71' SR20VE 510

SyCK

Well after 4 years with the GS300 I grew bored of it and decided that I wanted something fun to drive for a daily again. So I promptly listed it around on a few forums and started looking for something. I wasn’t sure what I wanted at that point and was initially looking for a swapped SC300 or a well taken care of and modified 240. I later came across a thread somewhere with some bad ass OG Japanese rides and I then got hooked in the idea of owning one. At one point had a trade worked out for a 72’ Celica coupe in Kentucky but with bad timing and bad weather it didn’t end up working out before the guy had a cash offer for it. After a bit more looking around I happened upon this 1971 4dr from Cali that, in looks, reminded me of the Datsun my parents had when I was growing up. So I contacted the owner and worked out a good deal, put a deposit down on it and had it on the way here a couple weeks later. It finally showed up mid last week and man… this thing smaller than I remember! Being 6’2” 230 it’s a bitch to get in and out of but once you get seated there is plenty of room and it’s actually comfy.

Driving it is a blast and the handling it has is way better than I had expected. It’s also a bit faster than I thought it was going to be and once the VVL kicks in the thing just screams. The crap tune it has is on it is rich as hell but it runs great, I haven’t had a chance to find a place to weight it yet but the guy said it was right around 2000lbs. With some cams, lightweight flywheel and a good tune this thing will be a beast.

Body and panel wise it is very solid, some surface rust here and there but nothing bad. The interior is pretty much stripped aside from the carpet and door panels so driving in the rain is going to be LOUD!

Motor and go stuff

S14 SR20DE block with SR20VE NEO VVL head (11:1)

R&D Factory high capacity oil pan

Custom Danstoy intake manifold, AE111 ITB’s and T3 velocity stacks

One off DGR equal length stainless 4-1 header

Custom DGR aluminum radiator with 12" electric fan

RCI aluminum overflow tank

LS1 coilpacks

2.5" exhaust with stainless Magnaflow muffler

S14 5spd with short shifter

Modified S14 driveshaft

4:38 JDM Subaru LSD

RCI aluminum 10 gallon fuel cell with walbro pump

Electronics

Haltech E6X EMS

Custom S14 wiring harness

Greddy oil pressure and water temp gauge

Pivot 80mm tachometer

Suspension

MADDAT engine mount kit with 1" front swaybar

MADDAT steering box brace

S14 Meagan front coilovers on 280Z spindles

Techno Toy rear coilovers

Techno Toy RCA’s

Techno Toy Camber plates

Techno Toy tension control rods

Cusco strut bar

280Z front disk brakes

Interior

Recaro SRD seats with schroth harnesses

Nardi Deep corn 350mm wheel, ACR (Japan) Steering wheel adaptor and Works Bell quick release hub

New carpet

Odyssey battery/bracket relocated behind passenger seat

I had a couple friends take some pics of it for me Saturday. We were only able to hit 2 spots that day so we’re going to shoot some more soon.

2-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

pic2-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic4.jpg

3-2.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

Couple of edited pics

pic10.jpg

test.jpg

pic9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a cool car, must have been a bit of a shock going from a gs300 to a 510. Its pretty odd going from my subi to my 510 so I cant imagine going from a comfortable car like a gs.You gonna do paint on it or just rock it as is?

Thanks guys, it's an absolute blast to drive.

Thats a cool car, must have been a bit of a shock going from a gs300 to a 510. Its pretty odd going from my subi to my 510 so I cant imagine going from a comfortable car like a gs.You gonna do paint on it or just rock it as is?

lol yeah, quite a change. I remember going from the supra to the GS and I was oooh'in and awww'in over how comfortable and quiet the ride was. But, it gets old and boring after awhile and it was time to move on to loud and obnoxious again :cool:

• Like 2

I really like that car too! The color stance and rims all look great. If you get a chance you should try and make a vid with good sound quality. I remember seeing the old vids but the sounds was sucky. I want to hear that thing wind up!

