Suggestions for the Canby Show

Green Bastard

There are a good number of DatsunsNW club members on the Ratsun, but more importantly, there are some who are not members. Here is your chance to have your voice heard.

Lets hear about what you like in a Datsun show. What could be improved?

Awards, judging, voting, raffles, food, entertainment, vendors, swap meet, camping, driving, events, weather:p, parking, venue, price, merchandise, registration?

Anything you can think of.

Feel free to comment, even if you have no plans on attending.

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there the first year but never made it back but am gona try this year. Is there a daily driver class? Maybe a couple classes like dimes or trucks or new?? Something to think about.

Thanks for the reply fiveNdime. If you were at Canby the first year, 2005, that was pre DatsunsNW. Things are a little different now (2006+).

Classes are formed depending on what vehicles pre-register. Last year we had 6 different 510 classes because there were 41 dimes pre-registered. Stock was one of the classes.

On the other hand, we only had 9 trucks pre-register, so we split them up as fairly as possible into early and late model. Stock was not a class for trucks, because there were not enough stock trucks to make a class.

Basically we need at least 3 or more like vehicles to form a class. The more vehicles in a class, the more trophies awarded, up to three per class. Three vehicles in a class will get you one trophy, Five vehicles in a class and you have two trophies, seven and above ,you have three trophies.

We try to have as many different classes as possible. This way the vehicles can be judged against thier peers. i.e. no Skyline GT-R vs. NL320 just because they didnt fit into any other class. There were 18 different classes last year.

With this format, you can see why pre-registration is so important. We need to know what vehicles are coming, so we can have the trophies and classes ready. Voting is done by all registrants in the car show. No ballot stuffing here. :D

I have heard mention of "camping". I think that a few of You guys camped out somehow. I think that some of You spent the night at, or around the run. As I will be coming quite a way up, this definately interests Me. The Reso experience of sitting around talking, cooking hotdogs over a fire and such would really be cool if some of Us could do that (naturally, controlled use of firepits) at night. If not on the grass, would firepits, camping be allowed anywhere at the run? If not, do any of You live close enough where this could be set up in Your yard? Also, when I came up to purchase the fourdoor in 2003, Bleach, David Murphy, and His friend met Terie and I at the motel and I showed all of My truck slides. Would You guys be interested in seeing those on the "big" screen? I don't mind bringing them and they can be shown outside against a white wall or inside a room. Whatever the park might have. All I need is 110 or if around a campfire (cool???) a generator. I can sleep in My Xterra or in a tent. Either is fine.

I think there should be a "Ratsun" class, a class for beat down datto's that we just can't let die. Rusty, bent, and just all around beat down. I feel that not all of use want "show" cars, I'm not much into paint I just like a low EFI car, why can't we have a class? In Auz they have a truck class like that, I forget the exact name though haha :)

I'm with the ratsun class. Pre-registration, I can see where this is needed but again I cant stress how much I would love to have a daily driver class for those of us who at least enjoy it everyday instead of pulling it out a few times a year to drive. My opinion again!

I have heard mention of "camping". I think that a few of You guys camped out somehow. I think that some of You spent the night at, or around the run. As I will be coming quite a way up, this definately interests Me. The Reso experience of sitting around talking, cooking hotdogs over a fire and such would really be cool if some of Us could do that (naturally, controlled use of firepits) at night. If not on the grass, would firepits, camping be allowed anywhere at the run? If not, do any of You live close enough where this could be set up in Your yard? Also, when I came up to purchase the fourdoor in 2003, Bleach, David Murphy, and His friend met Terie and I at the motel and I showed all of My truck slides. Would You guys be interested in seeing those on the "big" screen? I don't mind bringing them and they can be shown outside against a white wall or inside a room. Whatever the park might have. All I need is 110 or if around a campfire (cool???) a generator. I can sleep in My Xterra or in a tent. Either is fine.

Camping is available for at the fairgrounds. You can reserve your spot via pre-registration, or buy a space at the gate. There are RV sites with AC and also tent sites. Fires are not allowed in the fairgrounds, so we gather around a lantern to BS instead. Camping was very popular last year.

