How to put together a shortshaft 5 speed for a L20b

wayno

Nope, the only single piece driveline that I know will go into the 521 is the 520 driveline, but it still needs the soft plug installed, or a different yoke.

I grabbed the hole driveline I wounder if I can just use that it is a one piece I'm lowered so I think there would be no issue with cross member just hope it is the right length

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my 520 with the L20B automatic I found a drive line in a 78 610.  I measured my 520 for the drive shaft length and went to ecology and just started measuring different Datsun/Nissan cars until I found one that would work.  My experience with the front yokes they are pretty much the same five speed automatic are interchangeable.

so i have barley any clutch. arm is always against the back of the hole in the tranny. so i have the arm for the 5speed throw out bearing for l16 .and does it matter witch front cover i use that covers the bearings in the transmission and have the sleeve for the throw out bearing i used the one for  the 5 speed 

so i have barley any clutch. arm is always against the back of the hole in the tranny. so i have the arm for the 5speed throw out bearing for l16 .and does it matter witch front cover i use that covers the bearings in the transmission and have the sleeve for the throw out bearing i used the one for  the 5 speed 

I believe that we already touched this subject, you have to use the throw out bearing collar/sleeve that goes with the clutch cover/pressure plate, if that was the one that was in the 4 speed, then that one is the one you needed to use, the 5 speed collar/sleeve is likely shorter, so that would mean the arm would hit the back of the tranny hole the arm comes out of because the collar has to move farther in to touch the pressure plate fingers.

sorry I feel dumb now. I miss understood what the sleeve was I feel dump. so im setup the way I should be think it is time for new clutch kit thank you again

Just so you understand, 200mm clutch covers/pressure plates have a specific collar/sleeve, 225mm use a different collar/sleeve, 240mm use yet another collar/sleeve, and roadster clutch covers/pressure plates are yet another collar/sleeve, you need to use the collar/sleeve that goes with the size clutch cover/pressure plate you are using.

You see the clutch covers/pressure plates are different heights depending on which size they are, but the transmission front housings are all the same size, so they made different length collars/sleeves to match the clutch covers/pressure plates used.