My 1981 720

FHMan1905

Just wanted to say hi. I have a 1981 720 with a z22 powerplant. My dad bought this truck brand new and I am not in the process of getting it going as a little beat around truck. I have already ordered a few parts and now just dealing with the normal issues of a truck that has sat for about 10 years!!! Going to drop the gas tank and have it boiled and steamed here locally. Truck still runs like a champ with fresh gas. Ordered a new weber carb conversion, so i am pretty anxious to get that in!

19133_101886443175132_100000613305502_59934_7883131_n.jpg

Just wanted to say hi....I will have tons of questions along the way!!!!

Lance

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got back in town today to find my new weber sitting in the office!!!! Looks like i have some plans saturday....any tips or tricks from anyone who has done this?

Easy install...obviously you have no smog testing?

Your Weber should have come with a 2 piece IM adapter for your Z22.

Also need a fuel pressure regulator...set at 2.5-3lb.

Edit

This is a actual Weber?.....or a knock off?

Edited by Sealik

Hmmm....mine sits 180 degrees the other way....with the elec choke facing the pass side

P1030009.jpg

Yeah but if i did it that way the throttle cable doesn't reach, so i figured a few extra of 10ga wire compared to throttle cable would be easier!!! The only question i still have is my throttle cable has the lead "ball" on the end to keep it from pulling out, but the trunnion on the weber only has a small hole for the cable to go through....seems like the cable just slides through the hole and then tighten down the nut and washers to sandwich the cable?...will the cable not pull out?

Also...i notice you have the same plug I had going to the factory choke....but my plug broke...which blue wire do I need to tap into to run the wire onto the choke?

Yeah but if i did it that way the throttle cable doesn't reach, so i figured a few extra of 10ga wire compared to throttle cable would be easier!!! The only question i still have is my throttle cable has the lead "ball" on the end to keep it from pulling out, but the trunnion on the weber only has a small hole for the cable to go through....seems like the cable just slides through the hole and then tighten down the nut and washers to sandwich the cable?...will the cable not pull out?

Also...i notice you have the same plug I had going to the factory choke....but my plug broke...which blue wire do I need to tap into to run the wire onto the choke?

The Weber should come with an extra 'trunnion' that will enable to run the stock cable....no cutting

Cable is long enough.....mine worked fine....even on the Z22 I initially put it on

Just find a (blue) 12V wire...powered up with key on

P1090048-1.jpg

The Weber should come with an extra 'trunnion' that will enable to run the stock cable....no cutting

Cable is long enough.....mine worked fine....even on the Z22 I initially put it on

Just find a (blue) 12V wire...powered up with key on

P1090048-1.jpg

Yeah it had a different trunnion on it orginally, but i don't see how it will work either....I am not an expert at this kind of stuff...diesels yes, this stuff no...sorry for all the questions

Yeah it had a different trunnion on it orginally, but i don't see how it will work either....I am not an expert at this kind of stuff...diesels yes, this stuff no...sorry for all the questions

I might of used the trunnion from the Hitachi...????...been a few years.... :)

There is a threaded fitting coming out of the intake in front of the carb with three vacuum lines to it....what is that?....A wrenched slipped today and broke off one of the vacuum nozzles and now sprays small about of fuel out....either need to buy a new one so i can cap all the vacuum lines, or take the whole fitting out and plug the hole in the intake with a bolt!

There is a threaded fitting coming out of the intake in front of the carb with three vacuum lines to it....what is that?....A wrenched slipped today and broke off one of the vacuum nozzles and now sprays small about of fuel out....either need to buy a new one so i can cap all the vacuum lines, or take the whole fitting out and plug the hole in the intake with a bolt!

TVV?.....Thermal vacuum valve...(I think)......A plastic fitting?

No gas should be coming out of it....just coolant if it's broke.

Wax is heated by warm IM coolant and just 'opens' it up, thus air can now pass through (top) it. It won't leak if there are no hoses attached to it.

Plug it, if it's NFG.....other wise it can be left as is, per pic

Here's one....colored blue

pcv.jpg

Pull and cap all the lines.....including the EGR

that is basically what it looks like...i just assumed gas since it was on the intake....I guess i will just take it out and find a bolt to match the threads and plug it. I have removed all my vac lines just haven't capped them yet. Since i am not inspected or have to worry about smog i have been told the only one i need is the distributor vac line

that is basically what it looks like...i just assumed gas since it was on the intake....I guess i will just take it out and find a bolt to match the threads and plug it. I have removed all my vac lines just haven't capped them yet. Since i am not inspected or have to worry about smog i have been told the only one i need is the distributor vac line

There is 1(?) vacuum switch which controls your EM plugs, on your passenger fender....which you will most likely be disconnecting also.

Just make sure that all of your 8 plugs are firing when all is said and done.

The 83+ has a white wire coming from the dizzy and when this is unplugged.....all 8 plugs fire....all the time.