• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

To clarify a bit more, It seemed to have two issues. 

1. It's great that it is DAO or SAO. But the shape of the hammer is such that the "tail" complete blocked out the rear sight making it almost impossible (for me) to aim in DAO mode. Once you cock the hammer and go SAO, it is fairly accurate and easy to shoot. The rear sight is still a bit too small for me in SAO mode. 

2. I noticed when Tim was shooting it DAO, you cannot afford to move slowly with the trigger. If you don't pull it back relatively quick, the hammer drags and it will "light strike" and not fire. This happened several times, again making it only really shootable in SAO. I did shoot some lube in the hammer and not sure if it helped or not. 

Problem #2 may get better with time. Problem #1 is not going away without some new parts/gunsmithing. 

Ok, a few things... first off, just to be "That Guy," DAO means "Double Action Only," and SAO means "Single Action Only."  

The light strike when pussyfooting the trigger was in single action.  I think what is happening is if the trigger is slowly pressed, it will release the sear but not the hammer block, thus the hammer drops to a half-cock position.  

So, problem 2 is a training matter (PULL THE DAMNED TRIGGER YA PUSS!) and problem 1 is...  a training matter (DA is for "point shooting" with a cowboy pistol).

• Like 1
On 3/20/2024 at 1:05 PM, Soundline said:

I spent two seasons hunting up my Priest River, since my hunting grounds are up near mt Abercrombie in the top right corner of WA.  Both seasons in ID I got my deer and had a wonderful time.  That land up there is dense so they were short shots, under 200 yards for one and then about 80 for the second one.  I’ve also never wounded an animal, the Weatherby is dialed in and I’d rather have an empty tag than to take a questionable shot.  I’m not subsistence hunting anymore.  

I’ve shot the pre-64’ Winchester 70 in the .30-06, but never the Whelen.  Those old Winchester’s are great rifles.

I really do like your state, that area around Boise is cool, but it’s gotten so big. I was there two years ago and hardly recognized it. If I were to relocate there I think I’d do Fruitland.  It seems to be just high enough it wouldn’t get that smoke that settles in the Nampa Valley during Fire season.

My rifles are pre-64. The Whelen is a 30-06 opened up to .35 caliber. Before Winchester "offically" released it (maybe a decade back?) We would "Fire form" 30-06 brass.

I have been pulling parts from a broken down D21 in Horseshoe Bend. It is 23 miles from Boise, but most of those miles are at a 7% grade. It's nice there, a bunch of building so I don't know for how long, but I have spent hours there the last two days and it's nice.

If I didn't have to worry about where to work, Horseshoe Bend and Payette, are good choices,  where you could "drive into town" for a concert or something, every now and again. If I didn't have to worry about work and being away from a big city didn't matter then Salmon would be my pick. I like Salmon. There are some even smaller towns for if you really don't mind being away from cities, but I won't be posting those in public. 

On 3/20/2024 at 1:05 PM, Soundline said:

I spent two seasons hunting up my Priest River, since my hunting grounds are up near mt Abercrombie in the top right corner of WA.  Both seasons in ID I got my deer and had a wonderful time.  That land up there is dense so they were short shots, under 200 yards for one and then about 80 for the second one.  I’ve also never wounded an animal, the Weatherby is dialed in and I’d rather have an empty tag than to take a questionable shot.  I’m not subsistence hunting anymore.  

I’ve shot the pre-64’ Winchester 70 in the .30-06, but never the Whelen.  Those old Winchester’s are great rifles.

I really do like your state, that area around Boise is cool, but it’s gotten so big. I was there two years ago and hardly recognized it. If I were to relocate there I think I’d do Fruitland.  It seems to be just high enough it wouldn’t get that smoke that settles in the Nampa Valley during Fire season.

nissan_valley_25.jpg

On 3/21/2024 at 6:55 PM, frankendat said:

My rifles are pre-64. The Whelen is a 30-06 opened up to .35 caliber. Before Winchester "offically" released it (maybe a decade back?) We would "Fire form" 30-06 brass.

I have been pulling parts from a broken down D21 in Horseshoe Bend. It is 23 miles from Boise, but most of those miles are at a 7% grade. It's nice there, a bunch of building so I don't know for how long, but I have spent hours there the last two days and it's nice.

