• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not own a 1911 of any style, which I really should change at some point.

However, I do own this in 45 ACP and damn does it shoot beautifully, custom Cerakote job and my bedside gun (well, one of them).

image.jpeg.d1dc50ed3d95968736d2d69f22e47c89.jpeg

His and Hers S&Ws, although the wife doesn't shoot it very much (she tends to prefer the 10/22 more than anything).

image.thumb.jpeg.3615724a8ff8a21e69ea0b8143d78a26.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4
On 3/26/2024 at 8:00 PM, frankendat said:

I didn't know WW2 1911's were coming back in fashion to where "remakes" are available. 

There are a TON of them. Pretty much everything 1911 comes one of three ways, either proper WW2-spec, fully kitted out Kimber style, or the "2011" double stack competition style. Mine was actually WW2-spec, but obviously I am slowly moving more toward the more "Kimber" style. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Sorry if I missed where you said it, but who makes this? 

EDIT: Google seems to say HERA. Is that correct? 

HERA for the win. Image search is getting scary

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, frankendat said:

HERA for the win. Image search is getting scary

That wasn't AI, it was me.  😋

I just searched "1911 carbine" and scrolled down a few until I saw one like yours. 👍

It is quite badass, I must say. 🔥

On 3/28/2024 at 6:58 PM, Dguy210 said:

I do not own a 1911 of any style, which I really should change at some point.

However, I do own this in 45 ACP and damn does it shoot beautifully, custom Cerakote job and my bedside gun (well, one of them).

image.jpeg.d1dc50ed3d95968736d2d69f22e47c89.jpeg

His and Hers S&Ws, although the wife doesn't shoot it very much (she tends to prefer the 10/22 more than anything).

image.thumb.jpeg.3615724a8ff8a21e69ea0b8143d78a26.jpeg

S&W has to pay glock $1 for every SD9 they sell

• Like 1
On 3/29/2024 at 1:50 PM, datsunfreak said:

That wasn't AI, it was me.  😋

I just searched "1911 carbine" and scrolled down a few until I saw one like yours. 👍

It is quite badass, I must say. 🔥

I am glad the humans are still beating AI (sometimes) Unlike most (if not all) other pistol caliber carbines, the 1911 carbine fires from a locked breech rather than a true blowback. What this means is your casings will not get stretched and will still be (or remain longer) suitable to reload. There are other benefits of firing from a locked breech, that I believe to be true, but there is some debate, so I will not include them here.

The other benefits I have stated in previous posts. For some reason, 1911 shooters did not go for the carbine and the HERA is no longer produced. I thought it should have been the "modern cowboy" many Western cowboys carried a .45 LC single action and a .45 LC lever action. The 1911 .45 ACP/semi-auto combo looked like a winner. For those not wanting a drop in performance the 1911 .460 Rowland/semi-auto combo will meet or exceed the .45 LC depending on load  

Edited by frankendat
  • Like 1

I can’t say that I’ve ever seen the 1911 carbine.  That’s quiet the setup, I bet it’s a heck of a good time at the range.  As far as Pistol Caliber Carbines (PCCs) I’ve shot a bunch of them.  One that was everything I’d hoped it would be was an Israeli Uzi in the carbine configuration.  It’s much easier to control those short, crazy bursts.  If I won the lottery I’d buy one.  Others that I liked were the HK MP5 9mm, Kris’s Vector .45, Sig MCX 9mm, and the CZ Scorpion Evo.  Personal preference is the CZ.  They’re relatively affordable and well made.  To plink with, I think I’d see if Palmetto State has one that’s based on the AR platform that accepts Glock magazines.  I’m adding a pic of the Scorpion in its full sized 9mm version.  It’s from American Rifle Magazine and isn’t mine.

The Governor was a gift, I’m actually not sure what the MSRP is, I just had to do the WA State commie paperwork.  It’s fun to shoot, but I’m not keen on carrying it as a daily.

Competition shooting is a whole different level.  There’s a lot of people doing it as their full-time job.  I’ve shot at a couple Saturday matches and I did well enough but I didn’t have a good time.  I’d much rather just take my steel out in the wilderness and shoot in a small, well disciplined group of people I know.  I will admit though, I’d like to shoot Cowboy Action Shooting once.  

