fixing up the old 720 4x4

steve g

Added a 3" body lift last weekend, showing a bit of frame now so it has an appointment with a metalfab shop to get some nerf style side bars, also the 31 inch tires and wheels are getting ditched for 33s this week and hopefully some steel wheels (just bought the 31s last month.. of well)100_9052.JPG?width=737&height=552

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the flairs are "were" made by bushwacker back in the days... i got them off of a totalled 720.

I am planning on reproducing them in fiberglass but in different sizes too...

here is a pic of a 720 i made flairs for about 7 years ago.22.jpg?width=258&height=258Fuzzy pic... best i could do

Mike on another note... can i get away with running 33s and still be safe how about 10" wide wheels. yes no? would you? I drive 75mph alot ... i remember blowing wheel bearings and balljoints on my chevy 4x4 straight axle.... and wheel bearings on my 80 toyota too... they had 33s on 10" wheels... i know the 720 front suspension and steering isnt even half as strong as those axles... am i taking a safty risk?

You have a suspension lift too? Sure looks like they will fit.

10 inch rims dunnow.

Yes it has a 3" A/C suspension lift thats tweaked and modified to give me 4"... i know i can clear 33s easy (i test fitted my buddies 35s and they cleared with slight rubbing on turns) But i am just wondering about suspension and steering strain... will something break?

Added a 3" body lift last weekend, showing a bit of frame now so it has an appointment with a metalfab shop to get some nerf style side bars, also the 31 inch tires and wheels are getting ditched for 33s this week and hopefully some steel wheels (just bought the 31s last month.. of well)100_9052.JPG?width=737&height=552

Looks good....definitely needs larger tires now though.

Gonna start needing a tail wind to get to speed with 35s....?.... :)

My nerfs.

P1090035.jpg

2eDeYe' date='22 January 2011 - 11:34 AM' timestamp='1295724845' post='414863']

Are there lower aftermarket gears available for the H190? Some 5:13's would probably do wonders for the tire size increase.

Its an 84, so it has the small spline c-200 rear, there is gears but very expensive ($600+) And my r-180 in the front is a subaru lsd and the aftermarket lower gears for that are outrageous too.

Im considering running a toyota rear diff to help keep costs under control, not sure what to do about the front diff yet

Late '90s Hardbodys had C-200/R-180 4.625 rears. About $600 new for just the gears. Wrecking yard maybe? Also some had 10mm bolts and newer were 12mm.

True mike... but i tried this once.... the HB rear is wider and the internals wont swap because of spline issues, unless i want axles made.... Good point on the r180... but 4.62 will be enough? i have 4.10 now and was told my 4.36s wont help at all

2eDeYe' date='22 January 2011 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1295731765' post='414905']

When/if I build a 620 4x4 it will have Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44's front and rear. Cheap and plentiful with lots of aftermarket support.

toyota axles fit perfect and dirt cheap to beef up

toyota axles fit perfect and dirt cheap to beef up

Yep same width as the Wagoneer axles. You can get an entire waggy for a couple hundred $. You can get drivers drop or passenger drop opening up you transfer case options also. Just my plan. :)

I love it... Thats basically what I want on mine. I have an 82 4x4 with an AC 3" body lift and am getting the 2-3" AC suspension soon.

Where did you get those fenders flares!!! I've been wanting some like that!!!!! No one has them, and I cant find them anywhere!!!

Those nerf bars are basically what I want too.

Oh, and have you had any problems with the 33s? I want to put 33x10.5s on mine after the suspension lift, just seein if you had any problems or recommendations.

I love it... Thats basically what I want on mine. I have an 82 4x4 with an AC 3" body lift and am getting the 2-3" AC suspension soon.

Where did you get those fenders flares!!! I've been wanting some like that!!!!! No one has them, and I cant find them anywhere!!!

Those nerf bars are basically what I want too.

Oh, and have you had any problems with the 33s? I want to put 33x10.5s on mine after the suspension lift, just seein if you had any problems or recommendations.

33s so far are fine.... you will want to go with lower gears though... i have 4.10s and its not too good on steep hills. I run a genuine Nissan clutch kit and they last alot longer than aftermarket stuff... consider running one....

As for the flairs they were made by bushwacker back in the days... I will be making a fiberglass version for my truck and i will make more if there is demand.

<br>33s so far are fine.... you will want to go with lower gears though... i have 4.10s and its not too good on steep hills. I run a genuine Nissan clutch kit and they last alot longer than aftermarket stuff... consider running one....<br> As for the flairs they were made by bushwacker back in the days... I will be making a fiberglass version for my truck and i will make more if there is demand.<br>
<br><br>I have the H190 rearend... which is 4.11s i think? And if it is, what do you recommend doing to fix the problem? I know gear kits for the H190 for the 720 are like $650 from A/C and those are 4.625's<br>I do have a new genuine nissan clutch in it, (I just had a brand new Z22 put in it with weber 32/36 carb, and replaced the clutch)<br>If you are making fender flares, what design did you have in mind? ( you mentioned a different size or something) Otherwise, I found those bushwhacker flares just like yours (after like a year... FINALLY!!) for around $250.<br><br>And another question... Are you on the 4x4parts.com discussion board?