Model Cars (Japan magazine) Datsun 510 photo shoot/drive Saturday, 1/29/11 Torrance, CA

jun

For those who don't know, I write a monthly 2 page article for Model Cars magazine, of Japan. It's a great magazine, almost book-like. A bit pricey but worth every penny..er, yen, if you're into cars and toys!

129329678126616307888_101226-02.jpg

4615984657_9e000c8539.jpg

Anyhow, for my next story, I would like to do a quick drive/photo shoot through the hills of PV.

I'm inviting you and your 510* along, to enjoy a nice Saturday AM drive, be photographed, and possibly appear in the next issue of this magazine.

So tentatively, the meet is as follows:

meet at the Torrance In-N-Out

24445 CRENSHAW BLVD

TORRANCE, CA 90505

**same location where the monthly South Bay meets go down, in front of the Wells Fargo.

9 AM rollout. I'll do a quick announcement at 8:45, so please be there by 8:30 or earlier.

We'll do a quick recap of what will go down and where we're headed. We will make a few stops along the way.

Our photographer will ride with me, but I will also need a volunteer or two to let him ride in your car, so my wagon can also be shot. We'll be doing action shots, still shots, video, etc etc. And yes he takes awesome, fancy pics, no point and shoot cameras here! We will also shoot some cars in HDR.

Our drive will take us through the hills and switchbacks of PV. Here is the route. If you are coming, please familiarize yourself with the directions, in the event we get split up due to red lights, etc. 25 miles of scenic, twisty road goodness. It goes by quickly though, even at the speed limit!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4257061

I was originally going to make this "invitational" to a few select 510's I know, but I'd like to open this up to you local guys. I apologize for the short notice, but I have a looming deadline and thought this would be fun way to meet up, have a fun drive, chat a little and put my photog friend to good work!

And a few pointers:

This should only take 2-3 hours max. We'll wrap up by lunchtime.

I can't guarantee your car will appear in the magazine, or get photo'd.

No compensation- this is all on your dime, in your dime :D

*regarding 510's- the preference is 510s, but your Sunny, Z, 620, and other classic Datsuns are welcome.

And please, please, please. No speeding, reckless driving, burnouts, showin' off, attitudes. We will follow all posted speed limits. There are many cyclists and runners in the PV area on a Saturday AM. Share the road, do not do anything to compromise the safety of anyone. We will be driving through some residential areas so if your car is super loud, please keep the rev's down...And you will also be on camera, so be on your best behavior! I would like to think we are a classy group of Datsun fans. There is usually a group of other cars running out there- I see Minis, Alfas, Cobras and such while riding out there in the mornings, so we should fit right in :lol:

More details as they get ironed out. If you can make it, please post up!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's too bad Lawrence, you were one of the guys I was thinking about calling out! :cool:

Actually I'm checking with the photog to see if he can do it on the 29th, because a few of my other friends can't make it either. I realize it's very short notice, even for me :lol: so I'll keep you guys posted. Does 29th work for you?

Goki I appreciate it. Whether we have 2 or 20 cars out, it doesn't matter- but if you want to bring your friends along to play, that's all good!

date changed to Saturday, January 29, 2011! Datrod bring that lil red wagon out!

The route for now. 25 miles of scenic, twisty road goodness :D

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4241235

If you look at point 15, you'll see a series of switchbacks. These are banked turns, fun stuff! I'm thinking we can hit these up a few times, going up then back down (safely). We'll let the photog out on the side of the road so he can snap pics as we're passing by.

This route is actually part of my Sunday AM bike ride. So I'll be there the morning after pedaling my ass off!

The drive ends at the same spot, the In-N-Out in Torrance. We can lunch there afterwards.

date changed to Saturday, January 29, 2011! Datrod bring that lil red wagon out!

The route for now. 25 miles of scenic, twisty road goodness :D

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4241235

If you look at point 15, you'll see a series of switchbacks. These are banked turns, fun stuff! I'm thinking we can hit these up a few times, going up then back down (safely). We'll let the photog out on the side of the road so he can snap pics as we're passing by.

This route is actually part of my Sunday AM bike ride. So I'll be there the morning after pedaling my ass off!

The drive ends at the same spot, the In-N-Out in Torrance. We can lunch there afterwards.

I'll be there with bells on. So now Josh & Lawerence will be able to make it. :)

That's a great drive. I did that route quite often when I was dating my wife. She lived in P.V. And I was down in the LBC. fun times on my old KZ-1000 That was like 30 plus years back. Shit I'm old.

Jun,

Since you and Datrod are rolling in NICE goons, how about I roll in my 280Z 2+2 instead? ...or would you prefer the GOON more? Let me know!

-goki

Roll in whatever you'd like, but I'd rather see another 510 out there, if you ask me!

as a fellow 510 GOON....I'm interested! Sounds fun even if my not so pretty goon doesn't get photo'd. :)

will let you know if i can make it for sure or not.

-goki

ps

I can get other 510s to roll with me if you like.

...on a side note. Goki, Where can I get those stickers. Those are the shit.

Thanks for the great responses so far! I'd like to start a head count of those confirmed for the meet, so we can plan the flow as best as possible.

Jun

Adam

Datrod

72Dyme

Duncan

BRE510

Hang 510

Goki

Lovely_Crucial71

I've also secured our "photo" car. Roman, our photographer, will be hanging out of the passenger side of a yellow S2000. Having the top down will make shooting our cars a bit easier!