swap

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to put a LS1 into a 510, dont ask us if its a good idea. We will say no. (We are Datsun/Nissan enthusiasts it would seem).

Talk to your friends and see what there ideas are. IF you do plan on doing it, dont ask any questions (at least dont on specific LS1 stuff). Simply do the swap. You can kinda see what I mean with the guy who is doing a Honda S2000 swap into his car.

But whatever you do, dont quit the project, and dont hack the car up.

But personally, I would not unless it is to be a drag car. I just dont want the weight of that V8 in the car. A V6 could be cool as it could sit farther back.

Is it possible? Yes

Is it is easy? No.

Can you do it? Doubtful, unless you have crazy mad skills, or piles of cash.

Should you do it? No, because invariably you will start, cut up a decent car, get bogged down with all the work, stop, and end up hauling it to the scrapper, and we all don't want to see that.

Skib, I got this one covered.

Other reasons not to do it: it's stupid, 510s are more about driving to enjoy them than smoking everybody on the street, and an LS1 up front would make a 510 not fun to drive. Why? the suspension would be all fucked up, with a crazy front weight bias, and you'd have too much power to be able to use the throttle.

• Like 2

Make sure you have a lot of money, time and fabrication skills. If not, dont do it. If you are asking us about it, im guessing you dont. I am not flaming you, just dont want to see another 510 hacked up, sitting in a garage then sold for scrap/parts later on. happens all the time

what do u guys think or know about swaping a ls1 in a 510 datsun

Some thoughts:

The stock motor weighs about 250 pounds. I have no interest in LS1 engines so I have no idea what they weigh maybe a little less that twice as much. So no mater how much power they make, the front end is going to have to carry and turn with all the added weight. No amount of suspension work will cure this.

It would be fair to say that if your car can go from 0 to 120 in 12 seconds then it had better be able to go from 120 to 0 in 12 seconds or less. The stock brakes are for a 2,200 lb car that goes 70 tops. The biggest and most important safety device in your car is the brakes. The 510 brake technology is 40 years old! Before I did anything I would upgrade the brakes and tires.

More power means that the next weakest link in the drive train will be the next in line to break. The R-160 diff won't handle an LS1 for long. Replace with an R-200 and install and LSD.

Up to you but I would consider a roll bar and cage for this. I'm not a fan of them but this is an exception. An added bonus is adding structural strength and rigidity to the chassis. More than tripling the hp you'll need it.

I haven't even mentioned suspension mods

LS1 weighs about the same if not less then a vg30dett and there have been 510's swapped with that. I saw a thread a while back that showed all the nissan motor weights and had the ls1 and ls6 weight as well as some other motors listed but i cant find it now

A12 - - - - - - 87 kg 192 lbs

A14 93 kg 205 lbs

L18 - - - - - - 118 kg 260 lbs

CA18ET 118 kg 260 lbs

QR25DE - - - - - 121 kg 267 lbs

CA18DET 128 kg 282 lbs

SR20DE - - - - - 139 kg 306 lbs

SR20DET 149 kg 328 lbs

FJ20ET - - - - - 166 kg 366 lbs

Z20 157 kg 346 lbs

KA24DE - - - - - 167 kg 368 lbs (estimated)

VG30 166 kg 360 lbs

VQ35 - - - - - 142 kg 313 lbs

VG30DETT 277 kg 510-610 lbs

Ford 2.8 V6-60 - - 138 kg 305 lbs

Ford 3.8 V6-90 159 kg 351 lbs

Ford 3.0 SHO V6-60 - 211 kg 465 lbs

Ford 3.2 SHO V8-60 177+ kg 390+ lbs

B/O/P/Rover 215 V8 - 145 kg 318 lbs

Ford 5.0 204 kg 450 lbs

Chevrolet 350V8 - - 250 kg 550 lbs

Chevy LS2 6.0 220 kg 485 lbs

Chevy LS7 7.0 - - 208 kg 458 lbs

Hemi 392 337 kg 745 lbs

I know LS1's are drift engines. What I mean by that is I have seen them in countless drift cars, including numerous 240sx, and even a 350z. I actually personally know a kid who is sponsored drifter with his 240sx. He had a SR20DET but has since swaped to a LS1.