IMG_3685.jpeg

• Like 2
On 3/30/2024 at 1:33 PM, frankendat said:

For some reason, 1911 shooters did not go for the carbine and the HERA is no longer produced. 

I see that, and I am quite bummed.

As a diehard 1911 fanboy myself, I did not even know such a thing existed, so maybe they didn't either. 😄

The search continues...

Does to legality issues with some PCCs, I am leaning to either an entry level PSA AR15, or a slightly upmarket "AR22" (something like an H&K MP5). A rifle in .22LR will be more fun to shoot, and I mostly want to use it more for goofing around at the range than actual "home defense".

Although, I suppose it would still have the "intimidation factor" for home defense. And while .22LR may not be very "lethal", 25 rounds of it center mass would probably get the job done..   😉

• Like 1
6 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

As a diehard 1911 fanboy myself, I did not even know such a thing existed, so maybe they didn't either. 😄

The search continues...

Does to legality issues with some PCCs, I am leaning to either an entry level PSA AR15, or a slightly upmarket "AR22" (something like an H&K MP5). A rifle in .22LR will be more fun to shoot, and I mostly want to use it more for goofing around at the range than actual "home defense".

Although, I suppose it would still have the "intimidation factor" for home defense. And while .22LR may not be very "lethal", 25 rounds of it center mass would probably get the job done..   😉

I couldn't get my father to build what I called the "ultimate 3 in 1" so I settled for a (2 in 1) 16 inch barrels are available for the 1911 in .45 ACP .460 Rowland and .22 LR. With a slide and barrel/magazine swap you can change caliber. The problem-we spent much time in my youth and revisited it a half a dozen or so years back, the ACE .22 LR 1911 conversion is a picky bitch and will not consistently/reliably perform. With much tinkering, specific ammo, and cleaning every few mags, it will work acceptably for the range, but too much hassle anywhere else. I think we are not the only ones who discovered this problem, because I do not and have not seen many (if any) .22 LR "conversions" offered for the 1911 and no one offered or produced a 16 inch barrel. There are plenty of 1911 "style" .22 LR, but again, no 16 inch barrel. 

7 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

The search continues...

It is only bad luck that make the .22 LR a bad self defense round. The .22 LR in a short barrel handgun would have awful defense performance and still will be a good defense round - with a little luck. (a short barrel handgun, will increase flash and the sound when fired)

Take the chance of an encounter with an assailant

decrease that number by the number attacks that continue after encountering resistance

further decrease that number by attacks that continue after encountering armed "shots fired" resistance

further decrease that number by attackers persisting after receiving a non fatal wound

You are left with a very small percentage of those who will only be stopped by application of deadly force and it is only in those rare situations, that the stopping power of your choice of home defense becomes vital.

So, are you feeling lucky?

There are some things, which I will not gamble 

11 hours ago, Soundline said:

I can’t say that I’ve ever seen the 1911 carbine.  That’s quiet the setup, I bet it’s a heck of a good time at the range.  As far as Pistol Caliber Carbines (PCCs) I’ve shot a bunch of them.  One that was everything I’d hoped it would be was an Israeli Uzi in the carbine configuration.  It’s much easier to control those short, crazy bursts.  If I won the lottery I’d buy one.  Others that I liked were the HK MP5 9mm, Kris’s Vector .45, Sig MCX 9mm, and the CZ Scorpion Evo.  Personal preference is the CZ.  They’re relatively affordable and well made.  To plink with, I think I’d see if Palmetto State has one that’s based on the AR platform that accepts Glock magazines.  I’m adding a pic of the Scorpion in its full sized 9mm version.  It’s from American Rifle Magazine and isn’t mine.

The Governor was a gift, I’m actually not sure what the MSRP is, I just had to do the WA State commie paperwork.  It’s fun to shoot, but I’m not keen on carrying it as a daily.

Competition shooting is a whole different level.  There’s a lot of people doing it as their full-time job.  I’ve shot at a couple Saturday matches and I did well enough but I didn’t have a good time.  I’d much rather just take my steel out in the wilderness and shoot in a small, well disciplined group of people I know.  I will admit though, I’d like to shoot Cowboy Action Shooting once.  

