• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thats my step dad helping out.:D ^^^^^^

they gotta be good for something right :lol: :lol:

good progress I wish I had someone to help me, btw who is going to do your wiring I need mine done also exept it is for a datsun 510

Dunno if its relevant to you, but the 240sx guys that keep their KA will swap out the 5 speed computer for one out of an automatic car. I believe the automatic computers are not speed/rev limited. Should be pretty easy to find one in a Jyard if you want to get some more rpm's out of her

Guest DatsuNoob

Ive been looking at other peoples builds and Ive seen that they use the 5 speed that comes with the L series... How is this possible and does this work better then using the tranny from the KA...:blink:

Well, all Nissan 2.4L engines basically share the same bolt pattern from an L24, Z24, KA24 etc. So using a bell housing from say a Z24 onto your dual cam KA allows you to pick your tranny to bolt up (provided the back end of the bell fits the gearbox of course) that matches the driveline you already have. No need to get a new one made or anything, just find a bell, possible input shaft and countershaft bearing swap (easy thing to do if you have a gear puller), put the 2 halves together with some good sealant like Hondabond or Yamabond, and bolt it all back up. I noticed however that my KA sat forward about 1 inch @ the carrier bearing mount from it's original position, and the motor is back pretty damn far in the engine bay. I'm reworking a more satisfactory mounting system for all that.

Ive been looking at other peoples builds and Ive seen that they use the 5 speed that comes with the L series... How is this possible and does this work better then using the tranny from the KA...:blink:

Why the change of hart for not using the ka trany? It's not hard to do the minor fab work to use the ka trans. I like it has smoother shifts and tighter feel in the gears. Just slot your L trany mount cut down the drive shaft and dust cover.

Why the change of hart for not using the ka trany? It's not hard to do the minor fab work to use the ka trans. I like it has smoother shifts and tighter feel in the gears. Just slot your L trany mount cut down the drive shaft and dust cover.

No change. Just wondering, I wasnt sure why others were doing it, and if it was a better idea or not.:D

Ya it's basically so you don't have to do any driveshaft work. You have to do the bellhousing swap to get the correct 'lean' with the L series trans.

I just used a 5-speed that was behind a Z24 and out of a 720 which is the same length as the stock L series trans. Bolted up to the KA and right into the stock holes in the crossmember.