Bring any Datsun related media you have, I can try to work it into the presentation. We will probably have the hall open all day this time, If the weather goes sour, folks can come in and watch movies and stuff...

Watch for the registration to show up soon at the datsunsnw.org website.

J

I'm with the ratsun class. Pre-registration, I can see where this is needed but again I cant stress how much I would love to have a daily driver class for those of us who at least enjoy it everyday instead of pulling it out a few times a year to drive. My opinion again!

The daily driver class is a great idea, but how would you enforce it? All it would take is one guy to pull his fresh out of the paint booth, fully restored "daily driver" into the show and piss everyone off.

Daily Driver sounds like a good idea for a "special" award. We have had a few of those type of awards in the past, and plan on having more.

Thanks for the input.

I think there should be a "Ratsun" class, a class for beat down datto's that we just can't let die. Rusty, bent, and just all around beat down. I feel that not all of use want "show" cars, I'm not much into paint I just like a low EFI car, why can't we have a class? In Auz they have a truck class like that, I forget the exact name though haha :)

I like the idea, and if three or more guys put "Ratsun" on their registration, guess what? We could have a class, but are you gonna be mad if someone has a shiny car and joins the class? If it is a voted class, like the rest of them, chances are the shiny car will win.

Again, the only fair way do do that one might be a special award. How would you judge it? I would probably look at difficult fabrication, rarity of model, raw HP, and fun factor, but it ain't all up to me :)

I said something about this in the other Canby thread, so I'll put it here also. I would like to see some kind of driving events included in the festivities. An autocross for sure and maybe some other kind of goofy type of event. Please nothing drift related!! This might just be my own opnion, but I think that the whole car show sitting around and doing nothing thing just gets a little old. I like to drive my car (plus, my car doesn't look good up close :)). So yeah, basically something other than just a car show would be cool.

I like the idea, and if three or more guys put "Ratsun" on their registration, guess what? We could have a class, but are you gonna be mad if someone has a shiny car and joins the class? If it is a voted class, like the rest of them, chances are the shiny car will win.

Again, the only fair way do do that one might be a special award. How would you judge it? I would probably look at difficult fabrication, rarity of model, raw HP, and fun factor, but it ain't all up to me :)

I don't think anyone would enter there shiny car in the "Ratsun" class. If its peoples choice I don't think it would win anyways. The Special Award would also be a good idea, unless it hurt someones feelings :D haha I do think it would be a hard class to judge, maybe you guys should let me judge it :D

Most rust

lowest

nice fab work/ styling (not that it has to be yours but obviously time spent making it that way)

See it would be easy to judge :D

I said something about this in the other Canby thread, so I'll put it here also. I would like to see some kind of driving events included in the festivities. An autocross for sure and maybe some other kind of goofy type of event. Please nothing drift related!! This might just be my own opnion, but I think that the whole car show sitting around and doing nothing thing just gets a little old. I like to drive my car (plus, my car doesn't look good up close :)). So yeah, basically something other than just a car show would be cool.

I would love to do some kind of race :D My times would most likely suck since I've never auto-x before, I'm a good loser though :D

Great input guys. Jordan...I'm glad you're fielding this thread! :)

I just want everyone to keep in mind that the Canby event is an "evolving" event. It's put on by a group of Datsun people that wanted to re-energize the Datsun community in the area. They're not really "car show" people either, so it's a "learn as you go" kind of thing. The Blue Lake event was way too overcrowded and had no room to grow anymore. Since it's still a young venue, just try to be patient with the changes. As Jordan said earlier, we're trying to get a driving event integrated, but it won't happen this year. Some of the other suggestions may be great ideas, but it may take another year or so to get it all figured out. But, if we start working on it now, we can grow this event into one that attracts everyone!!

I'm almost thinking that the event name of Canby should be changed to something like the DatsunNW Show.....so that when the venue changes for a driving event or space, it won't change the name too. I think we're going to out grow the fair grounds in another year or so. :)

I was wondering how hard it would be for us to have an event at woodburn or P.I.R. so that we could do some bracket racing or something of that nature with a show-n-shine integrated?

their are a few groups that do run at P.I.R I belive. Also a sswap meet wold be cool and a autox would be great

I'm almost thinking that the event name of Canby should be changed to something like the DatsunNW Show.....so that when the venue changes for a driving event or space, it won't change the name too. I think we're going to out grow the fair grounds in another year or so. :)

yeah what the hell is a Canby?:P isnt that a Toyota?