IMG_3685.jpeg

The HERA is just fun. In a carbine the ACP kick is hardly noticeable, not that the ACP kick is ever a problem (factory loads) but with the HERA quick multiple shots are easy. 

I haven't had the pleasure of officially Cowboy shooting. There are groups in Idaho, but like all things competition, they went too far. I, by nothing but luck, acquired a original  Bohlin Spaghetti Western Hollywood quick draw rig 30 or so years ago. Luck cuts both ways, and I "restored" it because it was all beat up. Cowboy action became a thing, those old original rigs shot up into the thousands, my restored (not "original") not so much. Which is fine, because I like it. If it was worth too much I would have to sell it. Here is similar one both original and much nicer (mine is scuffed and dinged and used)https://www.proxibid.com/lotinformation/81864765/vintage-edw-h-bohlin-inc-hollywood-marked-gun-slinger-quick-draw-rig-made-for-a-4-34-colt-sa

I do not know what it sold for

Anyway, I like playing quick draw, but am a little to concerned about shooting my leg to try and be super fast. Then I see these "Cowboy" shooters, who lean way back in special cowboy boots so the gun barely needs to peak out of the holster to fire and they shoot wax bullets which break apart and if any part hits the "sensor" it is a hit. Effectively this gives the pistol a spread like a shotgun. I quick draw with real bullets against full size people targets and only count hits in the kill zone, otherwise you're just a quick noise maker. I guess some lean if it works for you, but not before the draw. Youtube some cowboy quick comps, they look silly. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, frankendat said:

The HERA is just fun. In a carbine the ACP kick is hardly noticeable, not that the ACP kick is ever a problem (factory loads) but with the HERA quick multiple shots are easy. 

I haven't had the pleasure of officially Cowboy shooting. There are groups in Idaho, but like all things competition, they went too far. I, by nothing but luck, acquired a original  Bohlin Spaghetti Western Hollywood quick draw rig 30 or so years ago. Luck cuts both ways, and I "restored" it because it was all beat up. Cowboy action became a thing, those old original rigs shot up into the thousands, my restored (not "original") not so much. Which is fine, because I like it. If it was worth too much I would have to sell it. Here is similar one both original and much nicer (mine is scuffed and dinged and used)https://www.proxibid.com/lotinformation/81864765/vintage-edw-h-bohlin-inc-hollywood-marked-gun-slinger-quick-draw-rig-made-for-a-4-34-colt-sa

I do not know what it sold for

Anyway, I like playing quick draw, but am a little to concerned about shooting my leg to try and be super fast. Then I see these "Cowboy" shooters, who lean way back in special cowboy boots so the gun barely needs to peak out of the holster to fire and they shoot wax bullets which break apart and if any part hits the "sensor" it is a hit. Effectively this gives the pistol a spread like a shotgun. I quick draw with real bullets against full size people targets and only count hits in the kill zone, otherwise you're just a quick noise maker. I guess some lean if it works for you, but not before the draw. Youtube some cowboy quick comps, they look silly. 

I really like that HERA, thanks for introducing me to a new setup.

I’m only interested in competing in full dress up and talking shit in my cowboy character.  I’m going to lose.  But I’d like to see how fast I can pull my .357 Mag Vaquero firing real .357 mags at a target at competition.  I don’t compete to get trophies.  Here’s the thing, I am an undefeated gunfighter.  I was able to save a life that is very dear to me in one of those fights.  She’s a brilliant nurse now and one of my favorite humans. It’s the only recognition I’ll ever want.  I’m blessed, lucky, and grateful.  

I might have stayed in competition in modern pistol if there were more attractive ladies.  Single.  Over 40.  That’re mouthy.  And fit.  I don’t feel like I’m asking too much.  Lol

IMG_0151.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hanging out with the kiddos today. 

The boys' scout troop is starting their firearm/shotgun safety portion for the year. Brought the daughter along to take part too. 

This week is rules, handling. Next week is more handling, operation as well as cleaning/maintenance. 

On the third week...all the dinguses that actually paid attention and passed the quiz gets to go out for a night of freedom. Scout troop has a range rented for the night. Should be fun. 

PXL_20240403_025808189.jpg

Edited by flatcat19
  • Like 7
On 4/1/2024 at 5:11 PM, Soundline said:

I really like that HERA, thanks for introducing me to a new setup.

