7 hours ago, flatcat19 said:

That seems very un-Texan of them. 

I know, right?!?  😄

I was discussing this with a friend and I honestly think this is some sort of pacification? "See! We care about gun violence!" or "Trust us, this is a safe space!". I don't think (most of) these places are going to call the cops on you if you're cool about it. 

I have grown to loathe any business with signs that say "gun free zone". Yeah, because bad people doing bad shit will see your sign Carl and definitely not do that bad shit at your place of business. 

What I find extra amusing about the movie theater situation is they have the 30.06, but not the 30.07. So if I open carry, that's okay? 🙄 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't imagine having to arm yourself to go to a movie. Are shooting in a theaters a common occurrence in Texas?

Gun free zones... how do they enforce this policy? metal detectors or searches, or are you on your honor to check them at the door?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I know, right?!?  😄

I was discussing this with a friend and I honestly think this is some sort of pacification? "See! We care about gun violence!" or "Trust us, this is a safe space!". I don't think (most of) these places are going to call the cops on you if you're cool about it. 

I have grown to loathe any business with signs that say "gun free zone". Yeah, because bad people doing bad shit will see your sign Carl and definitely not do that bad shit at your place of business. 

What I find extra amusing about the movie theater situation is they have the 30.06, but not the 30.07. So if I open carry, that's okay? 🙄 

The company I have been working for, for years now, was recently bought by a larger company based out of Texas. 

My line of work puts me in some very shady places, very much out in the public. Some days, not carrying is not an option. 

The first thing put forward from the new company was a memo against carrying personal weapons/firearms while on/in company/customer property. 

So very un Texas like, we thought. 

Not happening, y'all. I'm never not going to have the best tool for the job out here. 

I have maybe about 5 to 10 places a year I carry, but I at least always have my pistol in the truck. 

Edited by flatcat19
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I was in Weatherford, TX last year and as I was gassing up I saw a fine citizen with a katana on one hip and a Desert Eagle on the other.  That man feared no zombie or Highlander. 

As far as shootings go, I know the 2012 Aurora, CO shooting the Century 16 Theater was selected by James Holmes because it had CO’s version of 30.06.  I’d be more likely to go to a theater if it had one of these signs.  

I was actually in a shooting at a theater in 2012, it was gang on gang and fortunately the only person hit was the intended target.  

i was also unlucky enough to have followed the “no weapons” sign when I went to the Tacoma Mall 20 Nov 2005 when some fuck up lit the place up.  Dominic Maldanodo came in with a TEC-9 & MAK90 and shot 6 people before Dan McKown, a mall employee pulled his concealed carry gun and stopped it.  

So, yeah I guess it is pretty common to have shootings at theaters, malls, gas stations… just wear you vest and carry if you’re going to a U.S. city with a population of 50k or greater in a state with strict gun control.

IMG_2573.jpeg

• Like 1
On 2/22/2024 at 9:01 AM, datzenmike said:

I can't imagine having to arm yourself to go to a movie. Are shooting in a theaters a common occurrence in Texas?

If you have not, try googling "shooting at movie theater".

They are not a common occurence, but one is enough for me.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:01 AM, datzenmike said:

Gun free zones... how do they enforce this policy? metal detectors or searches, or are you on your honor to check them at the door?

Mostly the second, occasionally the first. Metal detectors are pretty uncommon here, except the obvious places like an airport or large amusement park (places you can get a felony for carrying at anyway). 

• Like 1
On 2/22/2024 at 10:57 AM, flatcat19 said:

The company I have been working for, for years now, was recently bought by a larger company based out of Texas. 

The first thing put forward from the new company was a memo against carrying personal weapons/firearms while on/in company/customer property. 

So very un Texas like, we thought. 

It's not as "wild west" out here as some think. Realize that carrying a gun here at all was a felony offense until very recently. 

And there were plenty of people here against constituional carry, but Governor Abbott was going to do whatever it took to get that through. 

• Like 1
On 2/22/2024 at 10:57 AM, Soundline said:

As far as shootings go, I know the 2012 Aurora, CO shooting the Century 16 Theater was selected by James Holmes because it had CO’s version of 30.06.

This is my concern. I'd have to think these guys are specifically targeting "gun free zones" for the rampage? 

I’d be more likely to go to a theater if it had one of these signs.

Are you saying you would prefer to go to a theater that did not allow concealed carry? 

I've never heard the strongest argument for carry - and it was the foundation of how Roman Legions fought:  You defended the man to your left (or was it the right.)  Can you imaging how messed up that would be if you were fighting them?  You would expect 1 on 1 only to find the Roman on the right you are not engaging is now trying to kill you.  I thought that was brilliant.  

So you're getting mugged and it looks like the guy is going to kill you.  Do you want a bystander to be armed?

What are you going to say, "No, I'll hope someone calls the cops and they'll get here in 5 minutes."

Never heard that argument put forth.  

