My 1981 720

FHMan1905

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that fuel filter in the pic could be due to be replaced when you boil the tank. and if you want an idea what all you can lose in smog crap, check my thread "lil mule".

Old pic....have a new fuel filter on it now :)

Was only temporary.....that Z24 engine is getting replaced with an LZ23.

Had the Weber on another truck with all the emissions removed....but then converted to EFI

another question!!!!! I was messing with the truck again today and noticed that the clutch pedal just feels dead, no tension on it at all....Slave cylinder?

Could be....should be able to see a leak.... somewhere.

When checking the master cylinder, also have a look on the backside of it, inside the truck, underneath the dash

More questions...(sorry i promise i am not a complete idiot, well yeah i kind of am, when it comes to this truck!!) I have the under tailgate taillights and all the lenses are busted...anywhere besides over seas i could get a set of these...new or used as long as they are not broke or cracked?

Also...how in the hell do just the headlights come off....or do you have to take off the whole assembly. I was just assuming those were just standard square lights you can buy at any parts store!

• Like 1

I believe there is a small metal band that holds the light into the 'bucket'

Phillips screw driver.....just make sure you remove the right screws...the others will adjust the beam.

Might have to pull the grill to access....not knowing... ;) ....usually just change trucks when the lights calve :lol: :lol:

The clear plastic covers for the license plate lights...?.

If those are broken....I'll assume the sockets are rusted?

The covers will be much easier to locate....compared to the sockets.

I have some....metric though.....very rare and expensive :lol:

I believe there is a small metal band that holds the light into the 'bucket'

Phillips screw driver.....just make sure you remove the right screws...the others will adjust the beam.

Might have to pull the grill to access....not knowing....usually just change trucks when the lights calve :lol: :lol:

The clear plastic covers for the license plate lights...?.

If those are broken....I'll assume the sockets are rusted?

The covers will be much easier to locate....compared to the sockets.

I have some....metric though.....very rare and expensive :lol:

No i have the taillights that run along the bottom under the tailgate...don't need license plate lights....actual tail light brake light and turn signal covers

Like these

25550130009_large.jpg

i will have to look tomorrow...can't remember if they are two or three piece lenses...i know they can be removed...just don't remember how many actual lenses are to each set

I think that's why I still have them....and or didn't throw them away.

Most likely scenario.... has only 1, or less ,..lens broke in the whole assembly.

Maybe

The tanks should, specially within the same model like reg cab short wheelbase to reg cab short wheelbase. I believe there are 7 different tanks, one each for the reg cab short wheelbase 2 and 4 wd, reg cab long wheelbase 2 and 4 wd, King Cab 2 and 4 wd and the diesel.

I believe the only structural differences between the tanks.....is that the KC tanks are 'notched' at the top/front to fit under the longer cab

I put a 81 Reg cab tank in a 84 reg cab....there are differences between the sending units. Just get the tank...pull the sending unit, inspect....then plug it into your harness. Move the lever on the sending unit....if your gas gauge doesn't also move....it's NFG....or your wiring ;)

I know it works...because it would move when i still had the old gas in the tank....but when i dropped the tank i broke the ground wire right at the soldered fitting on the sending unit...any ideas?

I'd be tempted to pull it anyways....and inspect.

If the tank is NFG...one would assume the sending unit might also be going south.

Then when it's removed.....if it looks good....re solder the ground.

The other tank has no S.U.?