can you go electronic ignition on a J15?

burrito213

i was looking for stuff to do to this truck i have and up popped a convo that said you can make an electronic ignition or distribution for a datsun but i kept reading other engines.

or the pics went bye-bye

then i saw you can but you have to adjust your timing and, well, i havent timed an engine since 2002.

anyhoo, is it possible for me to do this to my J15?.... i heard all the positives from some of the treads i read but i dunno

any help? :huh: can anyone lead me to the water?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. It can be done.

I did it to my 320. You have to use parts from both dizzys to make it work.

You have to swap the distributor drive and use the J series dizzy timing plate iirc. Mklotz had a write up on it. That's where I got the idea.

Edit-I did this mod on an E series engine but I think the J series are pretty similar. I have both the E and J series engines but it's been forever since I've messed with them.

Since the J15 is a copy of the British BMC B-series engines (as used in the MGB) you might be able to do what they do to get EI. I am not sure what that is but I remember reading it somewhere.

what type of dizzy is that jefe? or dizzy i need to swap with?

It's a basic matchbox dizzy like the ones from a 1979 620 or 1981 720's. It's the dizzy most people use when going EI on their L series engines. I'm pretty sure I have an extra if you have trouble finding one. You'll find them on here from time to time as well.

Hi Burrito,

Scroll down this is Mike Klotz's write up for moddine1 & J distributors.

http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?showtopic=393

Let me know what distributor you need for parts. I just stashed a 1980 310 A15 distributor at the Junk yard on Saturday.

Sorry I have not had time to get pictures of you manifolds, They are safe in my garage.

I hope you can make it to Phoenix for Chrismas.

The 320 at the wrecking yard I was telling you about does not have an engine or a transmision in it. There are several A15s available but I here the A swap is difficult.

thanks for all the help people...

i will do the research on the parts this holiday weekend.

i really didnt want to open up another thread on this issue but it is helping me a lot. thank you.

@ charlie, no worries amigo. you are good people. i hope your truck is looking cooler by the day. ;)

Hi Burrito,

Scroll down this is Mike Klotz's write up for moddine1 & J distributors.

http://community.rat...p?showtopic=393

Let me know what distributor you need for parts. I just stashed a 1980 310 A15 distributor at the Junk yard on Saturday.

Sorry I have not had time to get pictures of you manifolds, They are safe in my garage.

I hope you can make it to Phoenix for Chrismas.

The 320 at the wrecking yard I was telling you about does not have an engine or a transmision in it. There are several A15s available but I here the A swap is difficult.

Hi there Guys, One of the Elec. ignition write ups is in Mike Klotzs original NL320 thread, the one charlie has a link to above.

DSCF0011.jpg

I put an A15 in this former 1965 L320 I had, it was a great truck till that kid hit me head on, I had to manufacture all the mounts from scratch to install the A block, but it fit in there nice, it even had dual SUs, which made it move compared to the 1200 that it came with. wayno