DD/Track KA Powered 4 Door 510

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

please for the love of god tell me all the electrical tape over the wires is just so you could test the harness set up, and that you're actually going to solder or use proper connectors.

Of course...:D We bought it with the engine rebuilt, so I wanted to make sure it ran before going on to the next stage... It states in the post it is temporary! When done, it will be one of the cleanest wiring harness splice you will see.

Any positive comments on the car or video???:unsure:

Is that header you guys took off gonna be for sale. How bad was it hitting under the floor board. This car is gonna be amazing when its done. Jus keep on taking those pics and videos.

The header fit pretty good and will def perform better than the 4-1 we got on it now, but it will need to be cut and relocated a bit to clear floor board and exit out more towards trans. It is an equal length tube, 4-2-1 header. The 02 has been relocated also. Yes, it will be for sale. It was hitting floor board pretty solid. That would be an easy fix, but it needs to be relocated over to trans more to clear... Easy fix, but we have so much work already, we decided to go with an easy bolt on header.

yeah man love the build! sorry, wiring is a huge pet peeve of mine hahaha nothing personal.

not sure if that cage is gonna pass safety tech. I don't know if the allow you to cut and reweld the bars like that.

The cage will be good enough for street/auto cross. No, it will not pass any tech inspections that "require" a roll cage.

More pics soon! Getting ready to slot rear cross member and rebuild, and re-install rear suspension.

New Poly Cross Member Bushings, New OEM Control Arm Bushings, New U-Joints for Axles...:D

Will figure out what springs we will get after we get some other work done on it. Going with KYB GR2 shocks in the rear to match the front inserts.

Anyone have a good fluid you rec for a LSD Subaru Diff???

• 1 month later...

Wow! That's just like mine...is going to be.

First 4-door I've seen being built in a long time. I'm going KA24, as I can find one for a few hundred nearby (tranny and all). Not even started on mine, though. It waits patiently for me in the garage. Same color too. Some kind of tannish-yellow, or whitish tan or something. I'll be really interested in what class you auto-x it in. I think if I can keep close to the rules, I can run in DSP with that KA. 510's are FSP with L-series, but since the 240SX is a DSP car, you have to run there.

Anyways, this post is permanently in my bookmark list. Good luck!

My dime, as it sits, and has sat since being pulled from a swamp in Texas and stripped of the mess:

5655806437_4ce1840409_m.jpg

P6051929 by kman510, on Flickr

On the way home 7 LONG YEARS AGO!

5655811389_3732f03298_m.jpg

P6260054 by kman510, on Flickr

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

^ Sounds like a nice project hehe sorry I didn't see your post until now for some reason...

Been busy this last week gettin stuff done. FINALLY got the rear crossmember slotted... now we can adjust the control arms for camber and toe adjustments ;D The whole rear end is now in the car with some cut stock springs and crappy shocks. I need to order some new rear springs and shocks, but those will take 2 minutes to install. Filled up the brand new Subaru 3.70 LSD with Lucas Oil Synthetic 75/90. Spray painted everything... it'll get dirty pretty quick anyway so we didn't spend too much time on that :P The drums are sprayed with high temp paint but I don't know how long those are going to stay. As soon as I can find some finned rear drums those are going on.

All new bushings all around... polyurethane crossmember bushings, stock OEM rubber-type bushings for the control arms, and the differential is mounted solid. Gonna be a pretty stiff ride but it'll be worth it :)

The axles have also been rebuilt with new U-Joints... just waiting on my local auto parts store to get 1 more in stock.

The engine is coming out next, and the engine bay + interior will be seam welded. We're in the process of getting the rollcage in, and the driveshaft is getting rebuilt + shortened real soon. Progress! The car should be on the road pretty soon here... I'm getting excited :D

under-1.jpg

rear6.jpg

rear4.jpg

rear3-1.jpg

slotted5.jpg

slotted4.jpg

slotted3.jpg

slotted2.jpg

slotted.jpg

rear7.jpg

polybushings.jpg

crossmemberexhaust.jpg

drums2.jpg

drums.jpg

axles.jpg

• Like 1

Got the car off jackstands and on the ground :) We took the front struts out and checked those out...... springs are brand new 8" 275 lb Eibach springs. Unfortunately whoever did these struts (shortened 280ZX struts) cut them too short, so we need longer springs. There is literally no ride height adjustment, the collars are all the way up and the springs are barely compressed. We just need about half an inch higher ride height up front and we'll feel safe about the oil pan.

