'84 maxima - looks and shifts smooth, high (250,000 + maybe) miles

'85 720 - looks good, shifts good

'81 z - "b" shifter

'77 z - shifts well, miles ???

'77 620 - been sitting for a LONG time

'88 KA24E - 5spd, will it fit?

what is best?

Mike

The Maxima tranny will have the L bolt pattern. Was it a dogleg long tail? The ratios are the same as the '77 280Z below.

The '85 720 will have the Z series bolt pattern and:

1st....2nd....3rd...4th...5th

3.592 2.057 1.361 1 0.813 (similar to the '77 620 below but for 2nd and 3rd gears)

The '81 280Z has L pattern and has:

1st....2nd....3rd...4th..5th

3.062 1.858 1.308 1 0.745

The '77 280 Z has L pattern with:

3.321 2.077 1.308 1 0.864

The '77 620 has L pattern and :

3.592 2.246 1.415 1 0.813

'88 KA is a FS5W71C and the NAPS pattern. Can't quote ratios with any certainty.

None are better than the other but depends what you want to do with it. Heavy truck, lighter car? Stop and go driving or racing where you don't or rarely stop? Highway cruising and gas mileage or acceleration important? Smaller L16 or larger L or LZhybrid?

None are better than the other but depends what you want to do with it. Heavy truck, lighter car? Stop and go driving or racing where you don't or rarely stop? Highway cruising and gas mileage or acceleration important? Smaller L16 or larger L or LZhybrid?

It is going into a 521 with a current 4 spd. It is the longer (31.5 inch) 620 where my driveshaft is already cut down. I want highway cruising and some form of speed. the engine is either going to be L20b or LZ hybrid.

No racing, mostly everyday use...

also found a '71 510 with a 1600 and 5spd... no idea on yr

Id go w/ the 81 Z trans. All you'd have to do is shorten the trans mount a bit & swap the mounts. I can help weld the mount if need be,should be the same size as mine [82 ZX trans.] Remember use the truck throw out bearing & clutch slave. When your ready bring it down & we can have it done in 1 day :D

It is going into a 521 with a current 4 spd. It is the longer (31.5 inch) 620 where my driveshaft is already cut down. I want highway cruising and some form of speed. the engine is either going to be L20b or LZ hybrid.

No racing, mostly everyday use...

also found a '71 510 with a 1600 and 5spd... no idea on yr

If it was a car with a larger or hybrid motor I would definately go with the '81 Zcar tranny. Very tall first gear, but light car so should by fine. For a heavier truck that may carry cargo I would favor the '77 620 tranny with it's lower take off 1st gear. It still has a pretty good o/d 5th. Splitting hairs, whatever you choose will work fine I'm sure. The '81 would be a slightly stronger tranny than the early truck one I think. (and newer)

The 620 driveshaft will slide right into the Z trans. If the truck had a longtail trans. [longer in length] stock you wont have to shorten the front shaft. Also the front of th e521 shaft has another U joint that bolts to this part that slides into the trans...

5-8flangein5speed.jpg

stock theres a bolt holding this part in place but it'll have to be welded up so that trans. fluid doesnt leak out...

5-11flangewelded.jpg

the front of the U joint has a small lip that will have to be ground flat..this pic is before i ground it down...you can see the U joint & the yoke arent flush...

6-5shaft.jpg

The throw out bearing simply slides right off of the center spline of the trans. The Z T/O bearing is the one in my hand..you can see the diff. in size...

5-7TObearings.jpg