Snowballs Chance 510- Rotisserie Resto Project

merlin

This is my oldest 510, i bought it back in 1996 as a stock relatively rust free 68 4 door #2015. Its been built twice now, Once by me, once by a rip off body guy who fillled it with foam and bondo, and now again by me as my bodywork practice car.

It's been stripped down for a couple of years, but now that i have a heated shop, it's getting the time it deserves. When the weather is warm, I'll work on Granny, my other 510, when its minus 15 , i'll work on this.

3rd times the charm, right?

IMG_2116.jpg

today i cut out a rotten rocker and replaced it, plus a bunch of other metal bits...

IMG_2121-1.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

here's the other 50 Oics.... http://s1111.photobu...rlin_Blackwell/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

Finished up some patches, then tackled the rear lower quarter panel.

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

Crapass Alfaparts rear quarter panels I bought a few years back.. thought i might as well use the metal.. this is a flared car, so no worries about the wonky wheel arch.

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

Had to go Old School with the little round quarter bottom section - Pete Brock told me he made most of his prototypes hammering on a big old stump..

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

I ground it down and it looks pretty clean... for some reason the picture didn't save... take one of the finished product tomorrow.

Tomorrow i deal with the Wheel well, then switch to the other side... moar oics on the above photobucket link...

typing with one eye... got a welding spark in one eye aturday... the pain is awesome!:thumbup:

i upload all the pics on this to my photobucket album.... should be some dtetail shots there... only tips i would say on that front section.. 1. take out all the thin metal... that patch is actually the second one... the first one wouldn't take because i was blowing through thin metal with the mig... 2. do them as lap welds - it ain't as pretty, but who's going to see it right? at it will get covered with undercoat.

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h474/Merlin_Blackwell/

typing with one eye... got a welding spark in one eye aturday... the pain is awesome!:thumbup:

i upload all the pics on this to my photobucket album.... should be some dtetail shots there... only tips i would say on that front section.. 1. take out all the thin metal... that patch is actually the second one... the first one wouldn't take because i was blowing through thin metal with the mig... 2. do them as lap welds - it ain't as pretty, but who's going to see it right? at it will get covered with undercoat.

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h474/Merlin_Blackwell/

[/quotGood work, good perseverence. By working with such a rusty car, you are practicing with one of the most difficulty types of welding that exists. Thin sheetmetal ALONE is a challenge, but the rusty stuff adds an extra level of difficulty. I would imagine it's testing your patience - not to mention the welding spark in the eye.

Be careful about those eyes! I know accidents happen, but do your best to protect your eyes - you'll never be able to weld without them.

Very impressive commitment to saving/repairing a 510!

i think it was actually probably a grinder spark.. i didn't notice it for most of a day... always wear safety glasses earmuffs, but i'm going to dig out the face shield. this one little chip has caused me to lose sleep and datsun working days....

Day 3, interrupted.

So this was what I was working on before i burnt my eyeball... "reflaring" my rear flares.

IMG_2190.jpg

Step 1. take a nice Princess Auto trailer fender- $12.99 and real steel and slice in half down the length .

IMG_2189.jpg

(Pic is of one half of the fender, I've got the other half on the car )

2 . Fit it to the already sliced up wheel well with metal screws

IMG_2191.jpg

3 once you have it where you want it, weld it in... ain't got ther yet as the Doc don't want me welding for 2 more days at least. I'll have to make patch panels for both ends of the arch bottoms, but having the majority of such a long piece of curved metal in there so easily(took 10 minutes to fit it) makes it worth that little extra work.

Note that this car was already flared by me... 15 years ago and poorly done i should add, so i'm trying to do it a batter way... this metal is actually just the "inner structure" of the flare... a Specialty Engineering fibreglass flare will be cut to fit and glued to the body once i have a solid metal base in place.

Here you can see half the old flare on the door - I need to move the new flare up about 1 inch to fit properly.

IMG_2193.jpg

and here's the car with the door closed and the front flared fender on...

IMG_2194.jpg

I actually didn't feel it right away.. it was only when the speck of slag started slicing the inside of my eyelid a few hours later that i noticed anything wrong.. by the next morning though, my eye was a swollen mess. It hurt from the infection, not the slag.

Mmmmmm...nice big warm shop.

Looks a little lonely in there....with just 1 Datsun and all.... :poke: .... :D

Dropped by there today...but....nobody 'home'.

wuz in Kamelpoops takin' care of some Bidness.

Day 4

Got the new passenger side rocker panel on, made several rust patches, fitted the new lower rear quarter and Shaved the whole battery tray... made a curved metal patch to get rid of the indent. Forgot camera at the shop, Oics tomorrow.

One more furious day of panel bashing and welding and all that should be done.

Day 5

MOAR WELDING!!!!!

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg:o

the old rocker! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Shaving the battery tray...

IMG_2199.jpgIMG_2202.jpgIMG_2207.jpg

Moar Patches.

.IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2211.jpgIMG_2212.jpg

Had to trackset the X country trails and pick up more wire... going back after dinner for more fab and bang.

Day 5 PT 2 "Electric Boogaloo!"

After dinner fabricating focused on fixing the other rear Quarter panel edge. I also reinstalled the other door so that I can start the flare re-fit tomorrow.

IMG_2213.jpgIMG_2214.jpgIMG_2215.jpgIMG_2216.jpgIMG_2217.jpg

Zeusimo- the two engine stand rotisserie was Cheap- $125 for both... you have to find engine stands with a straight upright post or a slight forward lean. I need to add about 6 inches height to the red one's post so that a 510 can fully turn.

Day 6

Grind, weld, hammer, cut metal, test fit, repeat.... this is a very slow process...

Test fit the new flares... These ones move up the body about an inch over the last install.. same flare, just need to cut way more off to make it work... gunna "glue" them on with gorilla hair

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

cut...

IMG_2221.jpg

cut some more...

IMG_2222.jpg

grind, cut metal, patch...

IMG_2223.jpg

How NOT to shave a door handle...

IMG_2224.jpg

surface prep disc time

IMG_2225.jpg

Day 7

Grind, weld, hammer, cut metal, test fit, repeat PART2!!!!!!!!.

the mess that is the door arch...

IMG_2228.jpg

Cutting the old crap out...

IMG_2231.jpg

Lots and lots of cutting, templates and test fitting

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2234.jpgand Moar!!!!

IMG_2235.jpg

both sides fitted, weld them in tomorrow...

IMG_2236.jpg

Another 6 hours of detail welding , then glass blast!