• Like 1

The strongest argument for carry is no one is coming to help you it is up to yourself... after all the criminals carry why should I be in a lower position of power than them?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dguy210 said:

The strongest argument for carry is no one is coming to help you it is up to yourself... after all the criminals carry why should I be in a lower position of power than them?

You say that and they'll come right back saying if you get jumped, how much self-defense do you know, how quick can you draw the thug will take your gun away and kill you with it - all sorts of possible scenarios.  

Hupp's testimony in 1991 is about the strongest argument to carry but even this compelling testimony won't sway the anti-gunners.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Cardinal Grammeter said:

You say that and they'll come right back saying if you get jumped, how much self-defense do you know, how quick can you draw the thug will take your gun away and kill you with it - all sorts of possible scenarios.  

Hupp's testimony in 1991 is about the strongest argument to carry but even this compelling testimony won't sway the anti-gunners.

"You say that and they'll come right back saying if you get jumped, how much self-defense do you know, how quick can you draw the thug will take your gun away and kill you with it - all sorts of possible scenarios. "

And my answer will be as it will always be; I care not what small minded fools think, I care only what I think and do.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

When the cops are at least a couple of minutes away...

Edited by flatcat19
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Dguy210 said:

"You say that and they'll come right back saying if you get jumped, how much self-defense do you know, how quick can you draw the thug will take your gun away and kill you with it - all sorts of possible scenarios. "

And my answer will be as it will always be; I care not what small minded fools think, I care only what I think and do.

Obviously, you're preaching to the choir here.  But when you find yourself talking to anti-gunners.... 

Back around 1990, I baggage checked a Ruger 357 Maximum when I flew to NV to visit a good friend.  The ticket counter girl inspected everything and said she was scared of guns.  I asked her if she was afraid from actual experiences or from what was being said on TV.  She actually paused for a moment and said, TV.  Clearly she was pretty smart working for a major airline.  I think she actually gave it some thought.  Another thought: this young woman was black and I believe, being black, dealing with cops and assholes, you have to have your wits about you.  I suspect that contributed to her actually thinking about what I said.  

• Like 2
20 hours ago, flatcat19 said:

Would it be ok to add that I am against constitutional carry? 

I also believe open carry is an ignorant play for almost everybody. 

And gun free zones have to be the least brilliant idea ever. 

1. Mostly same. Although I would say maybe split the difference and make everyone take/pass the course for the CHL? No license, but also no pass no play? Although I am biased since I took the course, had the license, then dropped it once it was no longer required. 

2. 100%. Might as well wear a shirt that says "shoot me first". 

3. Also 100%. 

15 hours ago, Cardinal Grammeter said:

Then I would say "some chance is better than no chance". 

And I ain't about to grapple with no fool, either...  😋

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1

Back 35+ years ago when the two daughters started dating, On their first date, I always made it a point on the first date to be the one to greet them at the door, invite them in with a handshake, and usher them into the living room. A required aspect of the first meeting was to have at least two or three pistols on the living room coffee table with one of them broke down in the middle of a cleaning operation. We'd have a little chat, the daughter would enter the room, having just finished poofing up her hair and make-up, I'd wish them a pleasant evening, and see them out the door with a little peck on the daughter's cheek. Never had a problem one. Both daughters are now beautiful strong middle-age women (who can handle a firearm responsibly) with strong families and are solid positive contributors to society. Life's been good !! 

Daughter's Boyfrined & Guns.jpg

• Like 2

One of the outcomes of the Rodney King trial and subsequent riots was a declaration that cops have no requirement to defend individuals against attack, only a ill-defined requirement to defend public safety. In other words - you are left to your own presumably legal wits to defend yourself. This was an official response to a reporter's question as to why the LA Police did not respond to a rioter on TV attempting to bash a truck driver's head in with a concrete block.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

One of the outcomes of the Rodney King trial and subsequent riots was a declaration that cops have no requirement to defend individuals against attack, only a ill-defined requirement to defend public safety. 

See Uvalde shooting. 

• Like 1
On 2/26/2024 at 9:09 AM, datsunfreak said:

This is my concern. I'd have to think these guys are specifically targeting "gun free zones" for the rampage? 

Are you saying you would prefer to go to a theater that did not allow concealed carry? 

I spent about 2 years developing a mass casualty response program.  I had assistance from colleagues in the the medical field, federal law enforcement, psychiatrists, executive protection, military, central intelligence, other local and state agencies, survivors of these events, and I’ve even sat down and interviewed convicted attackers.  I’m still considered a subject matter expert and legal expert for testimony in these cases.

I could absolutely bore everyone on this forum with details.  It is well known that “gun free zones” are specifically targeted.  Many of these shitbags chose their targeted areas because of limited access to firearms.  You don’t see them occur at police gun range training days.  If you’re talking about the media covered variety, with the highest death counts, they occur most commonly at schools, malls, theaters, colleges, and churches.  