There's nothing wrong with an LS1, provided it stays the heck out of a 510. Here's a better idea, go buy a Corvette. For all the money and time you've wasted trying to make a V8 510 handle well, you could have just bought a Corvette and been done with it.

I'm not going to lie. A C6 or newer, hell even a C5, will straight up spank a 510 for handling and acceleration, and top speed, short of a full race car setup. And used Corvettes can be had damn near as cheap as the amount of money it would cost to properly build a 510 with V8, tube frame, etc.

Some ideas just weren't meant to come to fruition unless you can do it all yourself.

no im not 19 and im doing to be diffrent and in not going to start it and make it go to waist beacause the car is in the body shop getting paint so i would have to finish no mater what and my friiend done some wird swap but there a little more commen so its ether ls1 or cobra motor i get them for cheap he only charging me $300 for him to put it inb and do custom mounts

There's nothing wrong with an LS1, provided it stays the heck out of a 510. Here's a better idea, go buy a Corvette. For all the money and time you've wasted trying to make a V8 510 handle well, you could have just bought a Corvette and been done with it.

I'm not going to lie. A C6 or newer, hell even a C5, will straight up spank a 510 for handling and acceleration, and top speed, short of a full race car setup. And used Corvettes can be had damn near as cheap as the amount of money it would cost to properly build a 510 with V8, tube frame, etc.

Some ideas just weren't meant to come to fruition unless you can do it all yourself.

depending on the driver me and sss510 where pulling faster times at the drags then the new corvet guys. It was kind of sad

no im not 19 and im doing to be diffrent and in not going to start it and make it go to waist beacause the car is in the body shop getting paint so i would have to finish no mater what and my friiend done some wird swap but there a little more commen so its ether ls1 or cobra motor i get them for cheap he only charging me $300 for him to put it inb and do custom mounts

ok so you have one thing handled mounts! That's the easy part. If I was to do a ls1 510 I would do the swap before I paint . You are going to have too cut out the floor and the fire wall and cage it. My sr has half the torque and horse power of a ls1 and it is all ready stretching and warping the body on my car. not to mention you will have to set the engine back to help with weight transfer front to bask and to make room for the rad. Then you are going to have to tub the shit out of it because you will nead 10inch wide tires just to hook up. I cant get traction 1st through 3rd on my car if I step on it.

The only reason we are trying to discourage you is because we have seen many guys with big dreams pore skills and friends who say I can do it but get burnt out on a project and end up destroying a perfectly good car.

Trust me anything in a dime over 175 at the wheels is a hand full. Even with proper set up suspension rack and pinion and good tires .

Haha, that makes me feel soooo good! Nothing is better than stomping a newer car with old technology.

And don't forget, Pete Brock's car had 12" cut out of the firewall to put the motor in correct placement. And there is some debate whether that is an LS1 or not. Some of my Chevy buddies were looking at the heads saying they were the old version, and not that efficient? I don't know, I can't tell a good Chevy block from a hot rock. Never had any use for a 350. Oh yeah, and don't forget, Pete Brock's car still has drum brakes in the rear. :D

And to the original poster, first mistake. You just had the car getting paint, and now you're going to try and put the motor in? You better be REALLY careful with that new soft paint, because I guarantee it will scratch easily. A 350 doesn't just fit in there with room to spare. It would be better to get everything fabbed up and finish, yank it out, let it sit somewhere warm to dry for a month, then reinstall everything.

• 2 years later...

an sr20 build would be just as expensive if not more

u can score a used ls 200-800 bucks depending size and source...ford 9 inch cheap .....autozone or jdm

hard to find cheap sr20 and r200 diff

then a turbo system just to make it as fast as the v8.....

ka sr build probably will cost more

my name feels good in your mouth