Fisch's '71 510 LZ22 - "Chapman" Fogs and Bre Spook+art

fisch

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car's original color was yellow.

Indeed! Here it is before the camo paint so this is still under there! And I actually wound up trading Chris the extra bucket seats he was sending with it, for the stock ones from his V8 goon project! I think I'd rather have stock seats (or perhaps a bomber seat down the road!

My510paint.jpg

Geez Scott,

You mentioned Oven Cleaner and I just about ralphed. I use over cleaner to get the burnt on pitch off my expensive saw blades, router bits and shaper cutters. It is way more nasty than the Methyl Cloride that is in Jasco paint stripper.

I usually go outside and put my blades on the dumpster, then shoot Easy-Off on them, wait a minute and hit them with a stiff brush and water.

Yesterday it was pouring down rain, so I shot just a little bit on a blade inside the shop... I got one little whiff of that stuff and it burned the lining of my throat so freakin' fast. Big mistake and I knew better. Still have a sore throat.

It was worst than going through chemical warfare class in Army basic training, where they put your squad in a chamber and let go of a tear gas grenade... no BS.

In DA DRIVEWAY! Chris was so rad he got it fixed up (so it could pass inspection) and delivered this bonsai bruiser to my door this evening! To dark for pics, but tomorrow, tomorrow!

We went for a scoot around town and it was a hoot! With that Damb cam- the LZ22 it sounds like it means business. And I got to hear the sound of dual SUs sucking air for the first time! He put a lot of work into this car and it has personality to spare!

Chris and his wife were lovely people, we had some din-din here and I got to hear a few stories about "Chapman the 510." (I sent them home with a Datsun print (521 Sake Samurai) and a copy of Jump!)

Chris has had this dime for 20 years!

Geez Scott,

You mentioned Oven Cleaner and I just about ralphed. I use over cleaner to get the burnt on pitch off my expensive saw blades, router bits and shaper cutters. It is way more nasty than the Methyl Cloride that is in Jasco paint stripper.

I usually go outside and put my blades on the dumpster, then shoot Easy-Off on them, wait a minute and hit them with a stiff brush and water.

Yesterday it was pouring down rain, so I shot just a little bit on a blade inside the shop... I got one little whiff of that stuff and it burned the lining of my throat so freakin' fast. Big mistake and I knew better. Still have a sore throat.

It was worst than going through chemical warfare class in Army basic training, where they put your squad in a chamber and let go of a tear gas grenade... no BS.

Yeah it is nasty. Think I will save the oven cleaner for a last resort. I just finished reading that nail polish remover or acetone in general can do a good job. Also sometimes wd 40 works. Looks like there are a few options to try before I hit the heavy stuff! I guess even a claybar will work. But these last few things were talked in reference to your car getting tagged buy some punk.

In DA DRIVEWAY! Chris was so rad he got it fixed up (so it could pass inspection) and delivered this bonsai bruiser to my door this evening! To dark for pics, but tomorrow, tomorrow!

We went for a scoot around town and it was a hoot! With that Damb cam- the LZ22 it sounds like it means business. And I got to hear the sound of dual SUs sucking air for the first time! He put a lot of work into this car and it has personality to spare!

Chris and his wife were lovely people, we had some din-din here and I got to hear a few stories about "Chapman the 510." (I sent them home with a Datsun print (521 Sake Samurai) and a copy of Jump!)

Chris has had this dime for 20 years!

So glad that Chapman is in the hands of a true Datsun Lover. Congrats. I know you will be enjoying that car. Can't wait to see what you and your artistic talent mold it into.

Enjoy the Ride!

Wow, the memories I have of that day in my basic training...

Oven cleaner and tight spaces don't mix!

Really psyched about this. I think everyone has huge expectations for you Fisch. I'm sure you'll make us proud. I can't wait for the pics. I look forward to seeing how you do at removing the paint. Never thought about it with my car but I may see how it works on the hood or something. I bet it's going to be tough to sleep tonight, just like Christmas eve when you've already scoped out all your presents. Congrats and be sure to make a vid too, us on the westcoast may never see this in person :(

Right, Acetone cuts some stuff that other shit won't. You will have to experiment.

If it don't come off easy, fuck it... sand it off with some #180 grit and shoot epoxy primer on it.

The sound of SUs on an L engine = Japanese Music

Hey zerow did you know that Jesus drove a Datsun?

Datsun Saves...

Reet!

OICS!

First things first. Ratsun FTW! And I love having the FUTO FAB sticker on there (I'd love to get my hands on Dave's CF spook, fenders, hood and trunk lid someday!) and the New England SCCA sticker too. It is a very 'New England' 510!

IMG_0243.jpg

I wound up getting two stock 510 seats from Chris and opted to put them right away! Old vs. New.

IMG_0240.jpg

In and looking classy!

IMG_0249.jpg

I just love this view!

IMG_0248.jpg

With the seats out I took some snaps. Other than the fenders and a patch under the gas pedal this car is clean! Especially for the NE!

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

Some driveway shots!

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Now time to start removing cammo spraypaint. (You can see I have my mask on Figbuck!) I picked up this groovy product at Home depot. It works pretty swell. I also tried Laquer Thinner and another solvent I can't remember at the moment. But this worked just as good as the more toxic smelling stuff. Home Depot was out of acetone, so I didn't get to try that yet.

IMG_4502.jpg

It took A LOT of elbow grease spraying and using scotchbrite pads. It seemed long strokes worked much better than scrubbing little areas. I need to try one of those electric sanders you can put scotchbrite pads on. My arm is killing me!

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4503.jpg

Some would say, "Dude Fisch, just sand that sh*t down and repaint it!" But I have a love for original patina on a ride. And I'd like to roll this with the original paint, flaws and all. At least for while. (Though I am a bit worried what it will look like where the fiberglass is on the fenders!) The Garage Auto Hero rat is a good inspiration!

DSC_0069.jpg

Where the hell have I been.

Nice score Scott. Like everyone I can't wait to see what ya do with new piece.

Oh why you wearin all them clothes. Big ol jacket long pants and sock hat? :P

Glad to hear this car is in the hands of a true Datsun lover. Congrats Fisch.

Chris sent me an email and told me how nice you and your wife are and that is is happy that Chapman has a good new home.

Looks like alot of work to get the paint off. You will have big muscles when you are done.

Looks like alot of work to get the paint off. You will have big muscles when you are done.

I felt like Karate Kid. "Wax on, wax off." I'd love some door art on there Gary, some pin-up action too!

Do some mad ninja paint to it. Like ninja turtle style... Ok spent way too much time at work today lol.

Funny, you know the Ninja Turtle headquarters is right down the road from me in Northampton MA! But nah I can't go too icon cartoon with it, not that the TMNT aren't cool. Just don't want it to end up like that Jimmy Nuetron 510 on Ebay a while ago!

It will have ol skool shop truck flavor for sure.:lol:

First I will get it down to the original paint, by then hopefully the ideas will be flowing. Man my fingers are sore this morning from scrubbing that paint!

I am already feeling bad for my 1959 and my 521! Don't know when they are gonna get the love they deserve!