Although if you’re looking at just raw numbers where two or more people are struck by gunfire, mass shooting most commonly occur on the street.  If you’re outside in poor, ethnically monogamous boundary regions of gang controlled urban neighborhoods after dark, your chances go up exponentially.  I’d discourage anyone from standing outside a gas station in south Chicago with red or blue on after dark.  Especially if you’re not homogeneous with the local community in any readily obvious way.  The vast majority of mass shootings occur out of the window of a car.

I no longer follow those “no guns” signs unless it’s a federal or state restriction with a metal detector.  My credentials get me around a lot of those.  It’s my informed choice to avoid gun free establishments.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Soundline said:

If you’re talking about the media covered variety, with the highest death counts, they occur most commonly at schools, malls, theaters, colleges, and churches.  

FWIW, I always carry if I am in a church. My brother pastors a church here in Fort Worth and ecourages those so inclined to carry at his church. In Texas it is allowed, unless specifically forbidden by the church board/pastor. 

11 hours ago, Soundline said:

I no longer follow those “no guns” signs unless it’s a federal or state restriction with a metal detector. It’s my informed choice to avoid gun free establishments.  

Same. It is my informed choice to ignore the signs that are not legally binding.  😁

And thank you for the clarification on your movie theater point. 

Not sure if I nentioned this, but I walked into a 7/11 the other day and noticed this sign (see below). Never paid it much attention before, but this discussion sent me down a rabbit hole on signs and which ones are actually a legal restriction. Apparently, constitutional carry has made this sign completely meaningless.

image.thumb.jpeg.b2feabdb5f405738898765b56927cf5f.jpeg

It is only illegal to have a firearm in a convenience store/restaurant if they make more than 51% of their revenue from alcohol sales. And if they do, they are required by law to have this sign posted now. If they do not, fair play. 

51_-english.png?1512576639

• Like 1

And on a lighter topic, my local Academy Sports had a sale this week on selected Taurus guns for $50 off. Since this was only $280 to begin with, that means with a $20 coupon I had, I picked it up for $210! Been wanting to try a micro 9 for awhile and figured it was too cheap to say no. 😁

13 rounds in a lightweight, easy to conceal package, sounds just right...

image.thumb.jpeg.95ad0a38b7a4a54d53b260f13dfa9b43.jpeg

They had some ammo on sale for $12 for 50, so I got two of those also. Gonna hit the range this weekend and break it in so I can switch over to this for my EDC.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my 1911, but it's just a bit too heavy for an EDC. And this means it's time for more mods on the 1911 since it will strictly be for the range/car/nightstand. 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

FWIW, I always carry if I am in a church. My brother pastors a church here in Fort Worth and ecourages those so inclined to carry at his church. In Texas it is allowed, unless specifically forbidden by the church board/pastor. 

Amen to that brother!

• Like 2

My personal view on church is I’ll usually have two mags and a tourniquet on me.  I’m old and lazy, so I like to agent carry in a shoulder harness.  

Taurus makes a fine gun for weekend shooters.  They’re reasonable in every way if you’re not a burn down shooter.  Great gun to go in the living room lockbox, bedside safe, or shower safe.  If you’re gonna run 5,000+ rounds a year through it, I’d suggest buying a Glock, M&P, FN, HK, or something in the mid-tier.

Strangely I’m not a big advocate for high dollar guns for personal defense.  If you are faced to take a life in the preservation of your own life, or the lives of others, that firearm will probably remain in evidence indefinitely.  Don’t misunderstand, if you wanna concealed carry the very Walther Hitler killed himself with, the .32 S&W Iver Johnson used by Leon Czolgosz to assassinate President William McKinely, or Alec Baldwin’s own F.lli Pietta Single Action .45 LC do it.  You got the $, please train with it.  Just know it’ll be locked up for at least a couple years in most cases. The last firearm I had used in a homicide, it took 9 years and 7 months to get it returned.

IMG_8680.jpeg

12 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

And on a lighter topic, my local Academy Sports had a sale this week on selected Taurus guns for $50 off. Since this was only $280 to begin with, that means with a $20 coupon I had, I picked it up for $210! Been wanting to try a micro 9 for awhile and figured it was too cheap to say no. 😁

13 rounds in a lightweight, easy to conceal package, sounds just right...

image.thumb.jpeg.95ad0a38b7a4a54d53b260f13dfa9b43.jpeg

They had some ammo on sale for $12 for 50, so I got two of those also. Gonna hit the range this weekend and break it in so I can switch over to this for my EDC.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my 1911, but it's just a bit too heavy for an EDC. And this means it's time for more mods on the 1911 since it will strictly be for the range/car/nightstand. 

I have shot a friend's G2c. It was a great firing gun although the trigger pull was a mile long. There are lots of good reviews on YouTube about Taurus' current line up. 

Good luck with it. I have a hellcat pro that I love shooting...but that Taurus, if you do well with it...is a great comparison for way more than half off. 

• Like 2