Front shock inserts are brand new KYB GR2s. I just need to order some of those for the rear. When I do that I'm going to order new springs as well... 10" 275 lbs up front and 8" 1050 lb in the rear. The current rear springs are 8".. cut stock springs as far as I know.. way too soft. Rear ride height is right where I want it.

stance.jpg

stance2.jpg

stance3.jpg

Sweet! Looks great! Slotting the cross member set those rear wheels nearly in the right place, there will def be enough adjustment for rear alignment now...

Not sure if the struts are too short or not, but the springs are def too short! Collar tightens up 3/4 before it even contacts spring...

I guess next, we start seam welding it up after we get some gas for the welder... Also the roll bar can start being fitted...:D

• 5 months later...

Some updates....

Springs..... 225 lb up front, 900 lbs in rear (comes out to about 225 lbs due to spring location on control arm)

rearsprings.jpg

frontsprings.jpg

Automatic 510 Speedometer cable...

speedometercable.jpg

200SX Vehicle Speed Sensor...

speedsensor.jpg

Radiator mount took quite some time... it is a MASSIVE radiator with a shroud and two electric fans. Had to do a fair amount of cutting and whatnot. Got it fitting perfectly though :) Won't be having cooling issues with this beast that's for sure...

radiator.jpg

Whole front end back together... for a while it looked very incomplete :( Looks like a Datsun now!

frontend.jpg

Picked up an air dam at a swap meet...... unfortunately we put the valence on before we got the air dam mounted, so we'll get it on whenever we take the valence back off.

airdam.jpg

Did some seam welding inside...

seamwelds.jpg

battery.jpg

exhaust.jpg

We originally had the exhaust running through the crossmember but it was rattling pretty bad. Turns out the exhaust hole in the crossmember hadn't been enlarged like we were told unsure.gif Oh well. Ran it underneath the crossmember... no more rattling. It doesn't look as good, but it is nowhere near scraping over speed bumps so it's all good.

sticker.jpg

night.jpg

Car has been on the road almost a week now... workin out a few bugs/issues. Runs great though, hasn't left us stranded yet, and handles better than a gokart laugh.gif Engine isn't making as much power as it should.... it is most likely timing. I also got a GoPro... so we should be getting some cool videos up soon :)

Hey. Sweet build.

You should totally take some up close and personal picturse of how you have that engine mounted. I have the same radiator set up you do, and I can not for the life of me get it in there with the shroud. It's a tight fit even with just the fans.. I'm dying to know how you managed!

So to get this radiator mounted we had to notch the top, then cut out the middle part to get more airflow to the rad.... after that it's just a matter of bending and massaging the metal out for clearance. The headlights and everything still fit as long as you don't go too far.

Pics were taken with the new GoPro cool.gif

GOPR0236.jpg

GOPR0237.jpg

GOPR0235.jpg

GOPR0232.jpg

GOPR0231.jpg

GOPR0233.jpg

GOPR0234.jpg

GOPR0238.jpg

GOPR0242.jpg

And some more pics...

GOPR0247.jpg

GOPR0248.jpg

GOPR0249.jpg

GOPR0250.jpg

GOPR0253.jpg

GOPR0254.jpg

GOPR0255.jpg

GOPR0256.jpg

GOPR0257.jpg

GOPR0258.jpg

GOPR0259.jpg

GOPR0260.jpg

GOPR0261.jpg

GOPR0262.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a pic of my new sticker :D I also got new front swaybar end link bushings. Previous owner installed polyurethane bushings and didn't grease them, which explains all the noise and stiffness up front. After removing the end links we could barely twist the swaybar up and down, it took a good 50 lbs of force to do that. Greased the bushings and installed the normal rubber bushings on the endlinks... night and day difference!

I also went for a quick drive around the block with the swaybar disconnected. Very grippy but too much body roll and not responsive enough for me... springs are too soft to get rid of the swaybar.

O yea AutoX tomorrow! Will definitely post pics and vids of that!

ratsun.jpg