Fisch's '71 510 LZ22 - "Chapman" Fogs and Bre Spook+art

fisch

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Charlie!

I had a thought about the paint removal, wondering if it would be easier if it wasn't so cold outside. It barely hit 40 yesterday. I should blast an area with a heat gun to warm it up and see if it helps!

Tomorrow is my birthday and I am hoping to get a lot of bill paying work done today so I can spend tomorrow scrubbing off paint!

Tomorrow is my birthday and I am hoping to get a lot of bill paying work done today so I can spend tomorrow scrubbing off paint!

Happy birthday! I love your plan to work on your 510 on "your day"! My birthday is today and I'm working on my 510 because it's "my day"! :P

Thanks Dennis! I know Chapman was hard for Chris to let go of after 20 years of ownership, but we hung out for a while at my house. I showed him the studio, and all the crazy nutty art things I do, like robot puppet building out of old junk. Spent some time in the garage looking at the 1959 Datsun and oil drop 521 with its crazy pinstriped dash and he stopped me at one point and said something like, "Man I feel really good about this."

Plus I am local enough that he will see Chapman again. Not mention he gave me free license to call or e-mail if I run into any problems. (Which you know I will!)

I think the Datsun he has brewing next will totally help him through the transition! He is poking his head into this thread here and there and emailed to say, "it is fun to see it transmogrifying (to quote a Calvinism) back to yellow. GO BACK TO WORK!!!!" :P

I was kind of shocked when Chris sold his 510 since I have been following it on the bluebirds list for around 5 or 6 years. It is great that it fell into your hands so you can treat it well.

Do you have a link????? I would love to get some in depth reading about the build of this car.

I want to see a build link too! I have searched the bluebirds list and get a few mentions here and there. But I think Chris mentioned there are more on Datsun510.com but the site is down.

Chris has an entire photo album of actual photos from the life of this car. He is going to send it to me at some point so I can see it and copy it!

Paint removal progress continues! I have found the best technique is to put Acetone in a spray bottle. Squirt it on and quickly scrub with a scotchbrite pad. Do a whole section this way til you have a swirly paint mixture. then go over it a second time with the acetone (or that spray paint remover) with a cloth.

(Edit- Charlie reminded me about a electric sander. I used the Black and Decker Mouse. It it a great shape and is velcro, so you can buy any scotchbrite pads and they will stick to it as well as the Black and Decker brandScotchbrite pads. Spray on the acetone and sand away. Keep reapplying (it evaporates fast!)as you go. You can even cut them to shape if you desire. I need to find a janitor supply place to get a cheap source for pads!)

I read that Acetone is a lesser toxic thinner. (Nail polish remover) but I still wore a respirator the whole time!

You are looking at about 12 hrs of scrubbing so far!

Lots of yummy patina under there. Might have to do something about the rear QPs though. The body work really jumps out on the light yellow. I think I may have thought of a way to get more paint over it in a graphically cool way until i can afford (and source) rear panels.

Love this shot, like some kind of crazy car wash!

IMG_0250.jpg

Almost anything that looks like rust is actually still just spots of paint. Like this rocker is virtually rust free! Just harder to bend over and scrub so I will get it later!

IMG_0251.jpg

Where we stopped for the night. I actually enjoy this sort of thing. Like a zen garden for me.

IMG_0255.jpg

Nice work.FYI- i have a black and decker "mouse" sander. It has scotchbite pads that attach to it. It's a small teardrop shape sander i use mostly on drywall. Save the hood for last, it will look kinda cool camo on the yellow car!

Actually I forgot to mention that Charlie! I have that sander too! It worked wonders (until it was too late for the noise!) and FYI any scotchbrite pads will stick to it because of the velcro! You can buy the cheap ones.

I am leaving the roof for last. (see how I kinda taped it off?) That bit might hang around for a while!

Looking great there Fisch. Here is a link to bulk maroon pads. I go through these by the case doing hardwood floors. You can rinse them out if they start to clog. You could also color sand that 510 with some 320 or 400 to really clean off anything that the acetone doesn't get and then buff it out. I did this on my 1200 and it really brings the color back up.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-9-Inch-General-Purpose/dp/B000LPN3WQ

I was thinking with your mad art skills you could air brush those lower rear qp's to look like asphalt that got eaten up by this little beasty.

Looking great there Fisch. Here is a link to bulk maroon pads.

Nice! I've been using green pads from Home depot. Are the reds more aggressive or less aggressive would you say?

Probably a touch more. If you want a "lighter" pad go with the gray ones from 3M. I cut these into 5" rounds and use them on my Bosch random orbital for all sorts of stuff. They hold onto the hook and loop pad great. For auto work I also change over to a soft pad on the sander. If you are in the market for an electric random o, don't even think about anything other than the Bosch stuff. More aggressive and last about twice as long as a DeWalt. Don't buy the cheapest one but step up a notch to this one. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-3725DEVS-5-Inch-Variable-Canister/dp/B00008NFDM/ref=sr_1_81?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1290619270&sr=1-81

It takes me about two years to wear this out to the point that it needs a rebuild. Great tool for the money.

Just harder to bend over and scrub so I will get it later!

Try doing that with my back! Just put the whole car up on jack stands, the higher the better. Then it is easier to do the entire sides, especially the rockers. I have an antique version of this creeper

brake_creeper.jpg and sit and roll to do the rockers.

Looking good!