Chet's 620 project Cuz Turbo

chester

Well I thought i would start a build thread now after having the truck on the road for a couple of months now. Lets see i bought the truck back in august for $200 which worked out great because i sold my 84 720 4x4 the weekend before. It is a 77 620 from cali so it has the elec dist. It also has a 5spd. Here is what it looked like when i got it. The guy I got it from said the motor was rebuilt in 2009 and when i looked at the motor someone wrote July 2009 on the valve cover so he could have been right. Then he started to tell me that he was driving on the freeway about October or November that same year and it just lost power and died.

This is when we got the truck to Gage's house (sick620) 0824001911.jpg0824001911a.jpg

After getting it to his place i started to tear apart to motor to see what happened. I got as far as pulling the motor. Before i pulled it i tried to turn the motor over but of course it was froze up. When i brought the truck home so i didnt have to drive 30 miles to work on it. I got it home and began to tear the block apart and when i pulled the oil pan off the rod bearings on number four were in between the weights of the crank and the rod. As you can see in this oic the rod bearings kind of molded together. The second oic is of one of the rod bearings from number 3.0917102010.jpg0917101710.jpg

Luckly I had spoke to Kim at Idaho Z and he had a L16 with a fresh U67 head that had a mild cam. I picked the motor up for $250. It took me awhile to get the motor because in the middle of September i had lost my job so money was short. Finally about the end of October i picked the motor up and got it in to find out the the collar for the throw out bearing was to long of the L16 clutch set up. Once again I went to Idaho Z and he said grab on of each size and figure out what one would work the best for you. With being tight on money after about a week i got the truck running barely. The stock carb that was on the L16 was complete crap, it had no power and sputtered real bad. Jason (wide14u) had a weber laying around and told me to put it on. since i had never really messed with carbs to much before and i needed to put the lowering blocks in that i got from Farmer Joe. I met up with him and we did my block, put the carb on, raised the front end up a little, and put the carb on. here is some oics while and after the motor install.1110101717.jpg1112101422.jpg1026101654.jpg1114101619.jpg

I feel this is a good start I will get it current here soon!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now back to your original programming: When i put the weber on i notice that the head gasket was leaking a little at the timing cover. When i had a chance or should i say the money. I replaced the head gasket and all the timing cover gaskets. When i pulled the head off I saw that the motor was bored 0.75 over. then i was able to get the timing right which it was off a tooth. Since doing the hg i havent had to do to much to it. I had a electrical problem after i put the 50 amp alt in. also when i put the bigger alt in i put my stereo in. Here is after the weber install and new wires, plugs, cap, and rotor0106111403.jpg This is how it was with the 14s with studded tires0108111322.jpg Then of course the 50amp alt and deck install, while i put the deck in i replaced the gauge bezel with an unpainted and uncracked one0104111548.jpg here is how i install the deck i took the original stereo plate and dremeled it out so the new deck would slide in1213101939.jpg1219101523.jpg1219101523a.jpg

From there i have just been driving it not having really to many problems besides some bad gas and cause all kinds of problems. Here last week picked up some 16s for it which changed the ride a lot. It was a good thing i got them when i did one of the back snow tires had a big bubble on it. And with this is brings this current.0120111116.jpg

My plan for the truck as of now is doing the body work on it here in the spring. In the mean time i have been looking for a ka to drop in. the plan was to have the ka in by canby but i dont think i am going to get it done.

Yesterday i went over to Wide14u's place to help him with his truck. While i was there he finally forced me to replace the lower hinge on the passenger door and replaced the side marker bulbs. I do have to say its nice not having to lift the door when i close it. On the way to work today i got the truck up to 90. It is the fastest i have gotten it.

• Like 1