Photo

My "New" 1978 Datsun 620. EDIT: New Pics (A lot of pics, so just give it a few)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DonPelon87

DonPelon87

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cars:1978 Datsun 620 Pick-up

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

I would like to start with a formal hello to the Ratsun Community. I have been a long time lurker, but the is my first post.

As the title states, I have here a 1978 Datsun Pickup, and I believe its the 620 model. The truck was owned by an old man that had it stored away for like 10-15 years. When my dad bought it off him a couple years back, the odometer read something like 20,000 miles, which I am pretty sure they are all original (the odometer has not rolled over). Anyway, the reason why I say "My new" truck is because my dad just gave it to me as a graduation gift from college due to me always telling him to never sell it, and if he did, that I would buy it from him. So I guess it was easier for him to just give me the truck knowing that it was going to stay in the family forever.

Anyway, I would like some general feedback from the Ratsun community. You guys have always amazed me at the knowledge and friendliness that makes Ratsun what it is. So, anything that anyone would like to say is encouraged, whether good or bad.

Thanks.

Background info on the truck:

Engine:L20b
Automatic (I really wish it was stickshift though, I am thinking about doing a swap?)
A/C
Exterior Color: Light Beige?
Inerior: Floor is blue and the seat is brown is two tone

Posted Image

I will post up more pics later on, I am just waiting for the sun to get lower and allow for good shots. Any pic request, let me know.

Again,

Thanks fellas.

Edit: It is a 620, as Zeusimo pointed out the correction, I will probably move the thread to the 620 to avoid any conflict. Thanks

#2 dat77sun

dat77sun

newb status

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cars:1982 720 4x4

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

nice longbed 620, you can tell its a longbed by the 5 hooks on each side, a shortbed has 4, but looks solid, take some interior and engine pics man, and welcome :cool:

my current 1982 720 4x4 build

http://community.rat...ld/#entry994991

my old 1984 720 4x4 build (R.I.P.)

http://community.rat...-720-4x4-build/

my old 1977 620 kc build
http://community.rat...7-620-kc-build/

the story of my 84 720 by SICK620

Tyson felt the frosty wind flow through his grill and opened his headlights. He knew that according to the snow under his michelins, he had hit Colorado  Another trip, and once again towed behind big Bertha's smelly backside. Every backfire allowed Tyson to smell Bertha's cheap oil changes and rancid maverick gasoline. He knew there had been talk about him leaving, but he didn't know why. He had always been reliable, and to him it seemed they hadn't even really ran him. They had just hitched him up and there he stayed. A prisoner of the open road, how is that even possible Tyson thought. He had seen so much of the road yet so little. His tires were worn and he was old now, but he was still as fit as the Hardbodys and Tacomas. His brakes were still new, and so was his heart. The day came, and Tyson's title was signed over on his hood. Tyson wasn't sure what to think when the new man entered his cabin. All he knew was that the warm buns on his seat made him tingle, and when the man slowly inserted the key chills went up his drive shaft. Tyson exited the driveway and he knew what he had to do, He chirped his tires a little kicking rocks and debris on big Bertha's fat ass as he left under his own power..... The world now his to explore, Tyson loves to ride. He has seen the highway for far too many miles, and always would rather take a back road or trail. He wants to die being ran hard on country roads and mountain curves; and he never wants to see the backside of a Winnebago again! 

#3 Wide14u

Wide14u

HAMHAWK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • Cars:76 620

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

leave it just the way it is maybe lower it a little and just have fun with it
Posted ImageWide14u, on , said:

i like the short bus and i can't do a long post :rofl:

#4 DonPelon87

DonPelon87

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

leave it just the way it is maybe lower it a little and just have fun with it

you know I love the way it is, but I would love to change those big mirrors. I have seen so many other Datsun trucks on this forum that have some really nice original mirrors that I would like to get my hands on. They look somthing like this. Posted Image

#5 DonPelon87

DonPelon87

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

nice longbed 620, you can tell its a longbed by the 5 hooks on each side, a shortbed has 4, but looks solid, take some interior and engine pics man, and welcome :cool:

Thanks, I will definatly go and take some interior pics real soon. I will try to post them in like 10 mins.