If I didn't have to worry about where to work, Horseshoe Bend and Payette, are good choices,  where you could "drive into town" for a concert or something, every now and again. If I didn't have to worry about work and being away from a big city didn't matter then Salmon would be my pick. I like Salmon. There are some even smaller towns for if you really don't mind being away from cities, but I won't be posting those in public. 

I’m incredibly fortunate that the money I made allowed me to retire early.  I’m not rich or anything but I can live comfortably without getting shot again.  I just need to be able to drive to a VA when I need medical care and have a decent butcher shop nearby. The “basics”.  Lol

To stay on topic, this is the most ineffective platforms I have, but I love taking it to the range.

IMG_4390.jpeg

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Soundline said:

I’m incredibly fortunate that the money I made allowed me to retire early.  I’m not rich or anything but I can live comfortably without getting shot again.  I just need to be able to drive to a VA when I need medical care and have a decent butcher shop nearby. The “basics”.  Lol

To stay on topic, this is the most ineffective platforms I have, but I love taking it to the range.

IMG_4390.jpeg

Not a fan of hi volume, because "spray and pray" is unavoidable, even with experienced shooters. That being said, if you are keeping the horde from your door, the P90 is about as good as you can spray without employing belt fed.

Don't know why the land photo posted upside down. That's the truck and the spot I have been parts pulling recently. It is  4.21 Acres with a double wide that needs work, the owner had an offer for 500k and turned it down (500k would be a bargain, but it wasn't an unreasonable offer). 25 min from Eagle, Idaho (shops, restaurants, Home Depot), 45- 60 min (traffic dependent) to downtown Boise. If you have the coin, that's about as good as you can do, in terms of a living in quiet country beauty, but being near all the modern creature comforts. But, like I said, we have been discovered and there is building plenty. The trick would be to buy it and sell it for much more in 5-10, then hopscotch to the next "great" place. Something that is logically and financially sound and I hate the thought of it. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, frankendat said:

Not a fan of hi volume, because "spray and pray" is unavoidable, even with experienced shooters. That being said, if you are keeping the horde from your door, the P90 is about as good as you can spray without employing belt fed.

Don't know why the land photo posted upside down. That's the truck and the spot I have been parts pulling recently. It is  4.21 Acres with a double wide that needs work, the owner had an offer for 500k and turned it down (500k would be a bargain, but it wasn't an unreasonable offer). 25 min from Eagle, Idaho (shops, restaurants, Home Depot), 45- 60 min (traffic dependent) to downtown Boise. If you have the coin, that's about as good as you can do, in terms of a living in quiet country beauty, but being near all the modern creature comforts. But, like I said, we have been discovered and there is building plenty. The trick would be to buy it and sell it for much more in 5-10, then hopscotch to the next "great" place. Something that is logically and financially sound and I hate the thought of it. 

That does sound like a great place. Unfortunately the VA loans for my income bracket are frozen right now due to an “impending housing value crash”.  Which is why I’m looking at renting.  I’ll buy around where I feel that dip is occurring to maximize the property for my bulldog.  He deserves the best, just ask him.

I love shooting the FN PS90, but it’s not a go to for personal defense.  This will sound like heresy but I’d rather grab an AK than the FN.  However the FN gets more comments at the range.

Anyone else shoot these? The Beretta 1301.

IMG_0028.jpeg

IMG_2786.jpeg

• Like 4
9 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Changed out my grip safety for the beaver tail version from Wilson Combat. Don't mind the gap. 😋

image.jpeg.c7e722c4382ac9a8651fbcb622f3d915.jpeg

image.jpeg.93b9c95942d0acafa3623aec7a786382.jpeg

My father told people all the time, "Drop in parts...aren't" He specialized on 1911's and old bolt action rifles.

But, Wilson makes quality products and the beavertail is a nice addition. My 1911 was that same color combination for many years--solid. Personal preference, I an not a fan of the finger grooves, go for the straight spring housing and like slimline grips.

Edited by frankendat
  • Like 3
On 3/23/2024 at 9:44 PM, flatcat19 said:

1301 is very high on my want list. 

Shoot mine and then decide.

I’ve never shot the WC 1911, but I have shot their AR’s and they’re great.  

i’m 100% on board with the ‘no drop in’s’.  Just speaking from my experience with Glocks and Mil-Spec AR’s.  1911’s and bolt action rifles magnify that.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, frankendat said:

My father told people all the time, "Drop in parts...aren't" He specialized on 1911's and old bolt action rifles.

