New to the 521 crew!

DatWifey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is really the only photo that you want to see..... checkin out your own ass, huh?

IMG_3320-1.jpg

But on to the real shit. Pumpkin came over on Saturday and helped us with a daunting task of replacing all of our hard brake line. We are doing Mike's front disk brake upgrade and have entered severely uncharted territory to both Brodster and myself, so Dave's help was more appreciated than either of us can express.

This shows the brake lines up on the firewall before Dave's magic:

IMG_2206.jpg

And here are the brake lines after. Oooo la la, invisible brake lines!!

IMG_3325.jpg

Nicely hugging the fender into the wheel well:

IMG_3313.jpg

The new 620 master cylinder, proportioning valve and lines:

IMG_3326-1.jpg

A new glass fuel filter compliments of Dave:

IMG_3328.jpg

And THE best upgrade of all time!! Compliments of Dave as well (this got permanently installed earlier today) :w00t:

IMG_3331.jpg

And I guess I'll mention that Brodster also got the back drum brakes upgraded with new parts as well, and new shocks all the way around (thanks again to Hastifc for donating his rear hard brake lines).

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

And I got the turn signals cleaned up and painted with chrome paint.

Before:

IMG_3000.jpg

After:

IMG_3323.jpg

I feel so loved with the help and hookups that we've received from various people here. Without many of you, our truck would not be even close to where it is today! Thank you guys :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, many of you saw us at Canby, but here's an update on the truck anyway.

The brake swap up front is complete, the door panels are done (they came out alright, but I'll probably re-do them this summer again), and I have one more kick panel to get cut and put in. But, here are some final photos of the progress we made up until two days before Canby.

Brody pulled much of the front suspension to clean, paint and install new bushings.

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

And, put new shocks up front and in the back

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

We had some issues with the fulcrum bolt going back into the lower control arms, and ended up finding that the lower control arm threads were stripped. So, in order to get her back on the road and to Canby, Brody did a nice little JB Weld on it. This isn't usually how he likes to do shit, but to keep the wifey happy, sometimes you need to just get shit done :D

IMG_3423.jpg

While Brody did the majority of the work on the suspension and brakes, I did some more of the womanly duties, such as sewing and getting the passenger side mirror in working order.

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

And, until we get the stereo in, we made a custom delete plate for the gaping hole in our dash :)

IMG_3485.jpg

Now that all of that shit's done and dealt with, we will get the stereo in, and get some more support in the package tray that we picked up from 420and620, and then probably dive into doing a L20B swap. But, for now, this is where we stand.

Lila-1.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

Thanks for the photos of the steering column guys! I finally remembered to get out and get a better photo of the setup on ours. It does look like there's a small spacer or dampener in there.

IMG_2426.jpg

We also managed to get out to the Lakewood Pull-A-Part yesterday and get some hubs off of a 620 out there (and scored some clean wheel rings that were in the bed still), so we're beginning the process of collecting parts to upgrade the front brakes to discs since the current brakes are pretty shitty. Might as well upgrade shit that matters first huh? ^_^

And, we went and checked out a clean little '72 that was posted on Craigslist in Fife yesterday to have some references of stock styles for future fixes/updates that we do.

3-4.jpg

theres no spacer in the column, your dash had been re-installed incorrectly.

Ted, thanks. We actually figured it out a little bit ago, and will fix it when we pull the dash this summer :)

And Dan, this took a whole hell of a lot longer than a week ;) It was more like a month and a half of ripping shit apart, waiting on parts and getting it all put back together. And we did it because the brakes completely went out on me, so it wasn't a matter of 'wanting' to, but needing to. Either way, it was well worth it. It felt weird this week not working on anything :lol:

• 1 month later...

Well, things have started up again for us recently. We were doing random shit with the stereo amp, and I tore the shitty old seat cover off that the PO put on and stitched up a new one for our little beauty. I'm still in the process of re-doing the door panel upholstery again, but it's once again been put on the back burner.

Since we picked up the truck in January we've been saying that this summer we were going to pull the bed off, tackle the rust issue and possibly line it with a bedliner, and slap a solid coat on the chassis while we were at it. But, as many of you who live in the Northwest have seen, our summer has been nearly non-existent and we still hadn't gotten to it and it's coming up on mid-August already. So, I finally told Brody that we needed to at least tackle the rust in the bed if we weren't going to go the full distance and take the bed off and do the chassis too.

We got everything together to prep and POR15 the bed by Saturday afternoon, and started getting the truck ready for the weekend job. Once again, Pumpkin was at our place, and asked us why we weren't removing the entire bed and doing everything. I asked him if he'd like to help us to make it happen........ and off we went.

This is what we were starting with.

DSC_4426.jpg

Brody and Dave removing the gas tank and bed bolts.

DSC_4448.jpg

Dave and Brody...... being manly men, admiring their work.

