10 hours ago, Soundline said:

Taurus makes a fine gun for weekend shooters.  They’re reasonable in every way if you’re not a burn down shooter... If you’re gonna run 5,000+ rounds a year through it, I’d suggest buying a Glock, M&P, FN, HK, or something in the mid-tier.

That's what the 1911 is for. 😁

Plus, I can run 10,000 rounds through it over the next ten years, then toss it. At $200, it's damn near a disposable firearm (see below). 

10 hours ago, Soundline said:

Strangely I’m not a big advocate for high dollar guns for personal defense.  If you are faced to take a life in the preservation of your own life, or the lives of others, that firearm will probably remain in evidence indefinitely... The last firearm I had used in a homicide, it took 9 years and 7 months to get it returned.

And now you know why I bought this Taurus. 👍

I wanted an EDC I could run 100 rounds a month through for 5-10 years, maintain proficiency with, and keep in good condition, that if the police took away I wouldn't be too heartbroken over it. 😉

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, flatcat19 said:

I have shot a friend's G2c. It was a great firing gun although the trigger pull was a mile long. There are lots of good reviews on YouTube about Taurus' current line up. 

Yeah, watching a lot of the youtube reviews is what got me interested in it. About 15 years ago my EDC was the Taurus Millenium Pro G2. Light, reliable, easy to shoot, and cheap to buy/maintain. I was thinking about that gun recently, and through some research I found out it was discontinued and replaced by the G2C. Then the G3C is just a G2C with some key upgrades (like a better trigger pull). 

I had thought, after a brief handling in the store, that it would need a longer grip. So I got some magazine extension thingies for it...

image.jpeg.71c6dd71dc91b838476b862bb6e14bea.jpeg

And after test driving it, I don't think I like it. It's a liittle too long now... 

image.jpeg.d02582d3cb2352aee39a89d81b9ac49c.jpeg

I'm going to try both at the range and see how it goes. Fortunately, these come with 3 magazines. So I may just use a short one for carry and a long one for the range. We shall see...

• Like 1

Taurus is an okay gun for under 300.

Terrible gun in the compact 9mm category since for another 100-150 can get you a police trade in glock, M&P or a CZ P07 or P10c thats miles better in quality.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fat510 said:

for another 100-150 can get you a police trade in glock, M&P or a CZ P07 or P10c thats miles better in quality.

CZ P07 is wicked cool, but big, and hammer fired. I have been also wanting to go back to a striker-fired pistol for EDC for awhile. 

I was kinda torn between this, the M&P Shield Plus, and the Sig Sauer P365X. I only went with this one because it was $200 and the other two are $400 and $500. And I have no idea whether I am a "micro 9 guy" yet or not. I figured this was a cheap way to find out. If I like it, it will probsably get replaced with something different down the road. 

But I am watching Academy's website to see if the M&P ever goes on sale. 😉

And I would not say any of those are "miles better" in quality. I have owned a lot of Taurus pistols and never had any issues with them. But they can be hit-and-miss from one model to the next. I like the old G2 Milleniums. I like the Beretta 92 copies (PT92). But I really dislike their 1911. Rest assured, I have no illusions about what to expect from a $200 gun. 😄

The LEO trade in thing makes me nervous because wouldn't they have a lot of miles on them? Hate to spend more for something that is "worn out". Thoughts?

And no Glocks. Ever.  🤚

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

CZ P07 is wicked cool, but big, and hammer fired. I have been also wanting to go back to a striker-fired pistol for EDC for awhile. 

I was kinda torn between this, the M&P Shield Plus, and the Sig Sauer P365X. I only went with this one because it was $200 and the other two are $400 and $500. And I have no idea whether I am a "micro 9 guy" yet or not. I figured this was a cheap way to find out. If I like it, it will probsably get replaced with something different down the road. 

But I am watching Academy's website to see if the M&P ever goes on sale. 😉

And I would not say any of those are "miles better" in quality. I have owned a lot of Taurus pistols and never had any issues with them. But they can be hit-and-miss from one model to the next. I like the old G2 Milleniums. I like the Beretta 92 copies (PT92). But I really dislike their 1911. Rest assured, I have no illusions about what to expect from a $200 gun. 😄

The LEO trade in thing makes me nervous because wouldn't they have a lot of miles on them? Hate to spend more for something that is "worn out". Thoughts?