#6 Wide14u

Wide14u

HAMHAWK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • Cars:76 620

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

once you start you can never stop it takes over you trust me
Posted ImageWide14u, on , said:

i like the short bus and i can't do a long post :rofl:

#7 Zeusimo

Zeusimo

Shift Challenged

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • Cars:1973 Datsun PL610W 1978 Datsun HLG620

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

I Have Those Mirrors, And Trust Me They Look Good :cool:
Posted Image
I'm Just Stupid 18yo Kid,
WITH A DATSUN!!!

#8 yello620

yello620

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Cars:76 FJ40, 68 Chev swb, 94 BMW 530IT

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

I would be interested in some under hood shots that are aimed at the A/C components. :rolleyes:
76 620, VG30, 5spd, D21 V-6 front disc brakes, 3.90 rear gears:D.

Jason

Link to my yello620
http://community.rat...page__hl__yello

#9 dedrick

dedrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Cars:76 Datsun 620, 64 Jeep CJ5

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:00 AM

Welcome to my long-bed brother!

Nice looking truck you have there
~slowly becoming Homer Simpson

#10 bbqbill

bbqbill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Cars:64 chevy wagon,76 datsun longbed,2000 s10 extrem

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:19 AM

nice truck,my dad sold me my first 620 out of high school ,never lost the love.i had your mirrors on mine,and wanted to change them also,to big.Posted Image welcome!

#11 justin 620

justin 620

• PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Cars:'79 Datsun 620 K.C. '87 VW Scirocco 16v '80 Datsun 720 K.C.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

Nice 620! I have the mirrors you want on my truck, I like 'em a lot, thinking about moving them to the fenders:P You can probably find a set on here, just post it under the parts wanted forum. Yes, you should lower it about... 4 inches, blocks in back torsions in front is the easiest. And you should really keep the wheels, they're pretty awesome!

"Does your car ever go the speed limit?"

"... School zones"

#12 derrats

derrats

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Way cool truck! Focus! on just restoring the way the motor runs back to Datsun specs! There's a downloadable pdf shop manual online that is so helpful! I bought a 79 620 a while back and love it. Have fun!

I would like to start with a formal hello to the Ratsun Community. I have been a long time lurker, but the is my first post.

As the title states, I have here a 1978 Datsun Pickup, and I believe its the 620 model. The truck was owned by an old man that had it stored away for like 10-15 years. When my dad bought it off him a couple years back, the odometer read something like 20,000 miles, which I am pretty sure they are all original (the odometer has not rolled over). Anyway, the reason why I say "My new" truck is because my dad just gave it to me as a graduation gift from college due to me always telling him to never sell it, and if he did, that I would buy it from him. So I guess it was easier for him to just give me the truck knowing that it was going to stay in the family forever.

Anyway, I would like some general feedback from the Ratsun community. You guys have always amazed me at the knowledge and friendliness that makes Ratsun what it is. So, anything that anyone would like to say is encouraged, whether good or bad.

Thanks.

Background info on the truck:

Engine:L20b
Automatic (I really wish it was stickshift though, I am thinking about doing a swap?)
A/C
Exterior Color: Light Beige?
Inerior: Floor is blue and the seat is brown is two tone

Posted Image

I will post up more pics later on, I am just waiting for the sun to get lower and allow for good shots. Any pic request, let me know.

Again,

Thanks fellas.

Edit: It is a 620, as Zeusimo pointed out the correction, I will probably move the thread to the 620 to avoid any conflict. Thanks

#13 DonPelon87

DonPelon87

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:10 PM

Hey Ratsun,

Thank you all the for the feedback on the truck. You guys brought the laziness out of me, and so I found myself touching up a few things on the Datsun. I would really like some feedback, good or bad is always welcome.

So I included some before and after pics of the engine bay, as well as some pictures of the interior as some of you had requested.

Here are the engine bay before:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The engine bay after:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Front of the Grill:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Some More of the Truck:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Interior:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also just bought some mirrors off an Old Skool Benz, that resemble the original Datsun one's, however, I do not know the correct placement of them on the door, so If anyone wants to provide a reference picture of theirs, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you, I hope you are all enjoying this weekend, the weather here in California is just beautiful.

Regards,

DonPelon