11 hours ago, Soundline said:

i’m 100% on board with the ‘no drop in’s’.  1911’s and bolt action rifles magnify that.

FWIW, so far all of the Wilson Combat stuff I have bought that they claim was drop in, was. YMMV

The gap doesn't both me as it might save pinching/grabbing things like my t-shirt, or my skin. If/when it does, I will just get the standard beavertail and file the back end of the frame down to suit. 👍

14 hours ago, frankendat said:

Personal preference, I an not a fan of the finger grooves

It's a must for me. Every 1911 I have owned, Hogue wraparound grips were a day 1 mod. Only reason I didn't go Hogue this time was that I really like these rubber grip panels and figured I'd save $10 by not replacing them. Side benefit, it made the mag well install a lot easier too. 

10 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

It's a must for me. Every 1911 I have owned, Hogue wraparound grips were a day 1 mod. Only reason I didn't go Hogue this time was that I really like these rubber grip panels and figured I'd save $10 by not replacing them. Side benefit, it made the mag well install a lot easier too. 

I like Hogue and use one of their full length bed overmolded stocks on the .338 Ultra Mag Model 70. It's heavy, can handle the rain and the snow; I don't worry if it gets scuffed in the willows or the sage brush and it is tits on accurate.

Edited by frankendat
;

It’s a .45 ACP.  The other 1911 I have is one of the Auto Ordinance WW2 style remake, also in .45 ACP.  If I feel that I really need to be dangerous and debonair I also have the updated version of the gun that killed Hitler.  It’s the “best” .380 auto I’ve used.  Although I have had a couple encounters where I saw people shot with them repeatedly at close range who were virtually unharmed.  

It’s fun to shoot after I put the larger grip on it.  

I have had hogue grips in the past, I liked them. That colt 1911 is a blemished gun that was offered through a police discount program.  It’s the cheapest new Colt I’ve ever seen.  The blemishes on it are really minor, apparently it was dropped at the factory.  So I refer to it as my cheap colt.

IMG_4545.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Soundline said:

Auto Ordinance WW2 style remake, also in .45 ACP

My primary carry, that has been my primary carry since the 80's, is an Ithaca 1911 .45. Well, the slide and frame are Ithaca government stamped WW2 issue. Everything else has been replaced and custom fitted. I didn't know WW2 1911's were coming back in fashion to where "remakes" are available. Mine has sentimental value, it was my first pistol, then it had an ACE .22 conversion kit. They let me participate in tactical matches(unofficially) until I ditched the conversion kit and shot .45 (High School). Dad transitioned from Colt to Caspian for his 1911's and I followed suit, except for my primary carry and the carbine. The sixteen inch barrel carbine is on a basic 1911 we picked up, I forget the brand, that 1911 stays secure in its rifle shell and only need be basic reliable and accurate, the barrel and firing from three points of contact take care of the rest

Yep, mine is a remake, nothing original about it except the design style.  It’s not as smooth as the colt, but they’re both good guns.  

My original carry gun was a Glock 27 .40 S&W.  I sold it and bought a Glock 26 9mm because getting 9mm ammo was cheap and easy for me in the military.  I carried that gun for about 20 years before.  It was my backup gun as a cop because it uses the same magazines as the Glock 17 duty gun I carried.  My tertiary gun has been the S&W J-Frame .38 Spcl 5 shot for almost 20 years as well.  These are all personal preferences, and the guns I’d grab in the zombie apocalypse.

Had someone today who’s roughly my height and proportions what guns they should consider for “full spectrum”.  I had to think about this but I’d say a Ruger 10/22, Glock 19 9mm, Mossberg 590/500 or Remington 870, AR my preference is FN in 5.56Nato, and a Remington Model 700 in .308 Win.  All easy calibers to get and none are gucci but they get the job done.

Although these are fun.

66380188566__78D8E219-4E74-487F-AD1F-D3FCE4C661A9.jpeg

• Like 3
22 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Every 1911 I have owned, Hogue wraparound grips were a day 1 mod. Only reason I didn't go Hogue this time was that I really like these rubber grip panels and figured I'd save $10 by not replacing them.  

