1971 PL521

nevada

ok took another look at the truck this evening. it appears that the lever spotted by H2theizzo is the transfer case range selector. I am hoping to get it moved out of there so i can start cleaning it up and see what i have in mid-January. I am still looking for a place to store it at the moment as i will be relocating here in January as well.

From what i can tell it seems like it would be cheaper to buy a rebuilt motor to put in it than rebuild the current one. this sound right or is my thinking wrong on this?

thanks!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok took another look at the truck this evening. it appears that the lever spotted by H2theizzo is the transfer case range selector. I am hoping to get it moved out of there so i can start cleaning it up and see what i have in mid-January. I am still looking for a place to store it at the moment as i will be relocating here in January as well.

From what i can tell it seems like it would be cheaper to buy a rebuilt motor to put in it than rebuild the current one. this sound right or is my thinking wrong on this?

thanks!

So far I have bought good running ones from wrecking yards with some kind of warranty/guarantee, or I have bought a whole truck with a good engine that I parted out. Since the engine is apart and you never know if all the engine parts are there anymore, it might be easier just to buy a completely rebuilt one with a guarantee and put it together, keep in mind that most the truck will have to be checked/rebuilt/replaced as it has been sitting a long time, you know what I am talking about, brake and clutch systems, tranny and rearend fluids, get all the lights working, ect. Evict all the rodents also. wayno

• 1 month later...

I stopped by and took another look at the truck. there is a transfer case lever on the floor as suspected although it does not seem to be attached. i looked at the engine block and it appears it is a L 1.6 per the stamp. not sure if anyone is following this thread still but there it is lol. i am hoping to get it moved here soon. im kind of stuck at the moment as i dont know if i will be staying in my current house. that is why i have not moved it yet. anyways i hope everyone is doing well.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

ok i spent some time gathering the parts for the truck and putting them into the bed today to get it ready to move. as it turns out the head was no there. apparently the ex took it with him thinking he would be taking the truck at some point. the intake manifold was there but the carbs were missing. it looked to be for a dual carb setup (SU's? maybe?). So i need to source another motor or some parts. probably easier to find a new motor. does the 2.0 work with the manual transmission used on the 1.6? this is all new to me so i am not even sure what i should be asking as far as this goes.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

by the looks of those spring packs up front it could carry the weight of a small block. yikes! Front diff i thought looked like suzuki samurai, did International harvester make any narrow width mini trucks? If it had a jeep axle up front it would be 5 bolt.

Weird little truck indeed, i love it. Might be worth it to track down the previous owner to see what he knows about it.

It looks like a datsun 620 5 spd. transmission, other than that I have not a clue, I don't know much about front strait axles nor transfer cases, but I don't beleave it's a 720 transfer case, probably jeep, but I could be wrong on that. Once you get it running I would be interested in knowing if it has a 4 wheel drive high mode? What I mean is, 2high-neutral-2low-4low or 2high-neutral-4high-4low, it looks like one of those two shafted jeep ones. wayno

Dana 30 front axle with custom 6-lug hubs (unless they are 5-lug). Should be a Dana 20 transfer case, hard to tell with the dirt on there.

Most of the Datsun 4x4 conversions used those parts. They are the same as the components use in the Jeep CJ5's.

Those locking hubs are Warn units, aftermarket and good quality. I have the same ones on my CJ5.

Your running the custom 6-lug hubs (really the only custom parts on the axle). You should be able to use stock Jeep bearings and parts in the front axle and the transfer case. The fwd nose bolted to the transfer case is another custom piece used to adapt the Dana 20 t-case to the Datsun drivetrain.

No International parts there, although International did use Dana components. Dana/Spicer is a major drivetrain component supplier for alot of auto manufacturers. ;)

• 3 months later...

That's bob's truck it has suzuki axles under it

My truck! Well, same color, and same (eventual) outcome~ but I'll have a more useable ride height/tire combo. Building a work truck~ not a toy/krawler.. who's Bob?

Hi,

i still have not got to the truck yet. too much going on at the moment. i did check it out some more and found that the rear hubs are marked toyota. i was told that supposedly in the 70's some shop did 20 conversions like this. anyone heard of that?

thanks!

This is Ratsun nevada, there isn't much that hasn't been done here at one time or another. There were a lot of conversions back then, as it is now, they had jeep front axles with toyota calipers using an adapter, not a very good setup today, but it was great back then. It wouldn't suprise me if you didn't find more foreign(not datsun) vehicle parts on your truck either, just like today, you make whatever you have available work. Haven't got your truck yet???

just to the right of the brown center console, kind of down, that black knob, looks like a xfer case arm. looks like it might have some padding on it too?

either that or its just something on the floor that looks like one from that pic :rofl:

d6.jpg

I wanted to ask about the if anybody knew about the center console thing. i really would like to find something that would fit in a 521. i believe a have a 620 center console but it blocks the lower heater vent if i put it in. But i have seen a few 521s with similar center consoles as the brown one here and i was just wondering if they were out of some other vehicle like a courier or something or if its just like a generic thing, or if anyone knows at all haha. thanks.