RHD Datsun 1200 Sedan

bez1200

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to datsuns and new to the forums, but I have been lurking for some time, stealing you guys ideas and examples. I bought myself this little Datsun 1200 Sedan for my birthday in April 2010 and took it apart and rebuilt it a few times in my garage. Here is a lit of parts so far

73 Datsun 1200 Sedan

• CA18DET Motor & 5 Speed
  • Subaru WRX Turbocharger
  • Mishimoto Intercooler with 2.5' polished piping
  • Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
  • Stock Ecu
  • 3 Core Copper Radiator
  • Greddy 1.3bar Rad Cap

• Tein S13 HR 16 way Damper Adjustable Coilovers
  • Tein Camber Plates
  • Custom S13 Tie Rods
  • S13 Lower Control Arms
  • S13 11" Single Piston Disk Brakes

• Pathfinder H233B 9" Diff
  • Pathfinder Rear 4 Link
  • Stock Leaf Springs
  • Koni Shocks
  • Custom 9" Disk Brakes
  • Custom Drive Shaft

• Bride Racing Bucket Seat
  • 4pt Harness & Street Belts
  • Autometer Gauges
  • 15x6.5 +18 JDM Load Racing Wheels
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R Tires

When I first got her she was literally tied together with wire and zip ties, the electrical harness was a birds nest and everything rattled (more than it does now) - but I got it for a steal of a deal with the engine and diff installed and just had to do all the work to get it to where it is now. Still got lots to do, but here are some photos to show where I started and where it is now.

The night I got it:

dscn2668.jpg

dscn2673.jpg

dscn2795.jpg

Started work:

dscn2874.jpg

dscn2791.jpg

dscn2783.jpg

dscn2780.jpg

dscn2695.jpg

9" H233B pathfinder Diff shortened and fitted with Disk brakes

dscn2682.jpg

dscn2984.jpg

coming together

dscn2973.jpg

dscn2943.jpg

dscn3048.jpg

dscn3017.jpg

dscn3016.jpg

dscn3021.jpg

dscn3029.jpg

img_0060.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very cool. I have a 1200 sedan too (in NZ) mine is getting an sr20de though. Please revert back to round headlights though they look so much better than the late truck setup! :D

Quick question though, why is it still got leaves and 4 link, is that just a temporary measure until you can sort out coilovers for the rear?

Personally if keeping leaves i'd be losing the the top links and using just the bottom ones for anti tramp. As I imagine with the 4 link and leaves there is a high chance you'll be getting suspension bind if pushed hard enough (which equals snap oversteer). Having said that if its just got rubber bushes in the links they have a sh1t tonnes of compliance so you might be alright.

Anyway Awesome car :)

P1010524.jpg

Custom S13 -> B110 Castor/Tension Rods - Made from S13 tension rods, cut off the bushing end, drill and tap with 1/2" bit, use grade 8 1/2" bolt and nuts with locktite

P1010523.jpg

More photos of the diff and 4 link

diff2.jpg

DSCN2803.jpg

fendersd rolled with wooden baseball bat :)

P1010506.jpg

Bride racing seat

P1010494.jpg

DSCN3343.jpg

thanks everyone for the compliments, really means allot. I had every intention of painting this car and making it look really awesome, but the more rat dats i see, and the longer i have had the car, i have fell in love with the ugly brown/red and quirky square lights and truck grill unsure.gif

My next bit of work will be on the rear suspension and drive train, as there is allot of clunking, rattling and work needed there.. currently the leaf springs are in there because the Tein Coilovers for the rear cant fit in the standar Sedan rear strut mounts. I was thinking of taking off the springs and just using the strut and get some AE86 rear adjustable springs and fitting them where the leaf springs mount now. thats going to take allot of measuring, mounting, dismantling and refitting to get right.

My diff is from a 89-98 Pathfinder and is welded up by the previous owner, it's got allot of play in it and i think it has some torn up gears in it, it drives like total crap at low speeds and along with the really ridged rear suspension causes crazy snap over steer at the moment. I found a factory LSD diff assembly in the junkyard, so looking to grab that. Also need to replace all the rear bushings and inspect the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate as there is some weird rattling (think the synchros in the gearbox are toast), thinking of getting a lightweight flywheel and a good stage 2 clutch kit.

Also have to get a fuel cell and mount my swirl pot and another walbro pump and filters in the trunk, refit my 4 point harnesses, install my passenger Bride seat, new bullet mirrors, about 30 sheets of Dynamat, replace the turbo manifold and install GT28R, 550's, 300zx AFM and Greddy EManage Blue, get her dynoed and make a new list of things to do :)

. In the new year I'll be entering allot fo drift, autocross and other events so I'll post the photos and vids and keep ya'll up to date on whats going on, also got myself a GoPro HD Hero video camera with car mounts. so I'll be posting some vids from that.

hey everyone, happy new year to you all. I have taken some time and inspected the diff and it seems that all the seals and bearings are gone, so I am going to pull the entire thing out and replace it with a H145 or H150 from a B210 (or a KE30 corolla if i can find one)

I'll rebuild the H235B in the meanwhile depending on how the H145 works out.

@ggzilla, sorry i dont know Winzie, have never seen another sedan in this color in my country huh.gif

on another note saw a A15 in a local junkyard with some mukuni side drafts (the guy "says" it has a race cam in it) and some other bits, very very tempted to buy it :) but i have to sort out my driveline and rear suspension fist.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixRjCSTZhQ

got myself a go pro and made a lil vid the other day...

been thinking of converting to a high compression CA with ITB's and no turbo... blink.gif i know i know... they dont make good torque, why take out the turbo etc... but hey, how many CA's on 4ag 20v quad throttles have you ever seen... in a 1200?? laugh.gif if it doesnt work, i will slap on a plenum and put back the turbo bits..

Parts List i'm thinking of:

CA18DE Head

Ported, Polished, 3 angle valve job

Solid Lifters, double springs, new retainers, 280 cams

12-1 CR custom forged pistons

ARP rod and head bolts

20v Silver top Quad Throttle Bodies

370cc Injectors

MAFT Pro piggy back EMS (eliminates the AFM, replaces with speed density tuning via MAP & TPS)

http://www.maftpro.com/tproinfo.shtml

it's either that or i'm going SR20 with Quad throttles (or even webbers :P) and N16 sr16 cams etc.. i'll rock my current turbo setup till i either get a SR or pick up the spare CA18 head from the guy down the road and start building the head.. already found the 20v throttles, just waiting for the guy to drop them off...

please give me your thoughts and opinions are welcomed also...

Bez

Nice to see a build from a fellow Caribbean islander (i’m originally from Barbados). I like the progress on your build so far! Very interesting suspension choice in the front. How much further does it bring out the wheel compared to stock?

Also, check your PM when you get a chance. :cool:

• 3 months later...

hey Super X, it brings out the front about 1" on either side

I just installed a sway bar from god knows what car, and some poly bushings for the clamps and linkages... have not driven it yet as i am waiting on some parts.. some nice updates coming soon along with new vids :P

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...