And no Glocks. Ever.  🤚

I personally dont like sig strikers because they like to beta test their stuff in the customers. However I did have a shield (1.0 before the 2.0) that i got for 250 and i liked it. It conceals well with a good holster. Theyre probably cheap on gunbroker.

I wouldnt buy a taurus because their QC is so bad from pistol to pistol of the same model. Millenniums, if I recall, were those models that got recalled for not being drop safe and firing full auto randomly.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Fat510 said:

I wouldnt buy a taurus because their QC is so bad from pistol to pistol of the same model. 

It has been in the past. They supposedly have gotten a bit better recently. It's possible I just got lucky on the 4 that I owned.  👍

30 minutes ago, Fat510 said:

Millenniums, if I recall, were those models that got recalled for not being drop safe and firing full auto randomly.

Never heard of the "full auto mode", but they were definitely recalled for not being drop safe. Fortunately, I have never dropped a loaded gun, and hope never to do so. 

• Like 2

No Glocks ever? Lol. Everyone should own a Glock. 

I dislike them as well, but I can shoot lights out with one. 

When SHTF and you need surplus...what is the most common magazine you'll find almost anywhere? 

I have a 19 packed in a go bag. Take it out once a month to shoot them right back in the bag. 

It tooke a while to do well with a micro 9. My wife purchased the Hellcat Pro I mentioned earlier. It took a box or two to really feel confident with it. I carry it all the time now until I can save up money then go test fire whatever new iteration of micros are available then. 

P365 X Macro? 

Shield plus? Maybe in 30SC vs 9

The original Hellcat? 

Canik's new micro? 

• Like 3

It’s honestly nice to have this thread be full of knowledgeable protectors. 

As for the QC, results may vary.  I had to send my brand new Colt Python back because the cylinder came out of time due to a slight tolerance issue.  They fixed it and sent it back.  I also have seen issues with pretty much anything, which is why it’s good to practice malfunction clearance drills.  As far as guns I’ve had personal “it became a club” on me, FN Scar, Glock 22, Sig 226, and a Rossi .357 just to name a couple off hand.  Are “cheap” guns crap?  No.  I worked more than one Hi-Point homicide as a patrolman.  

Micro compacts are one of my favorite categories.  I’ve shot the Sig 938 & P365, FN 503, Shield 1, Glock 42/43, Ruger LC9, Walther PPK/S & PK380, and Beretta 21A.  Of those options I find myself carrying the P365 most often.  It seems to fit my big fucking hands the best.  Is it “the best”, for me and my shooting preferences, biases, and comfort; probably.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, flatcat19 said:

No Glocks ever? Lol. Everyone should own a Glock. 

I had a 42 for awhile. I like the 19 and 43, but they just aren't for me. i don't like the grip angle of most of them (1911 fanboy here), and just don't like most "belly button" guns as a general rule. 

When SHTF and you need surplus...what is the most common magazine you'll find almost anywhere? 

1911.  😁

P365 X Macro? 

Shield plus? Maybe in 30SC vs 9

The original Hellcat? 

Canik's new micro? 

Like i said, I really dig the P365X and P365X Macro. But if I like this size gun, a Shield Plus may be my next purchase. 

if you mean the Canik Mete MC9, it is really cool. I didn't like the ergonomics of it (kinda like the Glocks), but it does looke like a good buy. 👍

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Soundline said:

It seems to fit my big fucking hands the best.  Is it “the best”, for me and my shooting preferences, biases, and comfort; probably.

When/before KP(my wife to the rest of you) bought the Hellcat Pro...she had an M&P 2.0 3.6" barrel. I liked her gun a lot! I did not want to purchase the same one though. I bought my Sig P320 X-Compact. Almost identical in size/feel. 

She never could get the hang of it. Too big for her, heavy. Slide hard to rack, etc. We went shopping for a new pistol for her. The H.Pro was small enough for her to grip yet not too small that it was whippy for her. She shot everything that fit her hands. This was right before the XMacro released, we didn't know that that was coming out or we would have waited. 

Needless to say, I love that gun too. Well, KP tore her rotator cuff of her right arm and can't lift it straight to eye level. So....now I carry it 4 1/2 out of 7 days. 

Note to all others not named Soundline: my wife.can handle a gun. This lady came in to the relationship with a Browning HiPower as her bedside buddy. 