I’m only interested in competing in full dress up and talking shit in my cowboy character.  I’m going to lose.  But I’d like to see how fast I can pull my .357 Mag Vaquero firing real .357 mags at a target at competition.  I don’t compete to get trophies.  Here’s the thing, I am an undefeated gunfighter.  I was able to save a life that is very dear to me in one of those fights.  She’s a brilliant nurse now and one of my favorite humans. It’s the only recognition I’ll ever want.  I’m blessed, lucky, and grateful.  

I might have stayed in competition in modern pistol if there were more attractive ladies.  Single.  Over 40.  That’re mouthy.  And fit.  I don’t feel like I’m asking too much.  Lol

IMG_0151.jpeg

Your Ruger is FINE! The good news is I assume you can shoot .38's and keep range cost down. The bad news, it is not a .45

Gun 13.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 4/1/2024 at 4:13 PM, frankendat said:

further decrease that number by attackers persisting after receiving a non fatal wound

There are some things, which I will not gamble 

I feel like this may be one of said gambles. In our current litigious society, I have not insignificant concerns about giving "non fatal wounds". If I'm going to shoot you, you are going to die. I just hope I never need to find out. 

As the police officer who taught my CHL class often said, "One story is better than two". 

On 4/1/2024 at 4:48 PM, frankendat said:

I see these "Cowboy" shooters, who lean way back in special cowboy boots so the gun barely needs to peak out of the holster to fire and they shoot wax bullets which break apart

Youtube some cowboy quick comps, they look silly. 

I have seen a few of the latter. After realizing it was the former, I lost interest fairly quickly. 😁

• Like 3
On 3/28/2024 at 5:35 PM, frankendat said:

There is some appeal to the "Judge" I can not deny, but I have no idea what I would use it for. There is not much in my budget for expensive things without purpose.

Personally, I feel it has potentially two purposes. 

Great for hiking in places where you might need to kill a snake or other varmint.

Interesting defense weapon for "escalation situations". A friend mentioned it could be good carried with the first round rock salt, next round bird shot, the other three .45LC. Of course this only works when defending yourself one-on-one, fairly close, against someone who is not actively shooting back (so maybe not a "good" purpose 😁)

It's probably (okay, definitely) one of those "I have one because it's cool" guns. 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Personally, I feel it has potentially two purposes. 

Great for hiking in places where you might need to kill a snake or other varmint.

Interesting defense weapon for "escalation situations". A friend mentioned it could be good carried with the first round rock salt, next round bird shot, the other three .45LC. Of course this only works when defending yourself one-on-one, fairly close, against someone who is not actively shooting back (so maybe not a "good" purpose 😁)

It's probably (okay, definitely) one of those "I have one because it's cool" guns. 

The "escalation situation" theory runs afoul of "one story is better than two" no matter, I can see home defense use for the Judge. with .410 birdshot rounds.

You're not home, your doesn't practice wife is alone in the bedroom, an intruder enters, she grabs the Judge points in the direction of the intruder and fires. First, the muzzle flash and the bang will deafen and temporarily blind everyone in the room. Second, the birdshot spread out of that short barrel, increase the chance for a hit. In the next milliseconds, as the ears ringing/flash blinded intruder regains his senses, he might feel the pain of being shot. The intruder will not have time to access the wound. In those moments the intruder must make a choice, push forward toward the origin of the blast or retreat and reassess. In these same moments your wife regains composure and is in position to fire again.

Unless completely blasted on some substance I do not believe an intruder would have the will to continue after encountering the Judge. If the intruder did continue, spread of the shot reduces dramatically (becoming more deadly) the closer to the weapon the intruder becomes, so unless the wife sees the backs of his sneakers--keep firing. Lastly, the spread and lack of power in a single birdshot greatly decrease wall or multiple wall penetration lessening the chance of striking others in the house and/or close neighbors. 

There are other weapons I would choose over a Judge for home defense, but that's my best argument for one.

• Like 2

Or just put a shotgun next to the bed. One shot of some 00...no need for a second. 

I'd be fearful of the judge breaking the wrist of SO not being practiced and the thing getting away from her. 

• Like 1