My "New" 1978 Datsun 620. EDIT: New Pics (A lot of pics, so just give it a few)

DonPelon87

I would like to start with a formal hello to the Ratsun Community. I have been a long time lurker, but the is my first post.

As the title states, I have here a 1978 Datsun Pickup, and I believe its the 620 model. The truck was owned by an old man that had it stored away for like 10-15 years. When my dad bought it off him a couple years back, the odometer read something like 20,000 miles, which I am pretty sure they are all original (the odometer has not rolled over). Anyway, the reason why I say "My new" truck is because my dad just gave it to me as a graduation gift from college due to me always telling him to never sell it, and if he did, that I would buy it from him. So I guess it was easier for him to just give me the truck knowing that it was going to stay in the family forever.

Anyway, I would like some general feedback from the Ratsun community. You guys have always amazed me at the knowledge and friendliness that makes Ratsun what it is. So, anything that anyone would like to say is encouraged, whether good or bad.

Thanks.

Background info on the truck:

Engine:L20b

Automatic (I really wish it was stickshift though, I am thinking about doing a swap?)

A/C

Exterior Color: Light Beige?

Inerior: Floor is blue and the seat is brown is two tone

Cm9RX.jpg

I will post up more pics later on, I am just waiting for the sun to get lower and allow for good shots. Any pic request, let me know.

Again,

Thanks fellas.

Edit: It is a 620, as Zeusimo pointed out the correction, I will probably move the thread to the 620 to avoid any conflict. Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

leave it just the way it is maybe lower it a little and just have fun with it

you know I love the way it is, but I would love to change those big mirrors. I have seen so many other Datsun trucks on this forum that have some really nice original mirrors that I would like to get my hands on. They look somthing like this. SGrUy.jpg

nice longbed 620, you can tell its a longbed by the 5 hooks on each side, a shortbed has 4, but looks solid, take some interior and engine pics man, and welcome :cool:

Thanks, I will definatly go and take some interior pics real soon. I will try to post them in like 10 mins.

Nice 620! I have the mirrors you want on my truck, I like 'em a lot, thinking about moving them to the fenders:P You can probably find a set on here, just post it under the parts wanted forum. Yes, you should lower it about... 4 inches, blocks in back torsions in front is the easiest. And you should really keep the wheels, they're pretty awesome!

Way cool truck! Focus! on just restoring the way the motor runs back to Datsun specs! There's a downloadable pdf shop manual online that is so helpful! I bought a 79 620 a while back and love it. Have fun!

I would like to start with a formal hello to the Ratsun Community. I have been a long time lurker, but the is my first post.

As the title states, I have here a 1978 Datsun Pickup, and I believe its the 620 model. The truck was owned by an old man that had it stored away for like 10-15 years. When my dad bought it off him a couple years back, the odometer read something like 20,000 miles, which I am pretty sure they are all original (the odometer has not rolled over). Anyway, the reason why I say "My new" truck is because my dad just gave it to me as a graduation gift from college due to me always telling him to never sell it, and if he did, that I would buy it from him. So I guess it was easier for him to just give me the truck knowing that it was going to stay in the family forever.

Anyway, I would like some general feedback from the Ratsun community. You guys have always amazed me at the knowledge and friendliness that makes Ratsun what it is. So, anything that anyone would like to say is encouraged, whether good or bad.

Thanks.

Background info on the truck:

Engine:L20b

Automatic (I really wish it was stickshift though, I am thinking about doing a swap?)

A/C

Exterior Color: Light Beige?

Inerior: Floor is blue and the seat is brown is two tone

Cm9RX.jpg

I will post up more pics later on, I am just waiting for the sun to get lower and allow for good shots. Any pic request, let me know.

Again,

Thanks fellas.

Edit: It is a 620, as Zeusimo pointed out the correction, I will probably move the thread to the 620 to avoid any conflict. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ratsun,

Thank you all the for the feedback on the truck. You guys brought the laziness out of me, and so I found myself touching up a few things on the Datsun. I would really like some feedback, good or bad is always welcome.

So I included some before and after pics of the engine bay, as well as some pictures of the interior as some of you had requested.

Here are the engine bay before:

ohjdX.jpg

yKrKc.jpg

CFK09.jpg

The engine bay after:

tWxUn.jpg

UXIGK.jpg

puLcf.jpg

wYEAC.jpg

Javqp.jpg

The Front of the Grill:

nYzcP.jpg

4o0xk.jpg

Some More of the Truck:

PpeLE.jpg

7GxTX.jpg

Interior:

u2ShY.jpg

xAvO2.jpg

Qp2vV.jpg

2kNKv.jpg

I also just bought some mirrors off an Old Skool Benz, that resemble the original Datsun one's, however, I do not know the correct placement of them on the door, so If anyone wants to provide a reference picture of theirs, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you, I hope you are all enjoying this weekend, the weather here in California is just beautiful.

Regards,

DonPelon

• 4 years later...

Just wanted to say thanks for the updates, was very helpful. My truck is ealier but it's great to see original setups for comparison, at least for this newbie.

I'm trying to hunt down a pair of original chrome mirrors like the ones you mentioned so it was very helpful to see those as there's surprisly not a lot of detail photos of them.

If you have different mirror, they may not line up the same as the ones in the picture.  I would just roll down the window and hold the mirror in place with your hand to find a good spot, then mark it and install it.  You're somewhat at the mercy of the body shape to find a nice spot.

What he said......

If you have different mirror, they may not line up the same as the ones in the picture.  I would just roll down the window and hold the mirror in place with your hand to find a good spot, then mark it and install it.  You're somewhat at the mercy of the body shape to find a nice spot.

The best spot is what works for you and the body...