DSC_4452-2.jpg

DSC_4454.jpg

Dave shot a few photos after removing the bed. Here he's standing on our other car across the street to get the angle.

DSC_4457-2.jpg

This is peering through the gas tank access panel in the floor of the truck bed.

DSC_4459.jpg

And peering the other direction, into our garage at our '72 510, and the NapZ motor we pulled at Micro's a few weeks ago that will go into it someday when we're finished with all this shit on the truck :lol: (and I'm totally in love with this photo! :wub:)

DSC_4461.jpg

The bed was moved around to our backyard to be worked on.

DSC_4471-2.jpg

Of course the dogs always seem to love helping.

DSC_4476-2.jpg

DSC_4483-2.jpg

DSC_4491-2.jpg

DSC_4496-2.jpg

DSC_4499-2.jpg

We finally got two solid coats of POR15 on it by Monday night. And we've just brushed the tip of this iceburg...... :D

DSC_4533-1.jpg

I love that I managed to be in none of the photos, but in actuality, I wire brushed and sanded a good portion of the floor of the bed while Brodster was removing and grinding out random screws in it. <_<

We've got family shit going on for the next few weeks, so this will be a slow process of trying to work on it in the evenings after work, but it's finally underway, and that's what matters! :w00t:

I WANT ONE OF THESE!

Yeah, we got lucked out getting this one. We pulled two AM/FM radios out of two different cars at the local junkyards, but neither are quite the same as this with the faceplate that goes into our '71 dash.

I'll keep my eyes open for one for you though.

Gosh, how could I forget to post Brody giving Dave the Ratsun salute?!

DSC_4463-2.jpg

Dave was a peach and took some parts home to sand blast for us. We got them back today, so we'll be taking care of these soon as well

Thanks Pumpkin!!

This is how the shit started out :hmm:

IMG_4266.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

And how the shit ended up :w00t:

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

Yeah, we got lucked out getting this one. We pulled two AM/FM radios out of two different cars at the local junkyards, but neither are quite the same as this with the faceplate that goes into our '71 dash.

I'll keep my eyes open for one for you though.

that would be awesome! i have yet to find one with the faceplate, or a the right radio for that matter.

Another brief update of the parts that Pumpkin sandblasted for us. We had family in town over the weekend, so they got to watch Brodster and I prep and paint all of these parts with POR15. We're good hosts! :lol:

Before Pumpkin sandblasted:

IMG_4266.jpg

And now with POR15

DSC_4601.jpg

Haha, yeah, we drilled out the screws. They are easily replaceable with shit at Home Depot. There was no way that all of them were going to come out, but a few came out relatively easily.

While I'm here, here are a few update photos. We've had family from out of state cycling through our house over the past two weeks, so the progress has been slow, but it's still moving along.

My father-in-law was left at our place while we both went to work last Monday. He asked Brodster for something to do to keep him busy.... so we set him to work on wire brushing and flapper sanding the chassis. I wish he would have been able to stay longer to get more done for us! :lol:

We finally got to POR15ing and Black Chassis Coating 2/3 of the frame over Saturday and Sunday, while still trying to play host to my brother-in-law. We'll tackle the remainder of the chassis, and work on sealing the gas tank this coming weekend when we've finally got a quiet house again.

Before1.jpg

After1.jpg

DSC_4772.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, many of you saw us at Canby, but here's an update on the truck anyway.

The brake swap up front is complete, the door panels are done (they came out alright, but I'll probably re-do them this summer again), and I have one more kick panel to get cut and put in. But, here are some final photos of the progress we made up until two days before Canby.

IMG_3365.jpg

hey DW, where did you score the TC rod bushings?

did your bumperettes bolt right up?

i can kind of see them in this pic

DSC_4463-2.jpg

i got mine off a 320 and i think they are different than the ones you have.....

DSC03363.jpg

here is how they mount

DSC03369.jpg

DSC03366.jpg

and here is the holes on my frame

DSC03372.jpg

i havent tried bolting mine up (dont have the bolts ATM), but when i held them up, only the last two holes on the bumperettes matched the ones on the frame and they seemed to be running into the the tail lights.......maybe i will just have to make a bracket

Lucky for you, our shit's all still pulled apart, so it was easy for me to take quick photos :P

Obviously, our frame is the same as yours being as both our trucks are the same year, but for the sake of photo evidence ;)

IMG_4413.jpg

But, the brackets for your bumperettes look quite a bit different. This is a close-up of the holes lining up on ours

IMG_4414.jpg

And a bit more captured in the frame here for more reference

IMG_4415.jpg

Let me know if you would like more photos of any of it for more reference, Jon.

thank you! did you get your truck with the bumperettes or did you buy them? for me, i think i will just have to takesome metal and drill holes in it for it to mount correctly.

thanks again for the pics!