• Like 2

I really like that car too! The color stance and rims all look great. If you get a chance you should try and make a vid with good sound quality. I remember seeing the old vids but the sounds was sucky. I want to hear that thing wind up!

:) I'll get some vids next time I meet up with my buddy with a GoPro camera, I don't have anything I can easily mount right now. We were going to video some stuff when we took the pics but things got cut short that day.

I love the color, I was asking the original owner the color code on the support about a month ago. I am going with a light sky blue, here is mine. I think I might raise the ass up a round 2 inches after looking at your pic.

Nice! I want to go lower but the roads here suck for the most part. If I decide to do it I'll have to get a skid plate fab'd to protect the oil pan or something. Do you still want the color code? I can check for it tomorrow since I'll be out there dicking with the car anyway.

Very nice. I had my eye on that car for a while. probably my favorite motor swap into a 510.

I have a haltech e6x in my rally car. I'd love to see your tune if you could download and share the file. the haltech software is free. It's a pretty good system I think after learning a bit about it. Would be cool to see the different setups.

Also, it's a good thing that you're running rich. Tuning a haltech with the ITB's is tricky cause you're probably basing engine load on throttle position instead of manifold pressure.

• Like 1

Very nice. I had my eye on that car for a while. probably my favorite motor swap into a 510.

I have a haltech e6x in my rally car. I'd love to see your tune if you could download and share the file. the haltech software is free. It's a pretty good system I think after learning a bit about it. Would be cool to see the different setups.

Also, it's a good thing that you're running rich. Tuning a haltech with the ITB's is tricky cause you're probably basing engine load on throttle position instead of manifold pressure.

It is based off the TPS unfortunately so at some point I'm going try switch over to a MAP setup tapped into each runner. I'm not sure what all is involved with that but I'll look into it when I am ready.

If I can ever get my laptop setup with the software I'll be happy to share the file, I downgraded to XP and it still won't load or work so I'm going to try and find a copy or windows95 or something. Kind of sucks it doesn't work with win7 or XP :(

Nice! I want to go lower but the roads here suck for the most part. If I decide to do it I'll have to get a skid plate fab'd to protect the oil pan or something. Do you still want the color code? I can check for it tomorrow since I'll be out there dicking with the car anyway.

No thanks, I have decided on 546 or 562.

Oh, and a little birdy tells me you're in the Houston area? Is that right?

yessir :) Your buddy said you sold yours? That blue looks like it has more pop than mine, this is a light skyish blue. I'll pull the sticker off tomorrow and check it out.

I just fell in love with you car man! The stance is perfect in my eyes! Great color! Welcome!

Thanks man :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been working on the car here and there fixing some issues and trying to clean it up some. I re-did alot of the wiring and now have all of the lights working and I got the cluster / greddy gauged illuminating. I wired the tach into the Haltech so now I just need to get the software loaded and change a setting. The speedo needs a couple of parts to work and I should be getting them soon.

I've cleaned up the interior pretty good and I sprayed the door panels and dash with some black spray fabric coating.

stock color

2011-02-12_161131.jpg

after

2011-02-28_163835.jpg

2011-02-28_163903.jpg

The top pad on the dash just needed to be re-glued to sit right and I put the front dash vents in after a respray.

2011-02-28_164235.jpg

remounted the Haltech and cleaned the wiring up

2011-02-28_164150.jpg

2011-02-28_163844.jpg

routed the vent line for the fuel cell through the tire well and put a breather on the end, no more getting high on gas fumes!

2011-02-28_164022.jpg

I installed this aluminum overflow tank, I bought it before I even had the car here. Took some pics of the radiator too.

2011-02-28_164350.jpg

2011-02-28_164412.jpg

2011-02-28_164430.jpg

I need some sort of filters for these velocity stacks, anyone and any good ideas on what to use or get? I saw some VS booties that looked like panty hose with an elastic ends that would be ideal but I'd be too afraid of them getting sucked in. I don't have alot of space between them either for some of the foam ones I've seen and I'd like to be able to remove them easily. Ideas?