L20B oil pan removal

OGDatsun

I have a little problemo I tried to remove my oil pan to replace a leaking gasket and I had no luck in removing the damn thing.

I took off the steering linkage and still didnt have enough to pull it down.

if anyone had any pointers please let me know or I'll be posting a craigslist ad to get the damn thing out of my site.

thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When i replaced the pan gasket on my wagon i had to remove the motor mount bolts & jack up the motor until the trans was touching the firewall. Even then i didnt have alot of room to do the job. Took me 2 days & alot of cussing to figure it out.

• Like 1

What I did on the 620 with out taking out any supports or nothing is tie small ropes around the gasket. Remove all the bolts of oil pan gasket and yank off the old one. since my old gasket had no old silicone to clean off. I just had 1 inch of gap from engine and pan. I just maneuvered the new gasket over the oil screen and bolt it on. BAM DONE!

Is it reallllly that hard to do this gasket on a 510???? It took me 2 hours max on a 620 with only removing the oil pan bolts ...

Untitled-17.png

I spent 20 minutes cleaning the surface

I think i might just do what you did if all else fails.

Do i need to put a silicone!?!?!?

• 4 years later...

Hmmmm, I'm going to give this a go, I replaced my output shaft seal on the tranny and attempted to do the pan gasket and ran into clearance issues, so I tightened it all up and now the leak is worse, fucking cork gaskets :fu: I'll have to dig up the cherry picker from storage...

put a jack under the trans and loosen the mount bolts on the body side to raise motor up a inch or so.

raise the trans and motor will come up. then you can slightly lower the pan

hard part is getting the gasket under the pickup but I did it.

cork gaskets will split if over tightened.

no need to do the steering as then you got to realign again

• Like 1

Since the topic has been revived...

For a complete oil pan removal and replacement, the L20b has to be pulled completely. Plus I would like to clean the block.

Can I just remove the radiator (and errything else connecting), detach from transmission (dogleg), and pull forward to get the trans clear and lift up?

All the engine pull videos on YouTube for Lseries has them pulling engine and trans together.

DatsunMike posted this in another thread:

"The engine lifts up and out. Remove the battery FIRST THING. Next the distributor cap and wires to protect them from being broken. Take the hood off and radiator out.... if possible disconnect the hoses from the engine rather than from the rad. Remove plastic fan from water pump, (again to prevent breaking) removing the water pump is even better and gives more room. Disconnect the exhaust down pipe and the two heater hoses from the block and head. Unplug the engine harness plug just behind the alternator. Fuel line from the filter side of the mechanical pump."

source: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/66911-attempting-to-pull-the-engine-in-my-78-620-need-help/?p=1274039

Since the topic has been revived...

For a complete oil pan removal and replacement, the L20b has to be pulled completely. Plus I would like to clean the block.

Can I just remove the radiator (and errything else connecting), detach from transmission (dogleg), and pull forward to get the trans clear and lift up?

All the engine pull videos on YouTube for Lseries has them pulling engine and trans together.

DatsunMike posted this in another thread:

"The engine lifts up and out. Remove the battery FIRST THING. Next the distributor cap and wires to protect them from being broken. Take the hood off and radiator out.... if possible disconnect the hoses from the engine rather than from the rad. Remove plastic fan from water pump, (again to prevent breaking) removing the water pump is even better and gives more room. Disconnect the exhaust down pipe and the two heater hoses from the block and head. Unplug the engine harness plug just behind the alternator. Fuel line from the filter side of the mechanical pump."

source: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/66911-attempting-to-pull-the-engine-in-my-78-620-need-help/?p=1274039

Yes, you can do this. That's what I did the last 2 times. Pro tip(recently learned): removed the steering idler arm mount and let it drop down, that will help with clearance issues. 

Hey guys, here's the update, I took banzai510's route since my cherry picker is deep inside my storage, it took me 4 hrs but took my time and was not hard at all, you just need lots of patience and neck brakes :lol:

I used a rubber gasket you can get at NAPA, and it's Japanese!

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg

Oh, and thanks a million, banzai510!!!

• 2 years later...

This all seems extremely complicated for just an oil pan gasket.

There are two things under the pan on a 620, steering linkage, and the crossmember? Or whatever it is, couldnt the crossmember be removed to allow enough space?

If this is the case what do i have to do to remove the cross member?

Brace the motor from the top, unhook motor mounts, remove steering linkage. Might be able to just remove idler arm and lower it enough to get the pan out. Not sure... Remove steering knuckle bolts, disconnect sway bar, remove/lower crossmember.

Four large bolts and that cross brace under the 620 comes right out. The brace supports the front of the torsion bars. The steering cross rod can be removed by counting the turns until one of the tie rods disengages, then swing down out of way. Reverse exactly and your steering tow-in should be unaffected.