Z24 is IN

Not running yet, as I am still working around rain squalls, but the Z24 gender change (turned a truck engine into a car engine) is done and the engine is now installed in the '81 510 wagon. All left is radiator, fluids, and plugging things back in. Pics and excessive write up on that other board.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics and excessive write up on that other board.

Dang the other board :( I don't go over there anymore, I cant because of principle. Well Dougy I'm glad to here your wagon is going to be running soon. What happened anyway? Is that the one with like 400,000 miles? Because I thought the 400k one had a L motor in it. Are you going to have it at GG?

The 300K one is a '78. This is the '81 I bought to replace the wrecked '81. I was going to use the Z20 from the wrecked one, but then Mike had these Z24s he needed to sell... The day after I got the old engine out.

I am a bit worried about hood clearance though. It's REALLY close. Being that the Z24 is going in looking just like a bone-stock Z20, but 3/4" taller.

Doug....I sure hope for all the work, that dang thing runs great!!!

Um, yeah, then you don't want to hear what happened when I tried to start it...

I probably put something together wrong, because I can't get the starter teeth to mesh with the ring gear. And I tried 3 starters. I may have put the flexplate on backwards.

Wish it was that easy. That was one thing I thought of, but I tried the original starter off the car too. I'm pretty sure I have the flexplate on backwards- that would offset the ring gear back too far, so the starter drive pinion would only catch part of the ring and "bounce" which is what it's doing. Plus the ring gear has bevels on one side of the teeth (just like the pinion) and they're probably facing the wrong way. I'll know when I pull the starter out tomorrow.

Of course, I took the day off so it's raining. I ended up making a "Tarp Tent" using the hood as a center point and the car mirrors and the engine hoist as anchors.

Because it DOES turn over somewhat I charged the battery overnight to see if even crippled it'd start.

It did, and the noise was horrendous. Sounded like what happens when a playing card gets stuck in a floor fan.

So, before I started ripping stuff apart I took a little look-see.

The radiator fan was chewed to shreds. It was intact when I started this little project...

Oh crap. Guess which part I forgot to change? The crank pulley. I used the original Z24 3-groove pulley, even though I only need one groove. Z24s in 720s have power steering. 510s do not. The fan was hitting the end of the pulley, destroying itself. I don't have a spare 720 fan, so I might just have to shave this one.

So I took the fan off and restarted it. No more noise.

However, 3 more problems. One major- the tranny won't shift out of park. The shifter moves but nothing happens. I may have messed up the linkage when I was jostling the tranny around, have to crawl under and over to see. Other problems are it idles at 1700 RPM, but it seems like the throttle may just be adjusted wrong (no slack). The second is the muffler is blown- lots of steam out the middle of the car, not much out the back. Oh, and the temp sender doesn't work. Oil pressure gauge does, showing good pressure, so one fear gone. It burned oil on startup pretty heavy, but then again I DID have the engine upside-down on the stand when doing the pan change and such. First starts are usually pretty oily.

Started it again today- lots of smoke that cleared up quickly, so I think the valve stem seals are shot. The longer it sits, the more oil it burns on startup. I'll change those after I get the engine back in, as I took it out (with the transmission). I pulled the starter first and verified that indeed the flexplate was on backwards. I believe that's what the tranny wasn't pumping fluid- the backwards flexplate pulled the TQ too far forward, and it wasn't spinning the tranny oil pump.

I have it reassembled the correct way, but it got dark before I was able to get the thing back in. I also now have to pull and replace a busted drop pipe stud, as even though it was assembled a week ago the nuts siezed up (one stud broke, another backed out).

Nice to hear it runs. That sucks you had to pull it again, I guess that is half the fun of datto's though :) I am excited to hear how it moves out. A 2.4 seems like a nice improvement hehe Sounds like you should have it on the road in a couple days if the weather clears up. I want a photo of a burn out :D

Well, maybe next weekend depending in weather. Even with DST I don't get home in daylight- It's usually 10PM or later. Of course I have other things to do as well, such as getting rid of the 200SX next weekend (hopefully). Plus the ceiling in my dining room fell in yesterday from all the rain, I've been waiting for a LONG dry spell to fix it but now the table is plastic tarps and buckets.

Oh, and no burnouts. I do NOT want to have to replace the rear end.

I could help you get some room in your living room by taking that L EFI mani off your hands :D (I just like to bring it up once a month)

Why do you get home so late? I thought you worked at a computer place? they stay open that late?

No burnouts!! haha