Little lady ain't no joke! 

Edited by flatcat19
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Soundline said:

Of those options I find myself carrying the P365 most often.  It seems to fit my big fucking hands the best.  Is it “the best”, for me and my shooting preferences, biases, and comfort; probably.

Have you handled a P365X? Basically same gun as a P365 with a little more grip for the more hand endowed among  us.  😁

• Like 1
On 3/1/2024 at 11:49 AM, datsunfreak said:

And because I am dumb, and like wasting money, I found some more unobtrusive ones on ebay and ordered a pair. Should be here next week...

And I reeeeeally like these a lot better. Just a wee bit longer than stock, and a perfect fit to my hand...

image.jpeg

• Like 1
On 3/1/2024 at 4:43 PM, Soundline said:

It’s honestly nice to have this thread be full of knowledgeable protectors. 

As for the QC, results may vary.  I had to send my brand new Colt Python back because the cylinder came out of time due to a slight tolerance issue.  They fixed it and sent it back.  I also have seen issues with pretty much anything, which is why it’s good to practice malfunction clearance drills.  As far as guns I’ve had personal “it became a club” on me, FN Scar, Glock 22, Sig 226, and a Rossi .357 just to name a couple off hand.  Are “cheap” guns crap?  No.  I worked more than one Hi-Point homicide as a patrolman.  

Micro compacts are one of my favorite categories.  I’ve shot the Sig 938 & P365, FN 503, Shield 1, Glock 42/43, Ruger LC9, Walther PPK/S & PK380, and Beretta 21A.  Of those options I find myself carrying the P365 most often.  It seems to fit my big fucking hands the best.  Is it “the best”, for me and my shooting preferences, biases, and comfort; probably.

.45 ACP or LC, 1911, SA, or DA, there is no substitute (DAO, DA/SA I don't count as they are over engineered answers for problems that never existed.The semi-cock striker fired Glock isn't a favorite of mine, but in .45 I will let it pass.)   

• Like 1
On 3/7/2024 at 9:52 PM, frankendat said:

.45 ACP or LC, 1911, SA, or DA, there is no substitute   

Yeah, 10mm

On 3/9/2024 at 1:28 PM, Fat510 said:

Yeah, 10mm

10mm is a substitute for .45ACP like splenda is a substitute for sugar - maybe a little better, maybe a little worse, but not as sweet. The 10mm is basically a fast .40, and nobody should like .40's.
Colt .45LC outperforms a .45ACP (factory vs factory) A Ruger .45LC can handle loads factory and aftermarket that dramatically outperform the .45ACP.

But, this is mostly bullshit, aside from Bear the .45ACP will kill any threat in North America with a decently placed shot and, with a little hand strength and practice, multiple hits in quick succession shouldn't be a problem. The Colt, but certainly the Ruger LC will stop Bear and beyond, with a semi decent shot, multiple quick hits will require more practice, but oddly, the hand strength can be less (with the single actions) the design allows the pistol to rock in your hand and it surprisingly easy to control. At least I have always thought so.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, frankendat said:

45LC outperforms a .45ACP (factory vs factory) A Ruger .45LC can handle loads factory and aftermarket that dramatically outperform the .45ACP.

But, this is mostly bullshit, aside from Bear the .45ACP will kill any threat in North America with a decently placed shot and, with a little hand strength and practice, multiple hits in quick succession shouldn't be a problem. The Colt, but certainly the Ruger LC will stop Bear and beyond, with a semi decent shot, multiple quick hits will require more practice

I had a Ruger Super Redhawk for a few years and loved it. Shoots .45 LC or .454 Casull. Never got to shoot the .454 rounds at the range because they claimed it would shoot through their backstop. 😄

• Like 3
8 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I had a Ruger Super Redhawk for a few years and loved it. Shoots .45 LC or .454 Casull. Never got to shoot the .454 rounds at the range because they claimed it would shoot through their backstop. 😄

LOL, I bot the Ruger Casull too 10-20 years ago and never shot it.  From PA, I've lived in FL and NV where shooting was everywhere.  In PA it's all about hunting.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, flatcat19 said:

Looks like a Hellcat. 

It's definitely not far off. 😁

I was thinking Hellcat-adjacent, but with a bit more roomy trigger guard. Also doesn't hurt that it's USA-made (to me). 

Edited by datsunfreak