STRUTS ???

72nismo

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand yes on all counts, but I cannot confirm that.

I just did a little checking on compatability, the calipers and rotors are the same, as are the strut inserts, I think this is conclusive enought to say that the struts are the same.

Is this going from a 610 to a 510 or the other way around?

There is something different about the 610 struts from the 510 struts, but I cannot remember exactly. Both use the same strut cartridge. You really want the late (post '75) 610 struts, as they have a beefier lower spindle. Why not upgrade to the 280ZX brakes instead?? Easier to find, and vented rotors instead of the solid rotors the 610 came with. Also, the brake hardware is NLA for the stock 610 calipers...

The situation is this. I was looking for ZX struts for the 610. But haven't been lucky enough to find some. So a friend of mine is selling me some 510 struts that are already set up with coilovers. So since we just want to add wheels and drop the 610 that is why I was asking about the 510 struts working on the 610.

NO..... no .... and no ............. I'd imagine the 610 struts are more similar to 710 struts

The 710 hubs DO NOT fit 510 spindles ........ the 710 spindles are bigger than 510 spindles ..... the bearings are different,, and the rotors have a larger center bore on a 710

So a big brake kit for 510 struts doesn't fit a 710 hub

If you can get 510 struts and hubs/brakes ...... then yes ..... 510 struts will fit in a 610 no problem ...... 280zx struts will fit too (with coilovers or smaller spring perches)

Just to recap: .... 510 hubs DO NOT fit 610 struts....... and 610 hubs DO NOT fit 510 struts ......... . you will need the 510 hubs and brakes too

Going by part numbers the 510 and 610 up to July '73 used the same inner and outer wheel bearings and hub.

Aug '73 ('74 model year) the 610 and the start of the 710s both used the same inner and outer bearings as the '79 and on 280zx.

This might indicate that the earliest 610 up to the '74 model year, still used the old 510 spindle. From '74 on the 610 and 710 had the same spindle as the 280zx.

Going by part numbers the 510 and 610 up to July '73 used the same inner and outer wheel bearings and hub.

Aug '73 ('74 model year) the 610 and the start of the 710s both used the same inner and outer bearings as the '79 and on 280zx.

This might indicate that the earliest 610 up to the '74 model year, still used the old 510 spindle. From '74 on the 610 and 710 had the same spindle as the 280zx.

Just remembered 610 is a 74 and 510 struts are from 71.

So u are saying they will work Datzenmike??

Just remembered 610 is a 74 and 510 struts are from 71.

So u are saying they will work Datzenmike??

Sorry, no. All I can say with certainty is there was an inner and outer bearing change beginning in '74. Before the 610 spindle bearings matched the 510 and after they matched the 280zx.

if your taking complete 510 strut asemblies it will work but i would just wait for a set of 280zx why do the work twice

Very good point. I've heard variations on this, but a guy I know always says:

I can never seam to find the time to do it right, but I can always find the time to do it twice.

Oddly enough though, he seams to do stuff right more often than most people I know, but hey.

Very good point. I've heard variations on this, but a guy I know always says:

I can never seam to find the time to do it right, but I can always find the time to do it twice.

Oddly enough though, he seams to do stuff right more often than most people I know, but hey.

my dad has told me that all my life thats why theres no interior in my car because i would have to pull it all out to do some welding so why do it twice lol