Thinking about buying 4x4 720....few questions

Wylder1324

Been looking around a little at picking up one of these to use as a runner......big Datto/Nissan nut but never gotten into this particular realm......any words of wisdom of things to watch out for, pros and cons of diff model years etc ? Any info to help me out in the process of weeding out th pretenders would be much appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will tell you alot of owners ignore lubricating the grease points on time. Bed rust is pretty common at the welded seam. If it runs it should be fun. If not, they aren't complicated at all.

They heavily rely on their vacuum system so if the lines look cracked replace them all one by one.

They are great trucks, have fun.

Check the cab mounts and rad support for any significant rust.

If you don't have smog testing.....yank all the emissions and slap on a 32/36.

I would hunt for a 85 ST......sunroof, PW and locks,tac, clock, flares.......

edit

if you can also find one with a (dealer installed) front bush bumper on it....bonus

Like this....

P1010005-1.jpg

get a king cab. So much more room. Abd find a st

Ya.....although....I have my first standard cab.....kind of grows on ya.... :huh: ... :)

Have a tendency to pack less shit in the cab.... :lol: .....a lot less cluttered than my KCs.

If I was to go with a standard cab.......it would be a short box. Smaller wheel base....better 'approach' for off road.

If you want to find parts for it make sure its one of the newer ones. the 80 to 82 (maybe 83 im not sure) has smaller axles in the front and are a pain to find. the 84-86 you can still find all parts for. im looking at getting one myself.

Correct.... the 83+ parts are better to locate....unless you're parked in my back yard... :D :D

Different length of axles for the 80-85

The 81-82 can be used on the 80.....just reversed.....side to side. The 83+ is more common, and will not fit the earlier years

I think only the '85 and on 2 and 4wd gas engine 720s had the ST option. Because of this the 2wd were H-190 and the 4X4s were C200 rear ends. Because the ST 720 came in short, long and KC and 2wd came in manual and automatics while 4X4 were only in standards there were too many diff ratios to list.

All '85 and '86 720s had an improved bed without the horizontal rust prone seam.

Ok so Ive done a little more research and have a better understanding of what the ST is BUT rarely if ever do I expect the for sale adds to advertise (Nissan 720 ST) so are there any tell tale signs of how to recognize an ST ?

Ok so Ive done a little more research and have a better understanding of what the ST is BUT rarely if ever do I expect the for sale adds to advertise (Nissan 720 ST) so are there any tell tale signs of how to recognize an ST ?

If they have an ST model.....I'm sure they will advertise as such. But I would check anyways.

Visually....from the outside of the truck, you should see a sunroof and some ST decals on it, if it hasn't been repainted.

If the add says PL, PW, sunroof......that's an ST

Here's a pic of my old ST.....RIP

DSCF3436.jpg

Pretty sure the ST started on '85 model years so look on the door jam build date. Should be 06 '84 and on to be an '85

Under the hood there is an engine tag under the pass side hood hinge on the inner fender. Look for the letter after the 720 it must be an L. For example KNLGY 720 LTEV

Descriptor after the 720

L = ST

S = Standard type

J = GL type

W = dual wheel (cab chassis)

None of the above = Deluxe

Air con, electric windows, sun roof, woodgrain dash were all options available on other models but likely standard on the ST

Pretty sure the ST started on '85 model years so look on the door jam build date. Should be 06 '84 and on to be an '85

Under the hood there is an engine tag under the pass side hood hinge on the inner fender. Look for the letter after the 720 it must be an L. For example KNLGY 720 LTEV

Descriptor after the 720

L = ST

S = Standard type

J = GL type

W = dual wheel (cab chassis)

None of the above = Deluxe

Air con, electric windows, sun roof, woodgrain dash were all options available on other models but likely standard on the ST

Correct...with one exception.... :)....the ST should be finished with brushed aluminum on the face of the dash, instead of 'wood'

Yeah makes sense that the 720 dash I have is woodgrain.... and now I can't say it's from an ST. I thought it was. Had the optional clock/tach too. Well I had a spare in the shed with the brushed al. Didn't care for it.

dash011.jpg

That aluminum dash is the cats ass to some people...... :)

I had one in my first truck......but apparently my dog Sealik got bored....and ate part of it. :D

Have another ST....so no issues

Also have the wood grains and non.

A guy from Guam wanted one of my dashes...........380 to ship, needless to say I still have it :D

That aluminum dash is the cats ass to some people...... :)

I had one in my first truck......but apparently my dog Sealik got bored....and ate part of it. :D

Have another ST....so no issues

Also have the wood grains and non.

A guy from Guam wanted one of my dashes...........380 to ship, needless to say I still have it :D

S/T option popped up in 83... easy to tell by the rail style bed with the S/T decal on the rear bedsides ( the S was on top of the T rather than the triangle style S/T decal commonly seen on the 85+ years.) A few standard cab short bed S/T models were made twards the end of 86 production (i still have mine if ya want pics) Sunroof was also an option the last year, you could also delete the power windows, locks and A/C if you wish and still get a TBI setup.

True all s/t models had brushed aluminum dash inserts and a cool steering wheel. BUT the aluminum is aweful against blue interior and brown interior in my opinion.

4.36 gears were standard on the 86 4x4.

S/T option popped up in 83... easy to tell by the rail style bed with the S/T decal on the rear bedsides ( the S was on top of the T rather than the triangle style S/T decal commonly seen on the 85+ years.) A few standard cab short bed S/T models were made twards the end of 86 production (i still have mine if ya want pics) Sunroof was also an option the last year, you could also delete the power windows, locks and A/C if you wish and still get a TBI setup.

True all s/t models had brushed aluminum dash inserts and a cool steering wheel. BUT the aluminum is aweful against blue interior and brown interior in my opinion.

4.36 gears were standard on the 86 4x4.

EDIT

The only other STs I have seen had the Blue or Tan interior

Guess the black and gray interior is not as common.... :D

P8050064.jpg

Edited by Sealik

you mean 4.375? i hope

ok mike... i got a real good one for ya...... a few 4x4 z24 trucks came about in the begining of 83 production with the "datsun" h-190 rear... did it have 4.11s or 4.37s? I have never been able to answer this one

Trick question grasshopper? 01 '83 to 06 '83 4x4 for some reason used a 3.889 ratio. Unfortunately my powers are weak today and I cannot confirm it was an H-190. Probably, the 07 '83 on were C-200 4.11 (except the later ST model as discussed)

If you find one look on the engine tag under the pass side hood hinge. Is the axle ratio starts with HF it's an H-190 if C it's a C-200

Well no luck finding an ST yet....but did find an 84 4x4 ext cab with 130k original miles original owner with receipts for everything down to oil changes for all maint done since new. Interior is mint not even a crack in the dash. Factor brush guard as pictured earlier. AC & heater still works, navy blue interior, no rust.....for 2,000$ What you guys think ?

Well no luck finding an ST yet....but did find an 84 4x4 ext cab with 130k original miles original owner with receipts for everything down to oil changes for all maint done since new. Interior is mint not even a crack in the dash. Factor brush guard as pictured earlier. AC & heater still works, navy blue interior, no rust.....for 2,000$ What you guys think ?

Sounds like it's in good shape......you checked ALL the mounts?

Pics....?

Although... :) ....It would be nice to find a ST... with black interior preferably ....but

Not sure how many are out there and or available