Suggestions for the Canby Show

Green Bastard

How about a convoy to PIR on saturday night for the late night drags. Starts at 6pm. Portlandraceway.com. Would cost a few bucks for tech and track time, but appears to be an option.

My truck doesnt need to show how slow it is, but i would sure go watch and B.S. with others.

Jason

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was looking at the PIR calendar again and I think that it is still the 2007 calendar and some 2008 stuff thrown into it, so we will know better dates for it as they update the complete calendar.

But yes a convoy just to watch would be fun also, Think it is only like 5 bucks to be a spectator

Jason

PIR Schedule does show late night drags on June 13 and 14. Might be a fun cruise, we could even go straight through the city, down 99w all the way. Never getting on the freeway. A good way to show off some Datsun:cool:

Here is a link to the PIR schedulePIR 2008 you can see that it is jam packed. The Porland/Vancouver metro area has needed another motorsports venue for quite some time, and it really shows when you look at the schedule.

For a cost comparison, the last track day I did was with Cascade Sports Car Club. They had the track for a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The rent was over $30,000:eek: Not gonna happen on a Datsun budget.

The most viable trackday option would be to have individual members sign up for one of CSCC's Thursday/Friday driving schools, too bad its the week before Canby :(

Is it worth moving the date of the show to get it to conicide with a Driver school/Trackday? Bear in mind that this would turn Canby into a 4 day event for those interested in doing the full monty. 3 day for those with prior on track experience. How many Datsun drivers would be into this? I think it could be awesome:D

On the topic of ratsun and daily driver class I have 2 cent.A daily is just that.Mileage would be your only way of determining whether it was driven daily or not.Whatever the ride or allover quality,how well is it maintained for such.A ratsun category might be a sleeper or how well you do with krylon primer.

Jordan- Great idea with the driving school. It would be a really fun way to play with the dats and learn. I can see it now, a handful of 620s and 510s buzzing around PIR. I'm sure the instructors would just love it :D

Maybe by '09 I'll be ready....hmmm

Ive been to a few shows that had a "slow drag" event. Basically set up a course & the slowest vehicle across the finish line wins! It gives people a chance to drive thier cars & show off a bit. $$$ permitting im considering making the journey w/ Steroid :cool:

Of course, daily driver "Mileage" is suspect... I mean, all Datsuns before 1980 only had 5-digit odometers. If it's a TRUE "Daily Driver" they'd have over 300K on 'em, but how do you know? They'd rolled over 3 times! I stuck a 6-digit odometer in my '78 510 (the '80-81 510 speedo head and tach fit in the '78-79 cluster with some massaging) and set the mileage to match, so it reads fairly accurate at 310,000 but that car sure isn't going to any shows.

As it is, I'll probably skip Canby this year. If I do go I won't enter the show. I don't want to commit to one vehicle over another that far in advance- I want to drive what runs. Well, unless they have a category for the rattiest running, street driveable Datsun- my '76 KC would qualify there, and I don't even have to rat it up.

A ratsun category might be ... how well you do with krylon primer.

does it have to be primer to be ratsun? i have a few coats of gloss white krylon over the white primer :fu:

and no trailer in! gotta drive a good distance for it be considered a 'driver' otherwise its a project or show car.

Track Time,

It would be costly for a track day at PIR. I have had my car there before and others as well. You also have a limit on cars. For safety they dont allow a ton of cars on the track at one time so you would have 10 classes say to speak and only run once or twice for the whole day. That would suck. If you want track time your best bet would be on a Shelby club or Miata club day etc.

Canby Ideas,

On to the Canby show info. I would still like a daily driver class but may not happen. Milleage does'nt mean much. I drive 4 miles to work every day but some may drive 15 or 50, but I still drive it in the weather. I will say I am for the Ratsun class too. Or maybe a class for the folks on here at Ratsun.net or something like that, special award? It would also be cool if you could have a special award no one knows about. I would like a cruise. I know alot of backroads to Mt. St. Hellens if that would help.

Canby Ideas,

I would like a cruise. I know alot of backroads to Mt. St. Hellens if that would help.

I would not mind going for a cruise also, but i have no desire to participate in the road race rally cruise that we always hear stories about after the event. About how somebody was driving too fast and crashed their car, or got speeding tickets. Not saying that i am a perfect driver, but those kind of runs are begging for disaster. I do have a perfectly clean driving record(14 years), and would like to keep it that way. Knocking on wood right now;).

Ratsun class trophy would be cool. And a daily driver catagory would be cool also, but i see no way of making that catagory fair. I drive mine daily and keep track of gas mileage, does that show daily driver status?

Jason

my suggestion is to not have it on Fathers day weekend

I second that! I most likely won't be able to make it if it is on fathers day weekend...that the weekend of the LA roadster show and my dad and I will hopefully be driving his '28 ford down that weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add this to the other Canby thread as well.

Registration is now available online on the club's website. Jeff...your question might be answered as you read the first page :)

Just remember guys....even if you really don't want to register to show, at least bring your datsuns down and do the $5 park inside the grounds. It's always sad to see datsuns in the parking lot across the street.

http://www.datsunsnw.org/

if I drive to NewYork and back can I get the long distance award? :)

Since the registration date is the same, I guess it will be on Father's day this year.

Maybe next year that holiday can be considered.

I'll try to bring my daughter with me. I think she'll have a lot more fun if the weather is nice. :D

Why hello there, looks like this thread has come alive once again.

Bleach, as far as the date goes, you are not being ignored. Certain larger aspects of the show, such as time and place, have to planned very far in advance. The date of the show was a given before I even thought of starting this thread.

Long distance awards. We had a guy drive a Coupe up from LA, and some of the Canadians have pretty long drives too. Sorry I can't remember if they were awarded in any way, but I wouldn't count it out.

One more thing, if anyone is local, and has not come to a meeting, give it a try. We always have room in the Canby comittees, where you can really make things your way. Meetings are very open and democratic, and accepting of all ideas.

Thanks for playing.:)

Bleach, as far as the date goes, you are not being ignored.

I understand. I didnt think I was being ignored and I'm not mad about the date.

I'll work with it this year. For next year you can just bring it up at the meeting and maybe the show can fall on the week after father's day. I just don't want to miss a good show one of these years because of other plans. :cool: