Chevy V8 in a 620

pharouh

I bought a July 78 issue of Hot Rod mag from egay the other day because it had an article about putting a V8 in a 620.I scanned it and here it is.If you can't read this good enough,pm me and I'll email bigger pics.

they had a kit,and it still wasn't easy. real tight in a lot of places. Enjoy!

v8_1.jpg

v8_2.jpg

v8_3.jpg

v8_4.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think a v8 in a 620 would handle better than my V8 S-10. The frame of the 620 is much more stout than a chevy S-10. When I get on my S-10, I can feel it flex and in the corners, with stock suspension, it leans far enough to pick the rear tire off the road. I think V8ing a 620 would be alot better all around, better traction, handling, and a little lighter. The only downside to a 620 would be the drum brakes in most years vs the s-10 have good working factory disk brakes.

If I was to V8 a 620, I would use a ford 302 because they are more narrow, lighter, sound better, and make plenty of power. I would also use a 5 speed manual transmission.

Here is a video of me beating on my v8 s-10.... a couple days before the fuel pump went out.

• 9 years later...

Very cool. Found this old post, which I have been looking for, for some time now. Last year I bought a 1973 Datsun 620 with a Chevy 327, Powerglide 2spd trans and Ford 9" rear end. It was purchased from an estate for a ridiculous price (cheap) It had been parked since 1982!. After getting it home, I was able to confirm this was a fresh, never fired 327. IE; someones V8 conversion project that was never completed. Im currently rewiring it due to rodents munching on the engine harness. Its SUPER solid, rust free, with perfect patina to its totally original yellow paint. Truck had been parked in the high desert of So Cal, which was a good thing. Thanks to O.P.'s original post, I just bought the 7/78 issue of Hot Rod, as Im kind of reverse engineer the truck, just to get it running. I will post up some pics when I upload them to my Laptop

• Like 5