L Series 5 Speed Identification

datzenmike

The following is for the 5 spd L series bolt pattern only.

Does it have a dogleg or regular 5spd pattern?

The dogleg tends also to have a smooth bell and the regular shift has ribs cast into it.

Is it long tail (about 31" total length) or short tail (about 26" total length)?

Is 5th gear an o/d (over drive) or DD (direct drive) straight through?

Does it have a spline or bolt on flange output?

'A' type rubber mount (Monkey Motion)

A1.jpg

If it has this shifter, it could be from a roadster, early 240Z car (rare non US spec.)

'B' type cross pin mount

Btype.jpg

If it has this shifter, it could be from a '77-'79 620 truck, '80 720 truck, '78-80 or '80-'83 280z or 280zx car, Nismo wide ratio o/d fifth gear, Nismo close ratio o/d fifth gear (also used on the 260Z 2+2 non US spec.), or one of three Nismo DD (direct drive) fifth gear trannys.

'C' type top cover mount held by circlip, also known as a top loader

Ctype.jpg

Borg Warner T-5 for the 280zx, Nismo ultra close ratio o/d fifth gear or Nismo middle ratio o/d fifth gear tranny.

The tranny on the far right is a T-5 (C type) for comparison to a FS5W71B (B type) long tail 5spd on the left.

BorgWarner4-1.jpg

280Z and 280ZX 5spd I.D.

FS5W71Bearly.jpg

FS5W71Blater80-84.jpg

5speedZearlywideratio.jpg

5speedZlatecloseratio.jpg

Here is a dogleg 5 spd. Note the smooth case. This is a long tail believed to be from an 810/Maxima which is built on the 280Z platform. Note the 280z type tranny mount and B type shifter.

phatdaveunknownZtrans.jpg

Another dogleg 5spd, a short tail with B type shifter, believed to be from a '78 510. Speedo appears to be on driver's side.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transmissionDoglegshort78510.jpg[/img]"]transmissionDoglegshort78510.jpg

Here's two with bolt on output flanges, a Nismo competition box with B type shifter (left) and an early FS5C71A close ratio Roadster box with A type shifter and detachable bell housing. Also known as the Nismo ultra close ratio:

1st - 1.858

2nd - 1.383

3rd - 1.217

4th - 1.000

5th - 0.850

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Transmissioncloseratiocompititionbo.jpg[/img]"]Transmissioncloseratiocompititionbo.jpghttp://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transmissionearlycloseratioroadster.jpg[/img]"]transmissionearlycloseratioroadster.jpg

This may narrow it down some. Ratios can be only guessed at as the original tranny may have been swapped out of the car and there were even changes without notice at the factory. Add to this an optional tranny may have been ordered when new.

Every effort has been made to maintain accuracy. This is by no means a complete list. I welcome any additions or adjustments.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, Doglegs don't have the "Monkey motion" shifter- their shifter looks exactly like a 71B type.

I've never seen a 71B 5-speed with the top access plate- only 4-speeds. I've had several 1977 71B 5-speeds (both from trucks and Zs), which were the 1st year, and all had the single ridge and the single ear. The only difference I saw between early and late was the shifter itself (the later ones had a plastic spring-loaded spacer). I'm not saying that such doesn't exist- I mean, I didn't know that longtail doglegs or longtail bottom-cover 4-speeds existed either (both of those oddballs were confined to models I've never owned).

Ok, My truck (521) is set up with a 4spd out of a 77' 620. It has the b-type shifter and the access cover. The drive shaft has already been shortened to accomodate it. What 5spd is the direct swap? Just want to be clear on all of my options

Mike

• 1 month later...

thats what i thought but then i read on here that there is a tranny that the 5the is a 1:1 so i wanted to be sure what i was putting in was what i wanted not my 4 speed with an extra shift

No they aren't. Some are 1 to 1 in 5th gear and are called an F5C71B direct drive. The S in FS5W71B denotes an over drive 5th gear.

I would doubt very much that there are many floating around out there. I believe these would be a specially ordered Nismo option for racing and such.

There's even one for the 620:

1st....2nd...3rd..4th...5th

3.321 2.27 1.60 1.24 1

I musta been bad or something. Some of my later ( few days ago) pix are gone too. Is there a limit to how many pictures I can post????? Maybe I could delete some of the really old ones.?? Thomas?

• 3 years later...

Hello guys looking for some answers.

The tranny , I picked up. Says it has monkey motion shifter linkage.

What the hell is that?

Also says it is rare.

The tranny is just a little over 31 inches long.

Here is a picture of it, after I cleaned it up.

cleantrans001.jpg

I am just trying to get as much info as possible before I drop my 4 speed and put this one in my 510 wagon.

I am going to have a sedan driveline cut 3 inches shorter. Then put it all in.

The sedan drive line is 2 inches shorter than the one that is on the wagon now.

Does this all sound right to you?

Thanks a head of time.

That's not the monkey-motion type. Looks like a immensely common FS5W71B transmission to me. What it came out of, Mike seems to be the Amazing Kreskin of tranny ID (something to do with the placement of the switches and such). It looks like a '77-79 280Z or 77-80 Truck trans to me. It has a truck-type slave cylinder on it.

cleantrans001.jpg

FS5W71B 5 speed for L series motor made for the U.S. '79 620 truck (non California). Possibly the '80 2wd 720 truck. (non California) Not any newer than Dec.'80 not older than July '78. It was assembled by a left handed Asian male..

It has a truck-type slave cylinder on it.

lolz just saw your post Doug. I looked at the slave but didn't 'see' it. Yes definitely a truck slave, good call.

Further, either year gear ratios are....

1st... 3.592

2nd.. 2.246

3rd... 1.415

4th... 1.000

5th... 0.882

rev... 3.657

These are a relatively 'wide ratio' gear set suitable for a truck with a very low first gear and large spread between all gears.

The only other 5speed (280z/zx and Maxima) uses only the reverse light switch. California 620/720 use a neutral switch in the upper tailstock so they are out also. The 620 received top and overdrive gear switches (likely for the fuel shut off system on deceleration) in '79 and used well into the '80s.

To the best of my knowledge and research material and skills this is the best guess. As always it's possible there were undocumented changes by Nissan over 30 years ago.

cleantrans001.jpg

FS5W71B 5 speed for L series motor made for the U.S. '79 620 truck (non California). Possibly the '80 2wd 720 truck. (non California) Not any newer than Dec.'80 not older than July '78. It was assembled by a left handed Asian male..

Here's my recently acquired '80 720 2WD trannie for comparison

pshaft2.jpg

Yup.....that's the Canadian one. :lol:

No.

There is no way it's that early of a transmission. Roadster transmissions 1) have the starter on the other side and 2) have 3-part cases.

240Z 5-speeds were Roadster 5-speeds with L-series bells on them... again, 3-piece cases.

Now, it COULD have been swapped into a 240Z in the 80s or 90s, but that's not where it came from. Mike says it's a 79-80 Truck Trans, and I have no doubt that's what it is.

• 4 years later...