Firing Order L16

mcdatsun

Well. My truck ('71/72 build date 8/71) an L16 521 with a single point distributer is running a wee bit rough. In the "How to Keep Your Datsun Alive" C H7 Proc 12, it says that the #1 plug wire should be at the front right corner (front closest to valve cover) and then proceed counterclockwise in the order 1,3,4,2.

Here's the trouble. The front plug closest to the valve cover on my engine is the #2. then the order going counterclockwise is 2, 1, 3, 4. Not even close. Could the truck be running at all if the wires are this f'd up? Is there something else going on? Should I rearrange the wires to match the book? Help!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find the very front spark plug and follow the wire back to the distributor cap. This will be the #1. the next wire on the cap going in a counter clockwise direction will go to the #3 spark plug on the head, then the #4 and finally the #2 plug. 1342 in that order.

If one wire is wrong then there are actually two wires in the wrong place, very doubtful it will run. If it was running fine and now is rough the wires didn't switch themselves. Look instead for dampness under the distributor cap or very old wires. If the points have not been changed for the last 10K miles you should check then for wear. They may be worn or eroded. Same with the rotor under the cap.

• Like 1

These vehicles are old and have had many owners.Parts get replaced with different ones that work. An L20B distributor would look the same but I believe the rotor points to a different position #1 on the cap than the L16. Also the timing chain my have been replaced and the distributor drive spindle could have been put back in differently than factory. In order to get it to fire properly the wires on the cap would have to be rotated to a new position.

mcdatsun

If you watched my vid I have on olddatsuns.com at the end I install a couple different dizzys. it shows it there where they can come out at.

If you install the pump spidal in wrong you could make it come out any old way if you like and get it running if the tang hold down is in the correct spot.

read most everything on olddatsuns.com so you have a basic clue before asking these questions.

read most everything on olddatsuns.com so you have a basic clue before asking these questions.

Sorry

I admit I'm new at this, but no need to insult a guy just because he knows less about cars than you do.

I'll read the olddatsuns.com stuff for sure. I got a little worried as I've been reading the "How to Keep Your Datsun Alive" that was recommended in this forum, and it instructed to check the firing order and showed that the No. 1 should be in a certain spot. I'm just trying to work with the info I've got.

I thought this would be a good place to ask a question.

mcdatsun there's really no insult intended here. It's all good info and advice.

You live in the heart of The 510 Realm. There are many Datsun owners in Vancouver and your 521 motor and transmission is pretty much the same as in the 510. Anything that would apply to one would apply to the other.