my new 521

dat521gatherer

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HeHe. Thanks I hope to do the other side tomorrow. I may be out of the grove by then but I'll surly come by and help you guys stuff yours into your oven :lol: . Nothin better than A self cleaning datsun :D :P

I've been screwing around with making some inner engine compartment mud flaps. I may make a few on the side to sell. I have the right side done and will do the left side soon.

SANY1764.jpg

SANY1768.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HeHe. Thanks I hope to do the other side tomorrow. I may be out of the grove by then but I'll surly come by and help you guys stuff yours into your oven :lol: . Nothin better than A self cleaning datsun :D :P

I've been screwing around with making some inner engine compartment mud flaps. I may make a few on the side to sell. I have the right side done and will do the left side soon.

SANY1764.jpg

SANY1768.jpg

Nice work.

• 2 months later...

Thanks. I just used basic stuff. Simple green and a green brillo pad and a brush. The left side that takes all the tire abuse was harder so I used a small amount of comet on it.

I was gonna ask exactly this. Is that your method for everything? Do you have different techniques for different kinds of parts? What did you do about the clear plastic bits in the interior?

I'm super impressed with your patience and skill at cleaning this truck up. Good work.

• 6 months later...

looks good,keep up the good work.are you going to remove the gvw 4000 on the side of the truck.

I have the dealer receipt from when it was put on in the early 70's I would like to look in to finding some new ones or having some vinyl ones made for when I have the bed painted. I know there are some ratsun vinyl makers on here.

Receipt dates 8-16-71 with 648 miles $1.75 a set.

Says cole screenprint inc Tacoma,wa

SANY6057.jpg

I tried to order all new smog hoses after finding almost all the ends cracked. Nissan only had one out of four available so I just went ahead and desmogged it. This is the first time out of four I wasn't able to get the pipes out of the exhaust manifold so I ended up taking off the manifolds. I had another exhaust manifold and had the machine shop resurface both ends.

SANY5620.jpg

SANY5623.jpg

SANY5632.jpg

I bought all new gaskets from nissan. Then I ordered all new hardware and it took over a month and a phone call to find out what was going on so I just used some old hardware I had. I also bought a new or rebuilt hitachi 328 carb.

SANY6040.jpg

SANY6041.jpg

SANY6044.jpg

Also put in a new choke firewall grommet.

SANY6045.jpg

Some new hood bumpers too. These ones from ebay are softer than I would like.

SANY6047.jpg

I hate bed mats. I work at a truck accessory shop. Quickest way to kill a bed is a bed mat or bed liner. The problem is that they trap moisture, they are always rusty.

The damage has already been done. See page one. This just makes it look nicer. I will either swap my red 521 bed onto it or find another bed. The side panel seam rust is very bad.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently swapping out my heater box cause it looks like shit and I'm unfreezing the valve. Most people unknowingly break off the white heater knob thinking they can get it to move again. Doesn't work. This is what makes the white heater knob so rare. Even grabbing the valve with pliers will end up breaking the soft brass tip of the valve off where the screw goes like the front two in this pic.

SANY6696_zps7ce1914a.jpg

So what I do is take out the heater assembly or you can just remove the face of the heater via the three clips and slide the core out leaving the box in. Then I remove the screw that keeps the valve from coming out and then pound out the valve with a 3/8 wooden dowel. Some wd-40 or similar helps. Afterwords I took some 1000 grit sand paper to the valve just lightly enough to make it move nicely again. I pray that the flat style o-ring will still work holding the water back.

SANY6687_zpsdf0b280c.jpg

SANY6689_zpsd38c0311.jpg

Dont loose the little screw.

SANY6688_zpsdf9eff5b.jpg

I dug out as many pine needles as I could with a copper wire strand and a pair of tweezers.

SANY6694_zpsab8aa735.jpg

Here is the old and new side by side.

SANY6699_zpseb384cd2.jpg

Half way there. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the disintegrated foam that holds the core to the housing box.

• Like 1