...oh thats Camry ...my bad.

Rusty =

-NL320 class

-camping

-new name

-and a planned "cruz" around the area there is NOTHING like a Datsun convoy!

ha! camping in the rain sucked for you yes.. for the 3 of us in our little corner it was great!

EZ up with 2 wagons backed up to it. hatchs open, tarp to keep the sidewind and rain out, laptop hooked up to 87 speaker sound system and some good movies!

finished off with an air soft battle lol

we had a great time!

I'd love to see an autoX as well though.. my wagons not very pretty hard parked..

Duke, and others who have suggested an autocross, thank you. I too agree that this and/or other DRIVING events are whats missing from Canby. The thing is called Datsun Driving Canby Fun. Now it just needs more driving than just getting to and leaving.

There was a self guided tour of the area last year, I am not sure how many did this, (I, for one did not). Maybe if we turn it into a poker run and give it an official start time, there would be more of a group feel to it?

The year before, Aaron led about a dozen cars up to Mt. hood and back. The people who did that liked it a lot.

What do people think about having driving (autocross, track day, drag?) events in one location and car show in another? Maybe 50 miles or less apart? Driving event somewhere Saturday then dinner/camping/show/raffle/awards in Canby?

Now if we could have the show at a venue where an Autocross is possible, then we could do all sorts of events all weekend long, aka Shasta. Salem Fairgrounds has been mentioned at one time or another. Then we would just move the whole show.

More cruises? Poker Run? Autocross or bust? All of the above?

their are a few groups that do run at P.I.R I belive. Also a sswap meet wold be cool and a autox would be great

Swap meet, check. We do that already. One at the Canby show, and an earlier one in April at Wilsonville Nissan.

There are autocrosses at PIR as well as many other events. The schedule is rather packed there, and invading someone elses event with a 100+ Datsuns wouldn't go well for any of the parties involved.:eek:

to be fully truthful after driving all the way down from BC.. a criuse is the last thing I wanna do lol. a poker run or maybe even a scavenger hunt type thing would be awsome.

We have our autoX and show in tottaly diff locations at the BC event. Each does quite well even though they are spread apart. (wish I'd see my US plates up here though.)

I think a poker run would be alright.. dunno maybe have one of those part identification things like shasta had on saturday.. kind of to give something to do.. Saturday seems kind of like a dead day to me.. I usually struggle to decided if I should even be there before the dinner...

Even at shasta it felt like there was this sort of down period after their car show where it seemed like nothing was happening..

I think all shows kind of suffer from this.. I think it would be amazing if canby could over come it.

to be fully truthful after driving all the way down from BC.. a criuse is the last thing I wanna do lol. a poker run or maybe even a scavenger hunt type thing would be awsome.

We have our autoX and show in tottaly diff locations at the BC event. Each does quite well even though they are spread apart. (wish I'd see my US plates up here though.)

Great suggestions. I love the point of view of the people traveling hundreds of miles. Scavenger hunt/ poker run could be fun, with prizes given at the Saturday night dinner.

I need to make it back to BC, but the rain always scares me away :). It has been 3 or 4 years since I have done that show. I love your autocross at the airstrip!

There are autocrosses at PIR as well as many other events. The schedule is rather packed there, and invading someone elses event with a 100+ Datsuns wouldn't go well for any of the parties involved.:eek:

Invading others space with 100+ datsuns might have the possibility of a benefit for some other small club. Dont you have to rent the PIR track by the day or weekend. That could be rrather expensive for many small car clubs. Just maybe they are interested in sharing some track time and some costs.

I dont know how you would go about contacting these other clubs to entertain any of these ideas. Does the PIR staff know of any clubs that would really like a track day but cant quite fund the entire thing? I dont mind hanging with another brand so we all get some track time.

Just a thought

Jason