect. All I wanted to do was install the steering brace but I had to remove the header to get to it, so I figured since it was out might as well get it coated and add a bung for a wideband gauge. Then the rest just sort of steamrolled from there.... I had the car retuned for a MAP sensor and it runs sooo much better, picked up some HP too. It put down 220/hp and 164/tq on an unloaded dyno.

Love it or hate it, it's all good 2cooleek.gif

A couple pics of the car -

front.jpg

side.jpg

rear.jpg

Inside -

Prosport 80mm tach

matching Greddy fuel gauge

tripple gauge pod

AEM UEGO wideband gauge

orange LED bulbs to replace the stock speedo bulbs

mounted a fire extinguisher because you never know...

wheel.jpg

guages.jpg

fire.jpg

Engine bay -

Header - welded two o2 sensor bungs, had it performance coated from Polydyn and replaced the stock gasket with an S15 7 layer gasket

a new set of LS7 coil packs

I had the injectors cleaned, flowed and balanced

-8 AN lines and fittings from valve cover to the catch can

I had the lower intake runners, velocity stacks and the catch can chromed

I tapped the lower runners for vacuum lines and ran them to a vacuum distribution block --> to MAP sensor

I had the valve cover and strut bar ends powdercoated a custom mix

Transmission and LSD flushed and filled with Amsoil

brakes and clutch bled and filled with ATE super blue racing fluid

engine1.jpg

fronteng.jpg

front1.jpg

engside1.jpg

engside.jpg

Looks good, nice upgrades.

Thanks!

Didn't the VE only come in FWD cars? i can't really tell from the pics, but did you have to cut your firewall?

Yes it did, the VVL head is mated to a RWD SR20DE block and there was a recess welded in the firewall for the solenoids to fit.

Where is your VE thread?

(No hijack)

Thanks, link me to some pics or a thread on your car right meow.

Soon grasshoppers. :D I'm actually doing 2 setups; 1 for the 240z, which was a engine I built 5yrs ago for my old NX2000 (took everything apart from the fwd block and put it to a rwd block). The other is a big bore setup that will be for my 2dr 510. That should be finished by next spring. I'll start a thread at the top of the year for both builds once I get some momentum going.

.... I had the car retuned for a MAP sensor and it runs sooo much better, picked up some HP too. It put down 220/hp and 164/tq on an unloaded dyno.

Those are really strong/high numbers for your setup. Was this a Standard or SAE reading? Also, where was your peek power and what cams are you using?

Time to take this baby to the drag strip and get some #'s :)

Soon grasshoppers. :D I'm actually doing 2 setups; 1 for the 240z, which was a engine I built 5yrs ago for my old NX2000 (took everything apart from the fwd block and put it to a rwd block). The other is a big bore setup that will be for my 2dr 510. That should be finished by next spring. I'll start a thread at the top of the year for both builds once I get some momentum going.

Those are really strong/high numbers for your setup. Was this a Standard or SAE reading? Also, where was your peek power and what cams are you using?

Time to take this baby to the drag strip and get some #'s :)

Standard I believe and on an unloaded dyno, I neglected to grab the sheet when I picked the car up since I was too excited to go drive it. Power peaked and started to fall off around 7800 or so and it's on stock cams at the moment. Not much I can do about that with the flattop DE pistons, no way to run a decent cam without slamming the valves into the top of them :(

Hitting the strip up probably in November :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Nah, I've driven it maybe twice since the last update and haven't really messed with it. I have a gopro here so I can make a vid driving it around but I've been a bit lazy lately :( Plus it's starting to get cold here and it kind of sucks in the cold, I sweat my ass off in it during the summer and it is a freezer in the cold. I guess it's just going to be a fall/spring car :hmm:

I'm trying to set up a run with my buddies SC'd camaro and his roomates turbo'd vdubb so if that happens I'll get it on video and post it up.

• 1 month later...

I think that thing sounds great. Would sound even better with a Burns Stainless muffler.

mmmmm I love me some burns. I've actually thought about picking one up but I can't decide if I want that bullet style muffler on the car, just seems out of place to me.

...and thanks guys :thumbup: it's a blast to drive.

• 3 weeks later...