12 hours ago, Soundline said:

I have had hogue grips in the past, I liked them. 

Point of clarification to anyone reading, the Hogue wraparound does "thicken" a 1911 quite a bit, as the side panels are beefy. Using slim side panels like I did, hit a sweet spot for me. My hand size is above average but not yuge. 

• Like 1
On 3/26/2024 at 8:43 PM, Soundline said:

Although these are fun.

I have been a fan of the Taurus Judge since they first came out  (yes, I know that is the Smith & Wesson copy😜). 

Here are my pair of Judges...

20240327_213410.thumb.jpg.403d647ad9044e7f48229b4a4c750c42.jpg

I call the top one my "Yosemite Sam Gun" because it is just so cartoon like!

• Like 4

More amateur gunsmithery happened! New Wilson Combat trigger fitted, went smooth as butter. New extended slide release fitted, that was a colossal cock-up that took an hour of filing and fiddling and filing and fiddling to make it work smooth, but now it does.

image.jpeg.68b6d268566a3e41db21f73549bc3a47.jpeg

So for anyone keeping track, Wilson Combat parts do indeed actually just drop right in. Everything else, doesn't.  😄

• Like 3
On 3/26/2024 at 7:43 PM, Soundline said:

Yep, mine is a remake, nothing original about it except the design style.  It’s not as smooth as the colt, but they’re both good guns.  

My original carry gun was a Glock 27 .40 S&W.  I sold it and bought a Glock 26 9mm because getting 9mm ammo was cheap and easy for me in the military.  I carried that gun for about 20 years before.  It was my backup gun as a cop because it uses the same magazines as the Glock 17 duty gun I carried.  My tertiary gun has been the S&W J-Frame .38 Spcl 5 shot for almost 20 years as well.  These are all personal preferences, and the guns I’d grab in the zombie apocalypse.

Had someone today who’s roughly my height and proportions what guns they should consider for “full spectrum”.  I had to think about this but I’d say a Ruger 10/22, Glock 19 9mm, Mossberg 590/500 or Remington 870, AR my preference is FN in 5.56Nato, and a Remington Model 700 in .308 Win.  All easy calibers to get and none are gucci but they get the job done.

Although these are fun.

There is some appeal to the "Judge" I can not deny, but I have no idea what I would use it for. There is not much in my budget for expensive things without purpose. The last splurge was the carbine. I don't understand why pistol caliber carbines are dismissed. I thought about taking one to the range with a few practiced shooters: "Combat", competition, race gun boys. Sure, there are some drills that are all show and no go, in terms of real world application, but no denying, they can shoot. I do not and have not practiced enough to hang with them, but take the 5 yard (or is it 7) steel plate "heads" drill- one mag knock down/no reload. The world class shooters do it in seconds or less than, local matchwinners  do it almost as fast as they can pull the trigger practiced experienced shooters slow, just a bit, (acquire sight picture, squeeze move on) and everyone else goes down from there. The drill has the same number of heads as cartridges in mag, any missed head remains standing. In my once or twice a year practiced state, I don't leave heads standing, but creep into double digit seconds (slooooww) with the .45 1911 pistol. BUT, with the carbine I can hang with practiced experienced shooters and, as I have only put about 100rds through the carbine, with some practice, shooting at the same levels as local matchwinning (pistol) shooters appears very reachable. By contrast, the time and money it would take to become a shooter who wins (or even places) Idaho semi-auto pistol matches would be mammoth in comparison. (assuming this theoretical carbine/pistol match didn't include reloading, the carbine is reloadable as fast as the pistol, but reloading, especially under pressure, requires additional and consistent practice.)

Like I said, some drills like "heads" do not have much direct real world application, but the ability to quickly and accurately engage a small target successfully is always a beneficial skill. 

Since I don't practice much, yet still practice more than many I know, an easy to shoot, easy to be accurate, weapon for home/personal defense, the pistol caliber carbine has everything but ease of conceal-ability. It could be possible to swap barrels and convert a 1911 carbine back to a  1911 pistol, if needing conceal-ability, but the laws are vague in that regard, so mine is dedicated and remains converted. No matter, if you are a 1911 shooter, then more is always better and your carbine and carry gun utilize the same platform simplifying training. 

Also, the J-frame S&W's are fantastic!